On the streets I ran

biru

get the f* out of my lawn
I just got really into this song as I think the lyrics are fantastic, but Morrissey's singing is awful in it, it's very weak.... Maybe that's one of the reasons why I, not knowing before, instantly adored YoR so much, his singing in it is absolutely spectacular... after listening to YoR, On The Streets I Ran seems completely horrid... does anyone agree? I wanted to check if I'm being extremely picky or if someone noticed the bad quality of Morrissey's singing in that song... specially the blunt "...is claim to know the real you" in which he loses his voice and the rest of the singing which seems to be pretty fragile when I think the lyrics demand a stronger interpretation... like the one given to Something is Squeezing my Soul, perhaps?

Anyway, just wanted to know opinions since I searched the song in here but all the posts were really old and most were closed already... I think the lyrics in RotT are fantastic and now I see why most put it in front of YoR when asked to rank it... the truth is, I only got to appreciate it's beauty now.

In the time I've been registered on here, I've heard little other than bad words about this song.

I however love the vocal and the music. I like the strained, anguished quality Morrissey brings to it (and I don't use 'strained' derogatorily).

I never understood why this song earned so much bad criticism. It was my favorite ROTT-song from the beginning.
Amazing song, outstanding lyrics.

In the time I've been registered on here, I've heard little other than bad words about this song.

I however love the vocal and the music. I like the strained, anguished quality Morrissey brings to it (and I don't use 'strained' derogatorily).

I never understood why this song earned so much bad criticism. It was my favorite ROTT-song from the beginning.
Amazing song, outstanding lyrics.

Don't get me wrong, I love the lyrics and the song... I listened to ir around 30 times today, it is a brilliant piece, I just don't think Morrissey's singing does it justice.... and he has a beautiful voice, we all know that.

It's one of my favorites from ROTT. I like it that it's so different from the other ones. It's very well played and I like the fast-paced vocals, with no chorus. To me, it does feels as if morrissey were in some sort of angst.

I love this song, music and lyrics and Moz's interpretation. I think it could have been a single. Perhaps the song is presented exactly the way Moz intented it?

I think people have been far too harsh on the song. The last lines of the song are something that only Morrissey can deliver:

And when the palmist said:
"One Thursday you will be dead,"
I said:
"No, not me - this cannot be
dear God, take him, take them, take anyone
the still-born, the new-born,
the infirm - take anyone
take people from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- just spare me."

Brilliant.

It's one of my favorites from ROTT. I like it that it's so different from the other ones. It's very well played and I like the fast-paced vocals, with no chorus. To me, it does feels as if morrissey were in some sort of angst.

I've always felt that he was singing about how as a teenager he ran from the violent beer louts.

i love this song especially when the chorus kicks in.
when I'm in my car I always beat the steering wheel like i'm conducting..

Last edited by a moderator:
strangely enough this is one of the only songs from ROTT that pops into my head randomly and that i get a hankering to hear.

i like it when his voice breaks a little bit :D lends drama and character to the performance

(i also LOVE LOVE LOVE on 'you were good in your time' where he takes that audible breath around 1:20 in. :horny: )

his voice isn't bad per say, it's just very strained and sounds strained, because he's singing on such a high register. the whole of ROTT is sung very high, which i personally don't like as much. YOR sounds much better because he's singing a bit lower and it's a more comfortable range for him. i don't know why he decided to go so high for ROTT.

anyways, on the streets i ran = MANCHESTER. summed up. end of.

Fkn love this song! Love his voice cracking at 2:22 and the line "Here everybody's friendly but nobody's friends" was my signature on this site for ages till I changed it.

The ROTT bashers need to clean out their fkn ears!!!

One of my least favorite Morrissey songs ... something just doesn't click right, it seems the band is playing a completely different song to what Moz is singing .. just doesn't fit right. The cracking voice is annoying too, I know it's bound to happen at gigs, it's unavoidable and totally forgiveable, but on an album? Come on...

One of the better songs from ROTT. I've always thought that it was missing something to make it a really great song. I put it down to the production.

One of the better songs from ROTT. I've always thought that it was missing something to make it a really great song. I put it down to the production.

I love the song, especially the vocal's rawness and urgency brings the life into the song.

Uncleskinny commented before the lyrics is one of the best.

Pity so many people under-rate ROTT. :(

When I play it at home (I have a nice seperates hi-fi set up) it's fine. On the move through the mp3 player earphones it doesn't work so well. I think there are production issues with this track.

When I play it at home (I have a nice seperates hi-fi set up) it's fine. On the move through the mp3 player earphones it doesn't work so well. I think there are production issues with this track.

:confused:

I think your mp3 player is causing the problem.

I listened two different mp3s, the song sound excellent on both of them.

:confused:

I think your mp3 player is causing the problem.

I listened two different mp3s, the song sound excellent on both of them.

My mp3 player is fine. I'm a bit of an audiophile (on the qt) so have a tuned ear. I'm comparring the sound through earphones on an mp3 (which is a poor format -fact!), to my seperates system. This song suffers greatly. I am simply offering a potential factor into the differing thoughts on this song.

It beats "I like it", "I dont"? :)

Well what a rum business not liking this classic slice of Moz rock! The line 'turning sickness into unpopular song'. Moz has always had some blunt and not very artful lines in his songs and this is one of those lyrics.

Tags
otsir rott yor
Back
Top Bottom