On this day in history

H

Herpes Harmonica

Please add historical or personal events or just anything that happened on the same day a year or many years ago.

A year ago on this day Man United won the FA Cup at Wembley beating Crystal Palace 2-1 after extra time.

160521203642-manchester-united-exlarge-169.jpg

The same clubs met today on the same date in the final league game where United beat Palace 2-0.

May 22 1959 Born again atheist, practising trouble-maker.
May 22 2004 Coming Home concert, has a few regrets, but then again, too many to mention. Nicest birthday he had, .......so far.
22 May 2017 nicest birthday party he had, ...... So far.
Too early, I know I am and early birds are food for the cat. :(

Edited:
22 May 2017 probably the worst birthday he has ever had.
22 dead innocent, young people on his birthday in Manchester.
It must be a sad day for him too.

Last edited:
May 22 1959 Born again atheist, practising trouble-maker.
May 22 2004 Coming Home concert, has a few regrets, but then again, too many to mention. Nicest birthday he had, .......so far.
22 May 2017 nicest birthday party he had, ...... So far.
Too early, I know I am and early birds are food for the cat. :(
His best birthday was the one in 1999 when Man United won the treble by winning the third trophy of that season in Barcelona in the Champions League final beating Bayern Munich.

manutdmunichST_450x300.jpg

On this day in 1999 Manchester United won the Champions League in Barcelona after coming from a goal down to beat Bayern Munich with two late goals. The winner scored by norwegian super sub Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

1999-Champions-League-Final.jpg

I was in Manchester and appeared on Granada just before the game started. The entire night feels like a dream now and I ended up in Stretford being offered shrooms but declined the offer. I was high enough as it was.

On this day in 2004 Manchester United won the FA Cup Final in Cardiff beating Millwall 3-0 with captain Roy Keane lifting the trophy just a few hours before Moz entered the stage in Manchester for his birthday bash gig that my then girlfriend went to.

article-2306015-00EE6D4D1000044C-797_634x424.jpg

The fans watching this game on a big screen in central Manchester can be seen on the Morrissey hometown gig video of the occasion.

On this day in 1999 Manchester United won the Champions League in Barcelona after coming from a goal down to beat Bayern Munich with two late goals. The winner scored by norwegian super sub Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

I was in Manchester and appeared on Granada just before the game started. The entire night feels like a dream now and I ended up in Stretford being offered shrooms but declined the offer. I was high enough as it was.

On this day in 2004 Manchester United won the FA Cup Final in Cardiff beating Millwall 3-0 with captain Roy Keane lifting the trophy just a few hours before Moz entered the stage in Manchester for his birthday bash gig that my then girlfriend went to.

The fans watching this game on a big screen in central Manchester can be seen on the Morrissey hometown gig video of the occasion.

The UCL '99 Final was on the 26th May, but i'm all for remembering that any day of the year. Utd had come back from countless losing positions that season, the FA Cup ties with Liverpool, and especially Arsenal, Keane sent off, stoppage time penalty save from Schmeichel, Then beating Juve in Turin after going two goals down inside 10mins. I remember that season to the detail. We even had two 3-3 draws with barca in the group stage. I thought it was all undone in that Final tho, we didnt even look like scoring, Bayern hit the woodwork 2 or 3 times and played us off the park. Unforgettable season.

The UCL '99 Final was on the 26th May, but i'm all for remembering that any day of the year. Utd had come back from countless losing positions that season, the FA Cup ties with Liverpool, and especially Arsenal, Keane sent off, stoppage time penalty save from Schmeichel, Then beating Juve in Turin after going two goals down inside 10mins. I remember that season to the detail. We even had two 3-3 draws with barca in the group stage. I thought it was all undone in that Final tho, we didnt even look like scoring, Bayern hit the woodwork 2 or 3 times and played us off the park. Unforgettable season.
It stated 26th of May online

LOL

I thought it odd that United would have won yet another trophy on Moz's birthday.

Thanks for clearing that up, it is 18 years ago already.

United won the FA Cup on the 22nd May 1999 beating Newcastle at Wembley.

manchester-united-celebrate-beating-newcastle-united-in-the-fa-cup-gtge75.jpg

Those days are all a blur to me. Took a whole summer to make it sink in.

On this day in 334 BC The Macedonian army of Alexander the Great defeated Darius III of Persia in the Battle of the Granicus, I remember it well.

Poster Rifke laughed at the children of Manchester dying. Today.

Solksjaer played for Ajax too. :)

On this day in 2002 my mother passed away surrounded by family and friends. It doesn't feel like 15 years ago but time flies.

She wasn't just my mother but also a great friend and I miss the lengthy discussions we had about life in general. I am glad I spent a lot of time with her.

She was on a popular radio show once and I helped her with the answer so that she won a few records. I still have it recorded on tape and when she was asked what song she wanted them to play she asked for this one.

Back
Top Bottom