Omitting Personal Pronouns...why?

S

Skylarker

I've noticed a strange modern trend in texts and forum posts where people do this thing that just makes no sense to me.

They will state something but omit the 1st person narrative personal pronoun...

Example:
instead of saying "I went to the store today." They will say "went to the store today."
Lots of people do it; I was doing it for awhile too but I caught myself. Why? How much time are you saving by omitting the word "I"?

Or it's almost like you are dying in a spaghetti western or old movie and you can't form a full sentence so you just abbreviate for dramatic effect. Or really it's like old fashioned telegraph messages.

It's silly.

'STOP'

I've noticed a strange modern trend in texts and forum posts where people do this thing that just makes no sense to me.

Example:
instead of saying "I went to the store today." They will say "went to the store today."
Lots of people do it; I was doing it for awhile too but I caught myself. Why? How much time are you saving by omitting the word "I"?

Or it's almost like you are dying in a spaghetti western or old movie and you can't form a full sentence so you just abbreviate for dramatic effect. Or really it's like old fashioned telegraph messages.

It's silly.

'STOP'

Don't know what you mean...

Think it's stupid too.

Joe Petrosino is dropping adverbs.

13962980431_15cb6af821_c.jpg

Example:

It's silly.

'STOP'

I'm guilty of doing this. I suppose I do it because I feel that's it's more informal and chatty - much like how I'd speak in real life, that's not to say that I talk like some knuckle scraping Neanderthal or anything :lbf:

Sometimes as well I just want to get to the nub of the point and miss it out, not good on my part though.

Example:

It's silly.

'STOP'

Guilty of this, along with an overuse of ellipses. With me it's certainly just an internet/forum thing. I'd never write a formal letter in that way. I somehow fell into the habit.

Depending on what else I have to do I go back and correct it, but I annoy myself by doing it. I write as I speak unless it is an important document, and I have sometimes wondered if I started to do it to quickly get the core idea of what I was attempting to say across as succinctly as possible, but it might be plain old laziness.

Either way I consciously try to avoid it now, not always successfully.

This is the dumbest complaint I've ever heard.

You think it's normal to complain about "f*****s" on the internet, but shortening sentences when typing on touchscreens is just unfathomable to you.

I love those spaghetti westerns. The little girl was unexpected. :lbf:

Me too. What is your favorite?

I've always been partial to Duck, You Sucker...Rod Steiger as a Mexican is endlessly amusing. And that Morricone soundtrack is to die for.

Thought this was funny. Laughed out loud.

Me too. What is your favorite?

I've always been partial to Duck, You Sucker...Rod Steiger as a Mexican is endlessly amusing. And that Morricone soundtrack is to die for.

That is one that I haven't seen. I'm going to put it on my watch list.
I've always been partial to the Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The GB& Ugly.
Yep, I used to have a Clint Eastwood poster hanging in my room. :o

I've always been partial to the Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The GB& Ugly.

For A Few Dollars More
is my favorite if you pretend The Good, The Bad & The Ugly doesn't exist.

Clint is badass. I used to have a great big poster of him from The Outlaw Josey Wales...I have no idea what happened to it.

My friends have a rather large poster of this in their living room. I've always meant to watch it and never got around to it. Maybe this weekend. :cool:

locandina.jpg

Back
Top Bottom