Original Promo Poster: I Started Something. Current bid $3. Ends Today!

Re: I Started Something promo poster on Ebay, mint condition

What a ripoff:D

No problem. Just asking because I've noticed loads popping up as well, for quite a few months, and I remember a seller from a few months ago who I was thinking of buying something off and they had tons of these posters, for really high prices, and it all seemed a bit suspicious.

It's real. All this paranoia is uncalled for.

I'm the seller and I'm also the one whose framed promo posters appeared in the NME a couple of years ago (I don't have a photo handy, but it did make the rounds on this site at the time.)

I can't vouch for the others that have been turning up on Ebay, since I haven't been paying attention, but I can confirm that this is an original poster, not a knock-off.

Cheers,
Scott.

Oh, my username is grlmopz1.
Opening bid is $0.99 - a rip-off, indeed, Beau. :)

Everyone who raises the specter of fakes has no idea about collecting, and hasn't been doing it for very long, if at all.

Scott is showing how to do an eBay auction, not one of these ones with a silly opening bid, or worse, a reserve price. My comment was meant to be ironic, intended to illuminate this fact.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Dave, it's funny you mentioned that. I had a full post all typed out stating similar comments as yours. I decided not to post as I didn't want to detract from the auction above.

That is the one poster I've seen over and over again. I had mentioned anything over $20 would be too much. I had two copies of it at one time and one of them I think I got for $15 shipped.

The wider availability of it may stem from the fact it was from the last record and they may have made greater runs on it. If there was one of these promo posters that I'd have thought had been duped just based on availability, it would have been this one. I don't think it was but it's hard to say. As a side note, the only poster I'm fairly certain was re-printed was the original "The Smiths" poster. The stock doesn't even come close to that of all the others and the print isn't 100% crisp. Pretty darned good, though.

Hmmm...I wonder how frequently fakes pop up? It seems unlikely due to their size and colouring that they would be easy to duplicate. Last year a guy put up a faux William poster on ebay. I won the auction and received a heads up from another ebayer before payment. I emailed the seller who quickly admitted it was a copy, and offered me the chance to back out, which I did of course. BUT once I saw a picture of his compared to the original, the colouring wasn't even close; it looked way too green. It was terrible really.

What does everyone else think on the issue of how common fake promo posters really are? I think it can't be that common.

I have two copies of the "I Started Something" poster - both bought separately and sometime apart. One is folded in half, the other mint. Both have the same flaw - a mark on the "T" of "The" at the top of the poster - Flax managed to clean it up when he posted it on his site http://www.vulgarpicture.com/images/smiths/hi/1987/hi_1987_istarted_poster.jpg

I'm happy that both are genuine. Even though, in theory, both could be copies of an original that was flawed.

The only one i'm suspicious of the "Louder than bombs" - I know that the original wasn't in the standard 12x24 format and neither is mine, but it's printed on really thick cardboard (more like a subway poster rather than a glossy poster) - the seller on ebay had an awful lot of them - but they have since dried up.

Dave

I have a poster for the debut, and I've always been uncertain about those. That seems to be the one that shows up in weird places. I got mine from a seller who has 100% feedback rating, and had a seemingly legit story to obtaining the poster. But I've seen so many of those on ebay I've questioned to be original, that it scares me a little.

Back
Top Bottom