Morrissey Central "OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN, RIP." & "LONG LIVE ‘LIVIA" (August 8, 2022)

604e686b_odnd8e.png

Olivia's "Long Live Love" was sampled on Morrissey's 2020 'I Am Not A Dog On A Chain' album.

As per Book Of Condolence thread earlier.
Specifics re: sample used here.
Regards,
FWD.

Second Olivia post added thereafter:

LONG LIVE ‘LIVIA

A 1997 photo-session for Morrissey's upcoming 'Maladjusted' album took place at Olivia Newton-John's home in Los Angeles. Morrissey last saw Olivia on stage three years ago, and sampled parts of the above track for his song 'The Secret of Music' (released in 2020).

Last edited:
What nostalgia value would it possibly hold for him, if he didn’t like it when he was younger? Wouldn’t it just remind him of the goofy stuff he didn’t enjoy?

I don’t know where I implied I was special. I just don’t like Grease is all. I could give you my reasons if you want them, but this is purely a matter of taste. There’s no need to get snippy. I remember you once said I come across as someone who has very little understanding of music on the basis of my not liking Michael Jackson. Jeesh.
Of course it's a corny musical and ultimately more than a little trashy. But it's trashy in the John Waters sense of the word. For years it was banned in many parts of the world that didn't approve of the storyline of a young woman throwing off the shackles of society and finding sexual freedom. Now the woke brigade want to cancel it because, guess what, made in 1978, it isn't all together politically correct.

I would agree that Moz is definitely more high brow when it comes to cinema. But he does like the 'Carry On' movies. They are pretty trashy too.

A 1997 photo-session for Morrissey's upcoming 'Maladjusted' album took place at Olivia Newton-John's home in Los Angeles.
Does anybody know more about these photos?

Interestingly, from a TTY Q&A (2005):

Q:
Could you please name one artist from each of the previous five decades – the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s – who has had a lasting influence on you?

Johnny Donnelly
Edinburgh, Scotland

A:
hello Johnny
...probably not! Certainly nobody from the '80s or '90s has had a "lasting influence" on me. The royal three remain the same: The New York Dolls, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, with Nico standing firm as first reserve. Oh, and Olivia Newton-John.

Having described her song "Sam" as a 'yeuk' back in '85, I'd guess the US move, close proximity to her and animal activism helped shape his later thinking?
FWD.

Interestingly, from a TTY Q&A (2005):

Q:
Could you please name one artist from each of the previous five decades – the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s – who has had a lasting influence on you?

Johnny Donnelly
Edinburgh, Scotland

A:
hello Johnny
...probably not! Certainly nobody from the '80s or '90s has had a "lasting influence" on me. The royal three remain the same: The New York Dolls, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, with Nico standing firm as first reserve. Oh, and Olivia Newton-John.

Having described her song "Sam" as a 'yeuk' back in '85, I'd guess the US move, close proximity to her and animal activism helped shape his later thinking?
FWD.

Or maybe he just didn’t like the song ‘Sam’ in the same way he doesn’t think highly of Sandie’s Puppet on a string.

Looking at that list, I didn’t know Rita Pavone had a song called … ‘Hard’ :lbf:

Or maybe he just didn’t like the song ‘Sam’ in the same way he doesn’t think highly of Sandie’s Puppet on a string.

Looking at that list, I didn’t know Rita Pavone had a song called … ‘Hard’ :lbf:
Without rehashing discussion in the thread, I'd just suggest that people attending Sex Pistols concerts in '76 and highlighting more fringe artists to music magazines probably wouldn't segue naturally in to being in love with artists involved with '78's Grease. I'd have anticipated him to mildly knock popular / mainstream things at the time (which he's done on countless occasions - more so when clogging the charts for 9 bloody weeks in a row!) and was offering an explanation as to why he may have changed his view if this was the case.
Regards,
FWD.

Given the music under the same heading and the further tag of 'general repugnance', I'd doubt it.
Yes, evidence of being a contrarian by being positive about some of them later in life (don't we all do that?), but in the context of MOR chart bilge of late 70's in to the 80's - seems a reasonably honest response - The Flying Pickets says it all really (cue the people who really, really love them now), but at the time nobody in to 'music' in '85 would admit to liking anything on that part of the list.
Regards,
FWD.

Given the music under the same heading and the further tag of 'general repugnance', I'd doubt it.
Yes, evidence of being a contrarian by being positive about some of them later in life (don't we all do that?), but in the context of MOR chart bilge of late 70's in to the 80's - seems a reasonably honest response - The Flying Pickets says it all really (cue the people who really, really love them now), but at the time nobody in to 'music' in '85 would admit to liking anything on that part of the list.
Regards,
FWD.

I understand he might've changed his mind about her. But he was surely being facetious in claiming her as a "lasting influence" from the 1970s over Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, and the Ramones. Unless he meant her 80s material. Does Morrissey seriously rank 80s artists as 1. the Smiths and 2. Olivia Newton-John? What about Chrissie Hynde? No, he had to have been kidding.

Without rehashing discussion in the thread, I'd just suggest that people attending Sex Pistols concerts in '76 and highlighting more fringe artists to music magazines probably wouldn't segue naturally in to being in love with artists involved with '78's Grease. I'd have anticipated him to mildly knock popular / mainstream things at the time (which he's done on countless occasions - more so when clogging the charts for 9 bloody weeks in a row!) and was offering an explanation as to why he may have changed his view if this was the case.
Regards,
FWD.

of course.

Once in a while, you churn out some very well-written posts, but just as often you come across as a black-clad fifteen-year-old who thinks he’s really special. So what if he or anyone else likes “goofy” films? I don’t think M liked it back in the day, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the M of today enjoys it for its nostalgic value if not for its cinematic qualities.
One of Grease’s more endearing and clever qualities is how it features supporting roles from several 1950s stars who play the more seasoned adults in the film, including Edd “Kookie” Burns and Eve Arden, both of whom Morrissey has shown admiration of over the years.

Also, Frankie Valli sings the theme song. So I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think he appreciates the film on some level at all!

@Aubrey McFate , why did you downvote @dotmatrix522 post? She was just stating an opinion and giving her two cents.

I gave it a downvote because I didn't like the opinion. Isn't that what the downvote button is for?

Just because Morrissey likes a certain actor or actress doesn't mean he'd necessarily like their every role in every film, particularly if it's Grease. He could just as easily think they're abasing themselves in such fare. Besides, I don't think either one of them is on the level of a Patric Doonan or Kirk Douglas for him.

I gave it a downvote because I didn't like the opinion. Isn't that what the downvote button is for?

Just because Morrissey likes a certain actor or actress doesn't mean he'd necessarily like their every role in every film, particularly if it's Grease. He could just as easily think they're abasing themselves in such fare. Besides, I don't think either one of them is on the level of a Patric Doonan or Kirk Douglas for him.
That seems rather petty.

I don’t think so either, but like I’ve alluded to before, I wouldn’t be surprised if he has warmed up to Grease as the years have progressed. He’s not the dark and brooding cinephile and bookworm the media once made him out to be. At least he’s not just that.

That seems rather petty.

Should we not use the downvote button, then? It seems the option for wanting to express dislike for someone's opinion but not having the time or the inclination to write out a response. Keeps things streamlined.

I don't deny that Morrissey could possibly like Grease. My original post was just to speculate that I doubt he does—and hope he doesn't. It should go without saying that he doesn't have to conform to my or anyone else's expectations of him. There's a natural tendency for us to want Morrissey to be the ideal Morrissey we imagine him to be. But for all I know, Morrissey could sit down in his favorite chair next to the stereo cabinet tonight with a soy milk White Russian in hand, and put on the headphones for a listening session of the Grease soundtrack, Ill Communication, and Devil Without a Cause.

Should we not use the downvote button, then? It seems the option for wanting to express dislike for someone's opinion but not having the time or the inclination to write out a response. Keeps things streamlined.

I don't deny that Morrissey could possibly like Grease. My original post was just to speculate that I doubt he does—and hope he doesn't. It should go without saying that he doesn't have to conform to my or anyone else's expectations of him. There's a natural tendency for us to want Morrissey to be the ideal Morrissey we imagine him to be. But for all I know, Morrissey could sit down in his favorite chair next to the stereo cabinet tonight with a soy milk White Russian in hand, and put on the headphones for a listening session of the Grease soundtrack, Ill Communication, and Devil Without a Cause.
I don’t know. It seems petty to downvote someone’s completely innocuous post simply because you “don’t like their opinion”.

Sure, I agree. I too have an ideal Moz (sideburns, denim, rockabilly, L.A.), but I don’t sit and hope that he doesn’t like certain films or artists. I might have done when I was 18, I don’t remember.
And not a lot of people would lump the Beastie Boys together with the Grease soundtrack. Also, what is Devil Without a Cause?

I don’t know. It seems petty to downvote someone’s completely innocuous post simply because you “don’t like their opinion”.

Then what's the downvote option for, if not for "I dislike the content of this post"? I don't take downvotes personally.

I too have an ideal Moz (sideburns, denim, rockabilly, L.A.), but I don’t sit and hope that he doesn’t like certain films or artists. I might have done when I was 18, I don’t remember.

I don't sit around dwelling on these things, either. But I might make an off-hand comment about the likelihood of him liking Grease, if it gets mentioned.

And not a lot of people would lump the Beastie Boys together with the Grease soundtrack. Also, what is Devil Without a Cause?

No, Grease and the Beastie Boys are very different choices, but some people like a wide variety. Devil Without a Cause is an album by Kid Rock from the late 90s, featuring what I think is one of his biggest hits, Bawitdaba. The hypothesized listening session consisted of what I considered, on the spur of the moment, to be awful selections.

some opinion posts deserve a downvote but dotmatrix's did not. the spirit of the downvote was wrong for it. clunky and jarring.

I can understand disagreeing with a post and not downvoting it. Some things (most things) you just suffer in silence, and much of life is a series of "whatevs." But if you have a great hatred for Grease, you might get piqued.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom