One week on - LIHS purchasing behaviour poll

Have you bought LIHS yet?

• Said I’d buy it and bought it.

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Said I’d buy it but didn't.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Publicly announced I wouldn’t buy it on one or more websites and didn't buy it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Publicly announced I wouldn’t buy it on one of more websites but cracked and bought it anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Publicly annouced I wouldn’t buy it and haven’t, but struggling with the temptation

• Publicly announced I wouldn’t buy it and haven’t but managed to access the music through other means

• Kept quiet, but bought it

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Kept quiet, and haven’t bought it.

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
Over the years, I’ve bought every album Morrissey has put out. It hasn’t always been easy. He almost lost me after Southpaw Grammar and probably would’ve done after Maladjusted if it hadn’t been for the matter of the seven year silence which followed and made him interesting again. Since then, he’s given so many interviews in which he’s made comments which have led me to wonder if it’s time to cut my ties but the music has always won through.

This year, for the first time, he’s put out a new album and I haven’t bought it. This is mainly because I don’t want to associate myself with the politics-though the busy sleeve and the “No bus, no boss, no rain, no train,” lyric didn’t help-but I am finding myself cracking. However repellent I find his views, and however embarrassed I’d be queuing up with a copy at HMV, I can’t help thinking I’m missing out so I wondered how other people have responded.

Other, I'll buy it when I get around to it, deliberately didn't do my bit on release day by buying twenty copies or whatever it is Morrissey fans do these days.

I bought it in Week 2 deliberately so it wouldn't feed in to the Week 1 sales. The cover is awful. The other one with the child in the trolley is much better.

I was looking for a new blue tooth speaker for the gym. I was looking at the Marshall woburn and saw Best Buy had one, so my wife and I went down there to test it out. I bluetoothed to it, cranked that thing to high and then walked a couple of aisles over to see how it carries. I played "Israel" from a video. I was so clear and loud, literally going completely across the warehouse style store. Man, his voice is almost unnaturally good in this song. I only played the the first two verses, those are provacative enough for the test.

The speaker is heavenly but I'm torn between actually getting a two channel setup like the edifier s2000 pros or the klipsch ones. Perfect song for the test of clarity though.

Over the years, I’ve bought every album Morrissey has put out. It hasn’t always been easy. He almost lost me after Southpaw Grammar and probably would’ve done after Maladjusted if it hadn’t been for the matter of the seven year silence which followed and made him interesting again. Since then, he’s given so many interviews in which he’s made comments which have led me to wonder if it’s time to cut my ties but the music has always won through.

This year, for the first time, he’s put out a new album and I haven’t bought it. This is mainly because I don’t want to associate myself with the politics-though the busy sleeve and the “No bus, no boss, no rain, no train,” lyric didn’t help-but I am finding myself cracking. However repellent I find his views, and however embarrassed I’d be queuing up with a copy at HMV, I can’t help thinking I’m missing out so I wondered how other people have responded.

Pshh... Southpaw Grammar is great. Malajusted is 50% great and 50% mediocre. Why does an artist's views have to align with yours in order for you to enjoy their material?

Pshh... Southpaw Grammar is great. Malajusted is 50% great and 50% mediocre. Why does an artist's views have to align with yours in order for you to enjoy their material?

They don't, simply they don't, but they do have the right to have their say, both sides of the aisle. That is what solo is here for.

I like Southpaw.

It helps doesn't it? I don't have to align with them, just not oppose. For example, I could never be into Eric Clapton. Morrissey is edging into his territory.

They don't, simply they don't, but they do have the right to have their say, both sides of the aisle. That is what solo is here for.
I've had my face dragged through 15 threads of shit...
And I do not
And I do not
And
I
Do
Not
LIKE IT!

I like Southpaw.

It helps doesn't it? I don't have to align with them, just not oppose. For example, I could never be into Eric Clapton. Morrissey is edging into his territory.
I don't follow old Clappers, which territory is that?

I don't follow old Clappers, which territory is that?

Ah! There's a video circling online somwhere from the 70's where he gets a bit racey. And by racey I mean racist. It isn't just that it's all of it. I can listen to a Clapton record and get it but I'm never going to be into him, you know.

I don’t think the politics have to align as such. Bryan Ferry seems to be quite right wing and I bought his jazz album. I’m also reasonably comfortable when bands like Belle and Sebastian and the Proclaimers espouse Scottish independence, even when, as left-of-centre Englishman, I know I’d be condemned to years of Tory misrule if they had their way. The problem with Morrissey is that the areas where he and I differ-immigration, Brexit, responsibility for sexual assault-are the sort of things that I’ve grown up to see as lines in the sand. I know that he’s entitled to hold and articulate those views but knowing that he does makes it harder for me to take the music on its merits.

Re: Maladjusted, maybe I was unfair. There are three brilliant songs on there, but the rest is filler. I stand by my comments on Southpaw, though.

Ah! There's a video circling online somwhere from the 70's where he gets a bit racey. And by racey I mean racist. It isn't just that it's all of it. I can listen to a Clapton record and get it but I'm never going to be into him, you know.
I don’t think the politics have to align as such. Bryan Ferry seems to be quite right wing and I bought his jazz album. I’m also reasonably comfortable when bands like Belle and Sebastian and the Proclaimers espouse Scottish independence, even when, as left-of-centre Englishman, I know I’d be condemned to years of Tory misrule if they had their way. The problem with Morrissey is that the areas where he and I differ-immigration, Brexit, responsibility for sexual assault-are the sort of things that I’ve grown up to see as lines in the sand. I know that he’s entitled to hold and articulate those views but knowing that he does makes it harder for me to take the music on its merits.

Re: Maladjusted, maybe I was unfair. There are three brilliant songs on there, but the rest is filler. I stand by my comments on Southpaw, though.

I'm assuming those 3 songs from Malajusted are
Alma Matters
Trouble Loves Me
Malajusted?
Southpaw never quite reaches greatness but it's very solid from start to finish. It's bookended by two epics. Never understood the hate other than it's perhaps a jarring follow up to Vauxhall which was quite delicate and dreamy overall.

I'm assuming those 3 songs from Malajusted are
Alma Matters
Trouble Loves Me
Malajusted?
Southpaw never quite reaches greatness but it's very solid from start to finish. It's bookended by two epics. Never understood the hate other than it's perhaps a jarring follow up to Vauxhall which was quite delicate and dreamy overall.
Actually, I’d have had Ambitious Outsiders in place of Alma Matters, but that’s not a bad song either. With Southpaw, there was an element of disconnect with what had gone before but there were a lot of songs that didn’t work for me at all. The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils was great, but I hated everything else apart from the last three minutes of The Operation. I sometimes wonder if his career might have panned out differently if, instead of putting out those two albums, he’d followed up Vauxhall with a combination of the best tracks from both and maybe one or two of the better b sides from the same period.

Actually, I’d have had Ambitious Outsiders in place of Alma Matters, but that’s not a bad song either. With Southpaw, there was an element of disconnect with what had gone before but there were a lot of songs that didn’t work for me at all. The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils was great, but I hated everything else apart from the last three minutes of The Operation. I sometimes wonder if his career might have panned out differently if, instead of putting out those two albums, he’d followed up Vauxhall with a combination of the best tracks from both and maybe one or two of the better b sides from the same period.
Ambitious Outsiders? *shudders* Sorry, I'm not a fan of that song. The synthetic strings just make it sound so cheap.

The album he should've followed Vauxhall with could've been the boxers and Sunny singles combined with a few of the softer Southpaw outtakes.

1. You should've been nice to me
2. Whatever happens I love you
3. Sunny
4. Have a go merchant
5. Blacked eyed Susan
6. Honey you know where to find me
7. Nobody loves us
8. Boxers
9. Swallow on my neck
10. Jack the ripper (re-vamped to sound like the live version)

I'm confused by the 'publically announced' options. Do people normally stand at the end of their street with a loud-hailer, saying "Hear ye - hear ye - this week I will be buying the new Morrissey album"?

By ‘publicly announced’, I meant ‘mouthed off on the internet’, which is what I did, though the loudhailer option sounds more fun.

Back
Top Bottom