OUT NOW: The Smiths 'Under Review' DVD

stinky

Links:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...6390910-3151040?_encoding=UTF8&s=dvd&v=glance

http://www.play.com/Music/MusicDVD/4-/930562/-/Product.html?searchstring=smiths+under+review

Mine arrived this morning from play.com. VERY very disappointing. Better than 'The Jewel In The Crown' DVD in that actual Smiths music is used, but the footage is simply the usual video stuff we've all seen on 'The Complete Picture' (plus some very short snippets from The South Bank Show special). This is despite the back cover of the box saying that it contains rare never-before-seen footage.
The main bulk of the 90 mins documentary is made up of interviews with Tony Wilson, Stephen Street, Paul Morley, thingy Simpson etc. obviously done at the same time as the The Jewel In The Crown interviews.
'Extras' include a 25-question quiz (the person who wrote the quiz has obviously been reading The Severed Alliance) and biographies of the interviewees. Oh, and an ad for The Jewel In The Crown.

So really only buy if you do not know the story of the Smiths or do not own The Complete Picture.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the heads up!

zom

Not surprising

I knew it was going to be shite. Ah well... It´s a f***ing shame that Warners (or whichever corporate cocksucker) has yet to do a proper Smiths re-introduction. No DVD, no proper remastered reissues of the albums... no nothing! f***ing shameful.

The sad thing is that we have to resort to these smattering of unofficial DVDs and they all have Tony Wilson going, "Oh, Steven this Steven that.." - terrible and boring.

There....off my chest, etc.

Ordered & received mine at my shop.
Watched the contents, put it back onto the shelf for anyone who would want it. A total rip-off.

Forgot to say (which will further put you off):

• Any footage used (including a tiny segment of Charlie's Bus) is completely UN-remastered. (In fact I have better quality on a clip downloaded from the internet and a bootleg video of The South Bank Show.)
  • And, as my non-techy wife commented, any graphics used look like they've been done on a Spectrum computer, e.g. the quiz.
  • And Yes, Tony Wilson does continually refer to Morrissey as Stephen and summarises the Smiths split by saying "Everybody including Johnny and Angie had just had f***ing enough." (I think that clip is also used in The Jewel In The Crown.)

Back
Top Bottom