Morrissey Central "OPEN LETTER TO JOHNNY MARR." (January 25, 2022)

This is not a rant or an hysterical bombast. It is a polite and calmly measured request: Would you please stop mentioning my name in your interviews?

Would you please, instead, discuss your own career, your own unstoppable solo achievements and your own music?

If you can, would you please just leave me out of it?

The fact is: you don’t know me. You know nothing of my life, my intentions, my thoughts, my feelings. Yet you talk as if you were my personal psychiatrist with consistent and uninterrupted access to my instincts. We haven’t known each other for 35 years - which is many lifetimes ago. When we met you and I were not successful. We both helped each other become whatever it is we are today. Can you not just leave it at that? Must you persistently, year after year, decade after decade, blame me for everything … from the 2007 Solomon Islands tsunami to the dribble on your grandma’s chin ?

You found me inspirational enough to make music with me for 6 years. If I was, as you claim, such an eyesore monster, where exactly did this leave you? Kidnapped? Mute? Chained? Abducted by cross-eyed extraterrestrials? It was YOU who played guitar on ‘Golden Lights’ - not me.

Yes, we all know that the British press will print anything you say about me as long as it’s cruel and savage. But you’ve done all that. Move on. It’s as if you can’t uncross your own legs without mentioning me. Our period together was many lifetimes ago, and a lot of blood has streamed under the bridge since then. There comes a time when you must take responsibility for your own actions and your own career, with which I wish you good health to enjoy. Just stop using my name as click-bait. I have not ever attacked your solo work or your solo life, and I have openly applauded your genius during the days of ‘Louder than bombs’ and ‘Strangeways, here we come’, yet you have positioned yourself ever-ready as rent-a-quote whenever the press require an ugly slant on something I half-said during the last glacial period as the Colorado River began to carve out the Grand Canyon. Please stop. It is 2022, not 1982.

Morrissey. January 2022.

0-2.jpg

Marr, January 26th:

Some related posts moved to this thread: Johnny Marr responds to Morrissey's open letter via Twitter (January 26, 2022)

Related item:
Media items:

😲
Just a guess - reunion's off 😂
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference is Morrissey isn't mentioning them in almost EVERY interview.

That's because he's only interviewed by his nephew or through email. When was his last interview he did with actual press? That disastrous German one?

Pretty sure I never said who I was a fan of. But you can put whatever imaginary words you get a kick out of in between the words I actually wrote.
sorry, it seemed you were defending them.
I care not.
Oh, good then.
I have no issue with either party writing whatever they want about each other but in your posts you seem to have a problem with it

No, everyone is free to speak freely. As I’m allowed to speak freely about
this subject.

and have almost implied you can't listen to The Smiths any more because of what JM has said.

Nah, I said that I would need to separate the art from the artist in this case, which is what some have said in regards to the music Morrissey has had a hand in creating.

I don’t see why you should have a problem with this. I mean, did you
criticize those that said they can’t listen to Morrissey any longer?

That of course is your choice as it is both of their freedoms to write whatever they want whenever they want to.
Sure.
Now what outsiders may see from this
Why do you care what outsiders see?
is JM answering questions in an interview and then Morrissey writing a letter that he felt obliged to make fully public instead of private asking him to not talking about him. To an outsider it just looks a little purile.

Yes, it’s awful that they see it that way. What can you do?

If he had just ignored it no outsiders would probably have even noticed or would not have probably chosen to read such interviews.

He ignored it for years. Regardless if others notice it or not, it’s that he notices it, and has been noticing it through the years.
Speculation aside, it’s not for us to say what should and what should not upset Morrissey, or anyone.

And outsiders that are not particularly Marr fans, may have read a Marr interview simply because the contents of the headline may have included the name Morrissey or Smiths.

Now everyone sees the whining and it just looks daft.

Does ‘everyone’ see it as whining and looking daft? ‘everyone’?

Last edited:
That's because he's only interviewed by his nephew or through email. When was his last interview he did with actual press? That disastrous German one?
Go have a look at archive interviews... Morrissey has a pop at other artists and that's that..it's done. it's over !
And why would being interviewed by his nephew stop him from persistently mentioning someone ?

Go have a look at archive interviews... Morrissey has a pop at other artists and that's that..it's done. it's over !
And why would being interviewed by his nephew stop him from persistently mentioning someone ?

Because Morrissey controls the interviewer, his nephew. Johnny talks to actual members of the press. These journalists asks their own questions and write their own articles ad headlines. Why shouldn't Johnny be allowed to say what he likes? Why does Morrissey have to make a big stink about it - oh yeah, to get press on the back of Johnny's name. How things have changed!

Because Morrissey controls the interviewer, his nephew. Johnny talks to actual members of the press. These journalists asks their own questions and write their own articles ad headlines. Why shouldn't Johnny be allowed to say what he likes? Why does Morrissey have to make a big stink about it - oh yeah, to get press on the back of Johnny's name. How things have changed!
1. So Morrissey has carte blanche to say what ever HE wants, which could be to continually mention a specific person if he wished, even more so but doesn't.
2. I never said he couldn't, of course he can say what he likes.
3. Well, that's absurd, isn't it ? Morrissey can mention just about anyone of note and it hits the press, certainly doesn't have to be Marr's name.

The difference is Morrissey isn't mentioning them in almost EVERY interview.
I am pretty sure there aren't that many interviews. It is his right to say what he wants just as Morrissey has said what he wants throughout his career.

Do you think he should be not able to express his views?

sorry, it seemed you were defending them.

Oh, good then.

No, everyone is free to speak freely. As I’m allowed to speak freely about
this subject.

Nah, I said that I would need to separate the art from the artist in this case, which is what some have said in regards to the music Morrissey has had a hand in creating.

I don’t see why you should have a problem with this. I mean, did you
criticize those that said they can’t listen to Morrissey any longer?

Sure.

Why do you care what outsiders see?

Yes, it’s awful that they see it that way. What can you do?

He ignored it for years. Regardless if others notice it or not, it’s that he notices it, and has been noticing it through the years.
Speculation aside, it’s not for us to say what should and what should not upset Morrissey, or anyone.

And outsiders that are not particularly Marr fans, may have read a Marr interview simply because the contents of the headline may have included the name Morrissey or Smiths.

Does ‘everyone’ see it as whining and looking daft? ‘everyone’?

In terms of the outsiders yes it is important because it is those outsiders who will be deciding in the future whether to give him a record deal, or invest in a tour, etc etc

It isn't generally fans who decide on these things, it is business men and women who have the money and the PR expertise on board to decide if they want to be in the middle of this nonsense. His brand will already scare most people away and this kind of media demonstration/squabble/whatever you want to call it, just doesnt help any case for a future.

Yes I would think that most people who would be at some point trying to decide whether to invest their cash would be looking at this as purile, daft and whining. They generally like their PR teams to be focused on the music promotion and not having to spend time dealing with public media outbursts that may or may not cause detriment to their investment.

If he gets upset by these things then as I have already said, as someone who has dished out so many attacks on others over the years and has been in the media spotlight for so many decades that he would by now be able to express his dislike if he so feels the need to do so in a letter privately to Johnny. But that would be assuming that was the objective of the letter and not another quite formulaic "look at me being picked on again" thread.

For the sake of his fans he should be focusing on his product and that future and getting to a position when he is more than just a media outlet so that he is able to get the support from a team and a label to continue who his fans want. Otherwise all that will happen is maybe a couple more decades of just these kind of periodic media flashes to kindle the likes of fanbase website adoration. I would assume you would like something more than that.

There have been many periods in his live when he has also continually taken a pop at the same person over and over in interviews and on stage. Research the feud with Robert Smith for example.

And are you saying the problem is not that JM has said what he said in that article but that you think there should be a limit to the number of times he is allowed to speak his mind?

When does freedom to speak stop being freedom to speak in relation to opinions. Should he say in the next interview he does when he gets asked about M "sorry I have already been asked once this year about M and that is all I am allowed"?

In terms of the outsiders yes it is important because it is those outsiders who will be deciding in the future whether to give him a record deal, or invest in a tour, etc etc
It isn't generally fans who decide on these things, it is business men and women who have the money and the PR expertise on board to decide if they want to be in the middle of this nonsense.

Ok, so by the term ‘outsiders’ you mean people associated with the bigger decisions made at a record label.

Well if there are no fans, then how and why would labels be interested?

The fans also decide and play an obvious role in a label’s decisions.

His brand will already scare most people away

What is Morrissey’s ‘brand’?

and this kind of media demonstration/squabble/whatever you want to call it, just doesnt help any case for a future.
For both of them, I agree.
Yes I would think that most people who would be at some point trying to decide whether to invest their cash would be looking at this as purile, daft and whining.
Or they may believe in ‘bad publicity
is better than no publicity’ in regards to their exchange.
They generally like their PR teams to be focused on the music promotion and not having to spend time dealing with public media outbursts that may or may not cause detriment to their investment.
Do they? Can you cite an example?
If he gets upset by these things then as I have already said,

as someone who has dished out so many attacks on others over the years
I don’t see a connection.
and has been in the media spotlight for so many decades that he would by now be able to express his dislike if he so feels the need to do so in a letter privately to Johnny.

Why?

But that would be assuming that was the objective of the letter and not another quite formulaic "look at me being picked on again" thread.

It could be looked at in several ways.
And there are different opinions on it. One day someone will ask Morrissey why an open letter?

For the sake of his fans he should be focusing on his product

I have to disagree with you, he shouldn’t be focusing on ‘product’ at all, and I’m sure he doesn’t. Though who’s to say that he’s not focusing on getting his album out, and also writing new songs,etc?

and that future and getting to a position when he is more than just a media outlet so that he is able to get the support from a team and a label to continue who his fans want.
Fans want?
What Otherwise all that will happen is maybe a couple more decades of just these kind of periodic media flashes to kindle the likes of fanbase website adoration. I would assume you would like something more than that.

He does things on his own terms, and I would like to see him doing what he has chosen to do.

Ok, so by the term ‘outsiders’ you mean people associated with the bigger decisions made at a record label.

Why?

And there are different opinions on it. One day someone will ask Morrissey why an open letter?

I have to disagree with you, he shouldn’t be focusing on ‘product’ at all, and I’m sure he doesn’t. Though who’s to say that he’s not focusing on getting his album out, and also writing new songs,etc?

Fans want?

He does things on his own terms, and I would like to see him doing what he has chosen to do.
How about autobiography 2 ?
With the real truth about
Everything.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s my fave
book of all time,
As we all know there must be sooo
Much more he hasn’t told us...
Even about JM ....
And their correspondence since
The split.....
I’d sell my unwanted soul to know
The goss .

Everything.
book of all time,

Even about JM ....
The split.....

Over the years, it’s not been Morrissey’s way to milk the split,etc

The goss .

no one’s surprised.

It is his right to say what he wants just as Morrissey has said what he wants throughout his career.

Do you think he should be not able to express his views?

:head-smack:

Of course it’s Marr’s right!

And it’s Morrissey’s right to make a request, there’s no demand, there is no threats being made.

1oo percent jilted the Pep no doubt about it.
this may whats up with the LePep he may be in love with Moz
the signs are all there, bizarre behavior, going to the ocean with tiny little britches and posting for all to see:expressionless:
"im making a supergroup with a pair of twats so we can make
a I Told You So Tour" Pep, Moz is grown, as if Moz would take note, like a schoolgirl what shanda!!

and Macca bounced him:grimacing:

:hammer:
I did think Johnny maybe had some feelings with Moz he could not deal with, he was even asked by an interviewer if he was in love with Moz and he quickly answered 'no, because I was in love with Angie'. I don't believe him, I think he loved them both, it is that kind of love that produces the kind of bitterness Johnny has.
He was all look at my sexxaaay bodaaay in his tiny britches, which I actually found repulsive and I am sure Moz did too. Johnny is not an attractive person. He does wear girls clothes tho, those floral shirts and short jackets he was wearing were women's clothes from ebay, someone asked Aly and Ory and that's what they said, they even posted a pic of the blue velvet jacket and you could see the tag was Jones New York women. I wondered if they lent him their clothes but they are much larger than :guardsman: Little LePep

I did think Johnny maybe had some feelings with Moz he could not deal with, he was even asked by an interviewer if he was in love with Moz and he quickly answered 'no, because I was in love with Angie'. I don't believe him, I think he loved them both, it is that kind of love that produces the kind of bitterness Johnny has.
He was all look at my sexxaaay bodaaay in his tiny britches, which I actually found repulsive and I am sure Moz did too. Johnny is not an attractive person. He does wear girls clothes tho, those floral shirts and short jackets he was wearing were women's clothes from ebay, someone asked Aly and Ory and that's what they said, they even posted a pic of the blue velvet jacket and you could see the tag was Jones New York women. I wondered if they lent him their clothes but they are much larger than :guardsman: Little LePep
Pretty disappointing that you started out making sensible posts/points (of course he loved them both) - then sunk to this Vegan Cro crap. Morrissey used to wear women's blouses all the time.

Pretty disappointing that you started out making sensible posts/points (of course he loved them both) - then sunk to this Vegan Cro crap. Morrissey used to wear women's blouses all the time.
I did notice the Lepep crap💂
Not even sure what dumbass means by “Lepew”

Why?

Fans want?

I think the history of problems with him getting a record deal, a credible management team and PR team answer most of your returning questions.

You may be happy with him doing exactly what he wants and that is entirely ok if he could produce and release his own albums (and that is what 'product' means) on his own and not be totally dependent on a record label and team.

He really needs the backing of a label in order to continue to produce albums and that is now a considerable issue for him because labels need more than giving money and support to someone who insists on doing what he wants and saying what he wants. Its a business contract and most labels have no issues with signing successful artists who don't cause this kind of stir and especially one who has lost a large percentage of his fanbase over recent years due to vocalising opinions. Regardless whether those opinions are valid or not, that isn't the point. They want their investment to be secure and to guarantee a significant return on their money. When anyone likes that or not it is the way it works.

I work in the industry and can assure you the general feeling is one of 'not him again, you would think he has learnt the self destruct lesson already'. No one would very willingly go running to offer him a deal

Everything.
book of all time,
Even about JM ....
The split.....
The goss .
I think you will find the goss will be on him rather than from him about others.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom