Overrated bands

Re: Popguns: Lovejunky - now Suede hate

> No matter how many times I've listened to "Dogmanstar", I just
> don't get it. I've tried listening to it in the dark, drunk, sober, happy,
> miserable, loud, quiet and it passes me by. It's the most overated album
> of indie and of the 90's. So you're not a Suede fan then? I'll shout you
> creamy thick pint of proper ale! Brett's lyrics at times are laughable.
> Best New Band In Britain, my arse.

God no, I loathe them! Bratt Underpants always seemed so... affected in interviews. Always scowling and sucking in his cheeks and trying to be clever. You got the feeling that he'd studied Bowie and Bryan Ferry for their looks and mannerisms, but missed the point by a good mile. And his lyrics - yes, rubbish. A string of cliches and the same old themes strung together (usually involving the words "street" and "concrete" somewhere along the way), in the hope that it will take on some gloss of deep meaning.

Your taste in ale impresses me. Cheers!

TMF

Blimey, I was going to pen something about The Siddleys Vs The Popguns, but first Suede. The lyrics are rubbish. He's always going on about petrol, fuel, diesel, lighter liquid...pointless. He's tried to glamourise living in high rises on council estates but compared to the likes of Pulp or the rather good Pony Club, he falls behind. What really got me was the infamous quip "I consider myself a bisexual man who hasn't had a bisexual experience." There he was really copying Bowie and Morrisey and trying to set upself up as some tortured poppinjay living in squalor. Maybe if he had the courage to come out I would have had more respect for him. And as for all that arse whipping with the mic, that was so lame, as is that dreadful lank, greasy flopover fringe that he sports. Bah ugly. I had the misfortune of hearing some of the new ballads from the new album while standing in a record shop 't other Saturday. Talk about trugid. A pox on him and his band. In the year 2003 Suede cease to matter.

Bravo! Eloquently put and bang on the money. 'The Guardian' published an interview / feature on Elastica's Justine thingy, who of course has some history with he of the upturned snout. If you read it, you'll discover that far from living in squalor ("oo, it's SO glamorous!" - prick) he actually lived in a fairly swanky flat. The effete toff. A plague on his trousers!

TMF

Re: Popguns: Lovejunky - now Blur hate

Heh heh, yes read the article a week or so ago. Justine, Brett and that mockney prat Damon were all art school wankers. Wasn't/isn't Simon Gilbert the ginger the openly gay one? He gets my respect. I think he might have once been beaten up for his sexuality. Unlike Brett who thought that comments like his would "help smash the system". A draft dull little man with a bad sense of fashion. Suit tops, so very lame. So shall we put Damon up next for a right kicking? :).

Re: Popguns: Lovejunky - now Blur hate

> So shall
> we put Damon up next for a right kicking? :).

Yes, he deserves it. I hate all that "apples and bananas, luverly jubbly awight me old china sparrow knees up muvva brarn" mockney shite and have absolutely zero respect for people who do it (apart from Steve Marriott, but he did it to act in character / take the piss). Art school wankers as you say. Very true. It reminds me of those dreary Guy Ritchie films. Plus, being from the north I have an in-bred loathing for such people. I prefer Joy Division.

TMF

Re: Popguns: Lovejunky - now Blur hate plus Mockneys

More 'Mockneys'. Jamie Oliver. Guy Ritchie. Mylene Crass from Heresy. All private school nobs who for whatever reasons decided that talking in a slovenly way would improve their careers. Death, plague, pox and supermarket own label cornflakes to them all!

TMF

Re: Overrated bands (keeping the thread alive)

> I picked up a couple of second hand Loop albums a few years ago. I think
> they're quite forgetable.

I saw Loop live once. They were too loud and boring.

TMF

Overrated :-

1. Elvis Presley,
2. Queen,
3. Most other 80's music.

> Overrated :-

> 1. Elvis Presley,
> 2. Queen,
> 3. Most other 80's music.

i think the 80's as a whole was overrated.....simply horrible

Re: Popguns: Lovejunky - now Blur hate plus Smashing Pumpkins and Beck

I can't stand that chirpy mockney Jamie Oliver. He was on our telly last night with his "Oliver's Twist". With his bee stung lips and smile he's the sweetheart of old grannies watching, but I think he's a twat. Mind you his rocket and mint salad with peaches and lots of olive oil did look rather nice... He can take his barra and wheel it down some other street.

Up against the wall also goes whiney American Billy Cogan from the dreadful Smashing Pumpkins, and Beck, lo-fi mumbo jumbo singer. Of course the Cure are already there.

> I can't stand that chirpy mockney Jamie Oliver. He was on our telly last
> night with his "Oliver's Twist". With his bee stung lips and
> smile he's the sweetheart of old grannies watching, but I think he's a
> twat. Mind you his rocket and mint salad with peaches and lots of olive
> oil did look rather nice... He can take his barra and wheel it down some
> other street.

> Up against the wall also goes whiney American Billy Cogan from the
> dreadful Smashing Pumpkins, and Beck, lo-fi mumbo jumbo singer. Of course
> the Cure are already there.

the cure? what have you got against the cure?

Re: Underrated bands (keeping the thread alive)

You'll be pleased to know I picked up the 12" single of Pale Saints' "Fine Friend" in the weekend MF. I think it pretty much gives me all their releases. A very wonderful band. Perfect for our autumn overhere. I know you're a fan of them. Whatever happened to Graham btw? There's still life in this thread...

> I can't stand that chirpy mockney Jamie Oliver. He was on our telly last
> night with his "Oliver's Twist". With his bee stung lips and
> smile he's the sweetheart of old grannies watching, but I think he's a
> twat. Mind you his rocket and mint salad with peaches and lots of olive
> oil did look rather nice... He can take his barra and wheel it down some
> other street.

excellent.. to quote, 'the rocket and mint sald looked nice'.. LoF, you are surreal.

Did you see England team-mates Danny Grewcock beating Lawrence Dallaglio up in the Rugby union cup final yesterday. He'd get a 5 stretch for that on the streets of any industrial town!

Re: Underrated bands (keeping the thread alive): Pale Saints

> You'll be pleased to know I picked up the 12" single of Pale Saints'
> "Fine Friend" in the weekend MF. I think it pretty much gives me
> all their releases. A very wonderful band. Perfect for our autumn
> overhere. I know you're a fan of them. Whatever happened to Graham btw?
> There's still life in this thread...

Did someone include the Pale Saints in the underrated category? I would have done if nobody else did. I'm not familiar with the 12" you mention. When's it from? I lost interest around the time of the 2nd LP though. And yes, I would class them as a wintry band. "The Comforts of Madness" is perfect for frosty evenings - the exact opposite of the weather here at the moment (for a change).

TMF

Yes yes yes. I never saw the appeal of the Smashing Dumbkins. There were a slew of bands in the early 90s whose appeal went way over my head. Pearl Jam being another. Dreadful. And Jane's Addiction. Be off with you.

I'm amazed how the Cure have managed to string out a career on Fat Bob's bedtime fear of creepy crawly spiders getting in his hair though.

TMF

Heh heh, ah yes, the Cure too many songs about spiders and sticky up hair. I also have too many bad memories of going to student parties in my youth where there would always be the fat goth girl that nobody would want to snog, but some how someone would, wearing a Cure tshirt, drinking cider and screaming out "Put Love Cats on". "A Forest" should be renamed a dirge. And Fat Bob is a QPR fan.

I think we can add The Lemonheads to the hate list as well. Evan Dando went quite off the rails and became the perfect example of someones head going right up their arse. Wonder where he is now?

Trampling the English Rose (hopefully)

Well Ruffian, June the 21 (I think that's the correct date) will see the true measure of the rugby world. England vs New Zealand at the caketin in Wellington. The All Black squad got named yesterday, and by all accounts England are sending a full strength squad down under, for what promises to be a tense and exciting match. England are still the favorites for the World Cup in November. A fact I'm finding hard to digest. The Springbox have be our traditional foe, but of late over the past couple of seasons they haven't been much of a force. The Australians, seem to be waning in rugby prowess, yet still strong. Although I can cope with being beaten by these teams, never the English. (no offence) Loosing in rugby to the poms is just a reversal of nature. It's wrong. I can't wait to see some of those public schoolboy rugby players of yours at the bottom of a good old southern hemisphere ruck. Do England still have the heavest front row?

There is a good chance I might be back in dear old London town in October. So Ruffian, shall we put a pint on this game? And hopefully come October we might be able to raise our glasses in support of the best team and the winners of the World Cup?

> Evan Dando
> went quite off the rails and became the perfect example of someones head
> going right up their arse. Wonder where he is now?

Errrm, he has a new album out, hasn't he, called "Baby I'm Bored" ? On Setanta, as it happens (yet another label that didn't sign Morrissey recently.) It's quite good.

Re: Trampling the English Rose (hopefully)

> Well Ruffian, June the 21 (I think that's the correct date) will see the
> true measure of the rugby world. England vs New Zealand at the caketin in
> Wellington.

The Caketin? Is that for real. Blimey. Must be some history attached to that corker of a name.

The All Black squad got named yesterday, and by all accounts
> England are sending a full strength squad down under, for what promises to
> be a tense and exciting match. England are still the favorites for the
> World Cup in November. A fact I'm finding hard to digest.

Here's a knife and fork.. be prepared to eat those rugby words!

The Springbox
> have be our traditional foe, but of late over the past couple of seasons
> they haven't been much of a force.

Yeah.. agree. All there best players are overseas and they don't get selected..

The Australians, seem to be waning in
> rugby prowess, yet still strong.

Never under estimate those boys.

Although I can cope with being beaten by
> these teams, never the English. (no offence) Loosing in rugby to the poms
> is just a reversal of nature. It's wrong.

Never a better chance than now.

I can't wait to see some of
> those public schoolboy rugby players of yours at the bottom of a good old
> southern hemisphere ruck.

Our esteemed record breaking mate Jason leonard is a good old Essex boy! No public school there! Not sure if its so Old school oreintated nowadays.

Do England still have the heavest front row?

Could be.. Vickery and Thomson are Gods! Just see them go..

> There is a good chance I might be back in dear old London town in October.
> So Ruffian, shall we put a pint on this game? And hopefully come October
> we might be able to raise our glasses in support of the best team and the
> winners of the World Cup?

I'll have a drink with you of course. If I don't get swept under a ten truck in between days!

Ruffian

> Heh heh, ah yes, the Cure too many songs about spiders and sticky up hair.
> I also have too many bad memories of going to student parties in my youth
> where there would always be the fat goth girl that nobody would want to
> snog, but some how someone would, wearing a Cure tshirt, drinking cider
> and screaming out "Put Love Cats on".
Oh gawd... even now, at discos there'll be a fat goth bird with BO dancing to the bloody "Love Cats" with their hands up under their chin like a demented Meercat. It's also possibly the band's worst single.

> And Fat Bob is a QPR fan.
Well, I didn't know that. I wonder if was at Cardiff on Sunday?

> I think we can add The Lemonheads to the hate list as well.
Hmm. I didn't think much of the early albums, but I do like "It's A Shame About Ray", as it's full of short, hook-laden tunes. But I didn't buy any later ones.

TMF

meercat.jpg

Back
Top Bottom