online music documentaries

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
Lady Gaga, 5 foot 2 on Netflix. I thought, maybe watching it would change my mind about her. Well, it didn't. I cannot believe why and how this person became famous. She irritated the crap out of me with the pompous persona, demands, insecurities and over the top ego interlaced with the whining and crying spells throughout the film. She even shows her tits, as if that could somehow make up for the loss of my time.
You just described Morrissey.

I'm not joking. It's the exact set criticisms that have been leveled at Morrissey.

He did show his tits many times during live shows. The horribly robust, and saggy ones that saw the woman in him oozing outwards at last.

He showed his ass with graffiti written on it, presumably after it was invaded by hoodlums.

I don't care for Gaga, but she hasn't said anything remotely as ridiculous as the things Morrissey routinely rattles off.

Physician heal thyself.

I'll probably watch the Gaga doc. Her first two albums, the fame and the fame monster were great. Isn't she supposed to be in the middle of a divorce in this or something as well as I some sort of health crisis

Jean-Jacques Goldman helped me pass my French tests at school. Every day before an exam I'd learn the text in the textbook by heart and listen to his album and sing along to get into the French mood. With great success. I even passed my French Abitur exam with a good mark. So far I didn't know anything about him as a person and musician, only his music, even though I already suspected that he was looked down upon by certain people in France, so it is interesting to discover this docu on him on Arte.
https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/072324-028-A/abgedreht/

okay, i am about to accept my fate, namely to stay indoors for another two or three days to cure a cold. unfortunately i also have a few days off, so it's actually my freetime that i'm wasting hanging around here. damn. if you have any more recommendations for music docs, i'd be happy to know. probably i won't be able to get through a punk or slasher metal docu today, but it's not lost, i'll return to it later.
i found this complete movie on yt called "the art of listening" which is kind of smoothly slathering itself inbetween my worn out neural pathways. a couple of months ago, there was only the trailer available. so i am looking forward to this one. starts off in nashville and explains why the audience likes intimate venues that allow to emotionally connect with the artist, which sounds nice, but i wonder whether the artist always wants to be emotionally available to fans? sometimes, i guess, you only want to get a job done. anyway, here is the movie...

Edit: was boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
found a live cd with tim b. at my local second hand cd and vinyl shop today and now this docu on jeff b.

found a live cd with tim b. at my local second hand cd and vinyl shop today and now this docu on jeff b.

If you wanna go for three try out his bio a pure drop. I liked it and found it pretty informative as well as well written. On an extreme side note it sometimes amazes me what people will get upset with morrissey over but totally give a pass on other artists behaviors. Morrissey might make some political statements people don’t like but he never abandoned his child to chase fame and drugs. Time relationship or lack of one with his father was pretty sad

This is well worth the watch. The link won't work so here's a fresh one.

Irregular Regular recommending a skinhead documentary made me feel as weird as Birger:

mqdefault.jpg

What will happen next, Maradona taking up football again but this time playing by the rules?

Irregular Regular recommending a skinhead documentary made me feel as weird as Birger:

mqdefault.jpg

What will happen next, Maradona taking up football again but this time playing by the rules?

No.
He would be sniffing away the white lines on the field with his second nose. :cool:

If you wanna go for three try out his bio a pure drop. I liked it and found it pretty informative as well as well written. On an extreme side note it sometimes amazes me what people will get upset with morrissey over but totally give a pass on other artists behaviors. Morrissey might make some political statements people don’t like but he never abandoned his child to chase fame and drugs. Time relationship or lack of one with his father was pretty sad
thanks, i keep a pure drop in mind. i guess you are talking about tim b. who abandoned his pregnant wife? in comparison jeff b. seems to have led an exemplary life, the mother making sure that he did not get sucked into his father's self-destructive, drug-fuelled lifestyle too early. this means that she was probably trying to keep jeff away from tim as long as possible offering him a reliable stepfather. but both, father and son, had, maybe genetically, a proneness for addiction in common.

thanks, i keep a pure drop in mind. i guess you are talking about tim b. who abandoned his pregnant wife? in comparison jeff b. seems to have led an exemplary life, the mother making sure that he did not get sucked into his father's self-destructive, drug-fuelled lifestyle too early. this means that she was probably trying to keep jeff away from tim as long as possible offering him a reliable stepfather. but both, father and son, had, maybe genetically, a proneness for addiction in common.

Yes tims abandonment of Jeff. It's been a while since I've read it but it opens talking about the two times I think they met, Tim and Jeff, an dit just seems so sad. Honestly I think I remember him talking about the impact his step father had on him. Introduced him to zeppelin. Really though it's everyone from the cobains of the world to the the chris browns. It's not like I don't listen to music made by people who've done some terrible things but it just reminds me how much people can overreact to morrissey or compartmentalize things in general. Morrissey vaguely mentions a ukip candidate and there done with him but if a musician abandons a child beats his wife or has sex with an underage groupie well they can get over that. Maybe it's just cause these things are more previlant in lots of people's lives. Anyway that's just an aside rant but it was a real sad moment I thought in the book, his first meeting with his father, which was a good read. His time growing up in the small suburbs to his music school training to starting his own band and the sin e days etc

Yes tims abandonment of Jeff. It's been a while since I've read it but it opens talking about the two times I think they met, Tim and Jeff, an dit just seems so sad. Honestly I think I remember him talking about the impact his step father had on him. Introduced him to zeppelin. Really though it's everyone from the cobains of the world to the the chris browns. It's not like I don't listen to music made by people who've done some terrible things but it just reminds me how much people can overreact to morrissey or compartmentalize things in general. Morrissey vaguely mentions a ukip candidate and there done with him but if a musician abandons a child beats his wife or has sex with an underage groupie well they can get over that. Maybe it's just cause these things are more previlant in lots of people's lives. Anyway that's just an aside rant but it was a real sad moment I thought in the book, his first meeting with his father, which was a good read. His time growing up in the small suburbs to his music school training to starting his own band and the sin e days etc
yes, thanks for elaborating on this. i agree that there is a lot of unconstructive hysteria amongst people about what morrissey says, said or did not say as if they are just happy to throw some stones at him. but at the same time fascist propaganda uttered by other people is accepted as a right of freedom of speech. the sad moment that you described when tim met jeff for the first time reminded me of a scene in this townes van zandt docu be here to love me when townes is visited by his oldest son j.t. for the first time, the son being all excited as he had only known his father from album covers and posters, but after a few days calls his mother to take him away from his dad's place as he just couldnt stand his dads depressed drug abuse and the nausea connected with it any longer. seems that jeff never felt that angry about his bio dad, tim
there is this docu on jeff b's grace album in ten parts which looks fine:

yes, thanks for elaborating on this. i agree that there is a lot of unconstructive hysteria amongst people about what morrissey says, said or did not say as if they are just happy to throw some stones at him. but at the same time fascist propaganda uttered by other people is accepted as a right of freedom of speech. the sad moment that you described when tim met jeff for the first time reminded me of a scene in this townes van zandt docu be here to love me when townes is visited by his oldest son j.t. for the first time, the son being all excited as he had only known his father from album covers and posters, but after a few days calls his mother to take him away from his dad's place as he just couldnt stand his dads depressed drug abuse and the nausea connected with it any longer. seems that jeff never felt that angry about his bio dad, tim
there is this docu on jeff b's grace album in ten parts which looks fine:

I don’t think Jeff even spent a day with Tim. The first time he saw him, aside from a visit when he was two, I think was when his mother took him to see a show of his when jeff was eight then not even going by Jeff but by the name Scotty Moorhead. He watched the show and met tim after and talked to him for a very brief time before going home. Tim died shortly after that show. I don’t know how much he could miss someone he didn’t know or a father who didn’t even send him a card but he was for sure haunted by his musical ghost as everywhere he went people remarked about how he sounded and looked just like him. Gotta be weird to have your fathers presence more present in your life him an adult and his father long dead

I don’t think Jeff even spent a day with Tim. The first time he saw him, aside from a visit when he was two, I think was when his mother took him to see a show of his when jeff was eight then not even going by Jeff but by the name Scotty Moorhead. He watched the show and met tim after and talked to him for a very brief time before going home. Tim died shortly after that show. I don’t know how much he could miss someone he didn’t know or a father who didn’t even send him a card but he was for sure haunted by his musical ghost as everywhere he went people remarked about how he sounded and looked just like him. Gotta be weird to have your fathers presence more present in your life him an adult and his father long dead

must have been more difficult living up to that name, for his father was really talented, Jeff not as much.

must have been more difficult living up to that name, for his father was really talented, Jeff not as much.

Depends on how you measure it I guess. Buckley was a very talented guitarist and I think was a better vocalist than his father though maybe not as interesting. Tim Buckley made some admittedly interesting music but it never moved me much while last goodbye I think is truly heart wrenching. Cliche made potent by sincere emotion and and a fantastic performance. Mojo pin is also excellent. It’s also important to note I think that Jeff only made one real album and would have probably imo perfected his work had he continued making music instead of drowning

Depends on how you measure it I guess. Buckley was a very talented guitarist and I think was a better vocalist than his father though maybe not as interesting. Tim Buckley made some admittedly interesting music but it never moved me much while last goodbye I think is truly heart wrenching. Cliche made potent by sincere emotion and and a fantastic performance. Mojo pin is also excellent. It’s also important to note I think that Jeff only made one real album and would have probably imo perfected his work had he continued making music instead of drowning

yes, you're right he might have made great records like his fathers work if he didn't drown.

it is said in the above-mentioned docu that jeff met him twice, once for this show and another time for a longer period of one week when he stayed with tim, his second wife and their adopted son. after this visit at their home he decided to become a musician as well. i can imagine that he enjoyed being compared to a man he hardly knew but who had been such a fine musician, like suddenly being offered an explanation for the artistic side in him. and i don't know whether being compared with your parents' achievements always has to be negative, as long as you are convinced of your own individual talent, this sounds good to me, it also opened some important doors for him in the music business. i guess he was probably trying to surpass his father's success (which wasnt that difficult, as tim had never sold many albums) which motivated him to find new ways of expression, and kinda take revenge on him quietly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom