Other bands/songs that sound like The Smiths?

A

Anonymous

Obviously the Smiths' sound was unique, but Johnny Marr's style and influences can be easily traced back to the 1950/60s, as well as Morrissey's vocal style and lyrical content.
Despite that, their chemistry inspired a new generation of artists after them and continues to do so. Would love to listen to some!

Please post your suggestions. (Songs that inspired Moz and Marr and songs that were influenced by Moz and Marr)

I've long been a fan of Liverpool 80's band The Room. Although they formed a few years before The Smiths, their final album 'In Evil Hour' has a certain early Smiths melancholy to it.

Slightly off topic so apologies but I've recently released a series of demos and this one was most inspired by the music of Morrissey

Check out the label Sarah Records (out of Bristol, if I remember correctly). Late 80’s early 90’s indie pop. Very influenced by the Smiths.
Try these two for a start:

A very new band from Reading, England. If you believe in an artist I think it is a good idea to support them by simply sharing and helping them gain popularity.

Check out the label Sarah Records (out of Bristol, if I remember correctly). Late 80’s early 90’s indie pop. Very influenced by the Smiths.
Try these two for a start:

Love almost everything by Sarah Records. Even As We Speak are my personal faves.

Love almost everything by Sarah Records. Even As We Speak are my personal faves.
It’s a great label for indie pop! EAWS made some great singles indeed.

I certainly think that Martin Briley is similar to the Smiths. Check out his album "One Night With A Stranger"--it's a great art rock record! Briley also played guitar on Julian Lennon's 1984 album Valotte.

I also think Morrissey was influenced vocally by Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music.

Mia Morgan · Waveboy

Deliberately in the style of if you read the translated lyrics, even mentions Morrissey.

Listen to all the pre-2000 Belle And Sebastian albums

Back
Top Bottom