Olly Murs - 'You Are The Quarry' blew my mind (Nov. 2016 article)

The biggest surprise of the Albert Hall concert was surely X-Factor sensation Olly Murs tweeting from the venue with his parents. A little research reveals he's something of a fan...

The X-Factor star Olly Murs: My six best albums - Express.co.uk
OLLY MURS, 32, was runner-up on The X Factor in 2009 and had a string of No1 singles including Please Don’t Let Me Go and Heart Skips A Beat. His new album 24 HRS is out today and he starts a tour next March.

By CAROLINE REES
PUBLISHED: 00:01, Fri, Nov 11, 2016

Excerpt:

"MORRISSEY: You Are The Quarry (Decca) My mum and dad are fans and for years I asked them to stop playing him. But when I got to about 17, I was more adventurous and this album blew my mind. At family parties, we play a few Morrissey songs and it brings us together. A great songwriter, a great voice – and I love his quiff."

Link posted by an anonymous person in the Royal Albert Hall post-show thread (original post):

42444_olly_murs_rah.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Olly Murs This track is aimed at you, you f***ing moron!

OH NO some jerkoff likes Morrissey! I'd better burn my fan club card!

Oh wait... That's easily 1/3 of all people who like Morrissey.

I think I'll keep it.

For now.

@ Olly Murs This track is aimed at you, you f***ing moron!

I have no idea who Olly Murs is, but I sure know who Morrissey is. YATQ was a revelation. A return of such epic proportion that it drew me in the first playing. Lines like:

"And I will die with both of my hands untied" and "until you've seen the dawn rise behind the home for the blind" or "and a bullet in his gullet" and "There is something I wanted to tell you
it's so funny you'll kill yourself laughing, but then I, I look around and I remember that I am alone, alone for evermore."

Forget the quiff, he is so much more than a haircut, and given the state of music today style over lyrical content makes me want to puke. Don't take me to the Murs. Please!

Not sure why people are dissing Olly Murs for liking Morrissey. The lad is actually very successful in the UK and has released 5 platinum selling albums.

Not sure why people are dissing Olly Murs for liking Morrissey. The lad is actually very successful in the UK and has released 5 platinum selling albums.

He finished third on the X-factor. He is a Simon Cowell creation.
He has never released a memorable song and his fanbase is/ was predominantly pre-teens and stay at home housewives.

And the Kid isnt even a Looker

In fairness he seems a nice enough cheeky crappie. Sorry chappy.

Spice Girls and Take That sold records too!

No, it's just more lock-jawed pop-stars
Thicker than pig-shit
Nothing to convey
So scared to show intelligence
It might smear their lovely career

He finished third on the X-factor. He is a Simon Cowell creation.
He has never released a memorable song and his fanbase is/ was predominantly pre-teens and stay at home housewives.

And the Kid isnt even a Looker

In fairness he seems a nice enough cheeky crappie. Sorry chappy.

What’s any of that got to do with people dissing him because he likes Morrissey?

I have no idea who Olly Murs is, but I sure know who Morrissey is. YATQ was a revelation. A return of such epic proportion that it drew me in the first playing. Lines like:

"And I will die with both of my hands untied" and "until you've seen the dawn rise behind the home for the blind" or "and a bullet in his gullet" and "There is something I wanted to tell you
it's so funny you'll kill yourself laughing, but then I, I look around and I remember that I am alone, alone for evermore."

Forget the quiff, he is so much more than a haircut, and given the state of music today style over lyrical content makes me want to puke. Don't take me to the Murs. Please!

Not only one of the great Morrissey albums, one of the great albums of the century so far.

I left behind hating on people because their music isn't my bag a long time ago. Good on Murs I say.

Gotta agree. It takes a lot of nerve to even get onstage even when it's X factor and I can respect that. He's a fan like anyone else and it's nice to see morrissey reaching young people still

Not only one of the great Morrissey albums, one of the great albums of the century so far.

I agree with this.

Thinking about the NME thread the media weren't kind to it though with its better ratings being around three stars and it only scraping into a couple of top 50 albums of the year lists - strangely enough the NME were about the only sorts who did like it. My other favourite album of that year was Interpol's Antics which was just as routinely undervalued.

Good on Olly Murs I say. X factor is the antithesis of Morrissey but Murs comes across okay on The Voice. I mean Tom Jones is a judge so it can't be that bad surely????

I agree with this.

Thinking about the NME thread the media weren't kind to it though with its better ratings being around three stars and it only scraping into a couple of top 50 albums of the year lists - strangely enough the NME were about the only sorts who did like it. My other favourite album of that year was Interpol's Antics which was just as routinely undervalued.

Come Back To Camden is his unheralded masterpiece in my opinion. The lyric, the performance, the music. It’s perfect. “And me and my heart, we knew, we just knew, forever more...”

Still makes me a little emotional just hearing it. I spent a lot of time there in the eighties and nineties, lots of friends and a couple of girlfriends you lose touch with as the years go by, yet I hear that and I’m there on that chair on the pavement.

“Come back to Camden /
and I’ll be good.”

If I could click my fingers now and go back I wouldn’t hesitate.

I agree with this.

I'm gonna listen to Antics on spotify tonight to hear what it's like. Cheers for that.

Spice Girls and Take That sold records too!

No, it's just more lock-jawed pop-stars
Thicker than pig-shit
Nothing to convey
So scared to show intelligence
It might smear their lovely career
Say whatever you want, but we all know you sing along with vigor anytime Wannabe comes on the radio. We all do. Spice up your life.

Come Back To Camden is his unheralded masterpiece in my opinion. The lyric, the performance, the music. It’s perfect. “And me and my heart, we knew, we just knew, forever more...”

Still makes me a little emotional just hearing it. I spent a lot of time there in the eighties and nineties, lots of friends and a couple of girlfriends you lose touch with as the years go by, yet I hear that and I’m there on that chair on the pavement.

“Come back to Camden /
and I’ll be good.”

If I could click my fingers now and go back I wouldn’t hesitate.

It's a shame Camden wasn't played live, perhaps it was but I don't recall hearing it during the quarry era. Lots of happy memories from a slightly down at heel Camden in the nineties. No doubt it's been yuppified now.

It's a shame Camden wasn't played live, perhaps it was but I don't recall hearing it during the quarry era

Only twice IIRC, but not Quarry (2011).

Olly's music does nothing for me, but if he's a fan - good for him. Some 'manufactured' artists have 'outed' themselves as fans with little hatred thereafter:

20180309_180101.jpg

I can't find any Marc Almond pictures at the RAH, although Linda Robson was there:

FB_IMG_1520617525897.jpg

(image: Tina Teaspoon).

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom