On this day

abbatts-04102022-0001.jpg

(Abbatts - IG)

40 years previously.
You know the rest.
FWD.

Extremely sparkly interview 20 years ago to the day.

Dave Fanning, Irish DJ on RTE Radio 2, does the honours. His genuine bubbly passion for music equals Morrissey’s. His knowledge of The Smiths’ history and grasp of what’s been going on with fans is exceptional as well, allowing for this svelte yet fond exchange. A transcription of both parts of the interview was luckily save by Morrissey-solo –

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/dave-fanning-interviews-morrissey-the-transcript.14327/

For me, the choice quote is towards the end of part 1:

DF: It’s the obvious thing that people have this phrase, a lot of British journalists have of “Being Morrissey”, where you can get a wry little sentence out that sort of dismisses any question that might have to go into too much detail or whatever…is that a defensive mechanism, or does it exist at all?

M: Well, I think it’s…I think it defines a certain type of sort of…supposedly willowy, but ummm….feisty character, I think. So it simply defines a type. I think…maybe not.

DF: Well, it’s not for you to have to worry about, I suppose..

M: It’s not for me to worry about, because…I am Morrissey.:bell:

Note that the opening echoes Morrissey’s recent pursuit of a record deal.

Here’s another good quote from the second part:

DF: Is there a comfort zone, Morrissey, that you like to kind of…maybe…get to, with a lot of things..I mean, comfortable is a word you’ve used a lot, like…you’re not comfortable flying, ‘the greatest comfort is solitude’ you’ve said, you’re not comfortable as being seen as weird, that’s fine by you…is there a certain thing of it? A level of where you want to be and comfort is really describing it?

M: Well…yes, it’s the point whereby you can look after yourself, because you understand yourself and eh…does that make sense? Yes?

DF: Yeah, it does, yeah..

M: And it must just be one of those old hoary, with a ‘h’, age things, whereby you simply understand yourself and at the same time, when you reach that point, you realise that you’re not so bad after all.

"On this day in 2009, the “Speedway” artist ended his arena show one-and-a-half songs in, after taking what many claimed to be a beer bottle to the face," American Songwriter tells us. "Only minutes before, the Mirror reported, Morrissey greeted the crowd with matched excitement, saying, “It’s Saturday. It’s Liverpool. It’s raining. It’s perfect.” He then kicked off the night with the Smiths’ classic “This Charming Man.”
- https://americansongwriter.com/on-t...ops-concert-after-being-hit-by-a-beer-bottle/

1986-12-12-Ticket-Stub-04.jpg

Rescheduled for today - December 12, 1986.
Last gig ever for The Smiths.
FWD.

37 years ago today, friend of the site Stephen Wright took an iconic photograph:

2012.png

His account:

"The Smiths at the Salford Lads Club.
Apparently it’s the most famous photo of The Smiths and that makes me smile.It’s the band not the photo that’s classic! Tho’ I love it that people enjoy it years later and that I caught them at their magnificent peak.

To me I count myself so very lucky, as a huge fan to have got the opportunity to see and shoot The Smiths live and then to get to meet them and shoot the Salford Lads image. The first live show I shot was in 1984 at the Free Trade Hall – I was so skint I could only afford one reel of film and had to walk a long way home. From this show I caught the shot of dead flowers hanging from his jeans, but my favourite now is of Morrissey waving flowers above his head, shot from the side of the stage. More live shows followed and then Rough Trade asked me to shoot a session …

‘That’ photo was shot on a cold, dark, winter day in Salford, yet somehow it has a darkness that sets the right mood. I and friend George Pace went to shoot the session mid December with a pocketful of film and a bit of taxi fare. It seems so casual and un-posed and in a way that’s just how it came together.

These days its been accepted as part of the collections of the
National Portrait Gallery, the Manchester Art Gallery and the Salford Art Gallery. All rather funny when the original film was processed in a darkroom in my bedroom -with the chemicals kept in old drinks bottles!"

See also:
FWD.

37 years ago today, friend of the site Stephen Wright took an iconic photograph:

View attachment 87061

His account:

"The Smiths at the Salford Lads Club.
Apparently it’s the most famous photo of The Smiths and that makes me smile.It’s the band not the photo that’s classic! Tho’ I love it that people enjoy it years later and that I caught them at their magnificent peak.

To me I count myself so very lucky, as a huge fan to have got the opportunity to see and shoot The Smiths live and then to get to meet them and shoot the Salford Lads image. The first live show I shot was in 1984 at the Free Trade Hall – I was so skint I could only afford one reel of film and had to walk a long way home. From this show I caught the shot of dead flowers hanging from his jeans, but my favourite now is of Morrissey waving flowers above his head, shot from the side of the stage. More live shows followed and then Rough Trade asked me to shoot a session …

‘That’ photo was shot on a cold, dark, winter day in Salford, yet somehow it has a darkness that sets the right mood. I and friend George Pace went to shoot the session mid December with a pocketful of film and a bit of taxi fare. It seems so casual and un-posed and in a way that’s just how it came together.

These days its been accepted as part of the collections of the
National Portrait Gallery, the Manchester Art Gallery and the Salford Art Gallery. All rather funny when the original film was processed in a darkroom in my bedroom -with the chemicals kept in old drinks bottles!"

See also:
FWD.
I think more people would be intrigued by this update about an iconic photo. Good find!

The_Enchanted_Desna_MS.jpg

Well, 34 years ago today (!?), a certain Mr. Adams & myself were sat in a cold Wolverhampton - about to be very happy...
FWD.

(Taken from the Hacienda's own camera feed).

40 years.
Good grief.
FWD.

Christian Dior 'arrives' 76 years ago today with his 'New Look' collection:

"Christian Dior (1905-57) launched his couture house on 12 February 1947 and became an overnight sensation. His voluptuous first collection featured hand-span waists above enormous skirts. It was christened on the spot by Carmel Snow, editor of American Harper's Bazaar, as the 'New Look', and was the antithesis of masculine wartime fashions..." - https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O138234/new-look-jacket-dior-christian/

hi_1984_smiths_poster.jpg

This album reached Jack Benny's favourite age yesterday: 39.
(Was busy).
FWD.

hi_1987_worldwontlisten_poster.jpg

Has it ever listened?
Released today in 1987.
FWD.

Happy 60th birthday Lyn Boorer.
Having slept on her floor once as I couldn't get home - I have nothing but kind thoughts for her.

lyn-resize.jpg

FWD.

suedeheadsociety-13032023-0002.jpg

Happy Birthday to Brendan Buckley.
Born today: March 13, 1974.
Regards,
FWD.

250377-viva-hate.jpg

Viva Hate, March 14, 1988.
(8 days later USA).

Add too: Vauxhall And I - March 14, 1994.
(8 days later USA also).

52536_gettyimages-85036338-2048x2048~2.jpg

Happy 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom