Morrissey Central "OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN, RIP." & "LONG LIVE ‘LIVIA" (August 8, 2022)

604e686b_odnd8e.png

Olivia's "Long Live Love" was sampled on Morrissey's 2020 'I Am Not A Dog On A Chain' album.

As per Book Of Condolence thread earlier.
Specifics re: sample used here.
Regards,
FWD.

Second Olivia post added thereafter:

LONG LIVE ‘LIVIA

A 1997 photo-session for Morrissey's upcoming 'Maladjusted' album took place at Olivia Newton-John's home in Los Angeles. Morrissey last saw Olivia on stage three years ago, and sampled parts of the above track for his song 'The Secret of Music' (released in 2020).

Last edited:
I wasn't a huge fan of her music but I don't hate it. She was amazing (to me anyway) in Grease and she was always on the radio or TV when I was a kid so she's implanted into the landscape of my memories.

I don't get sad when famous people pass away but sometimes they stir the nostalgia in me and her death has done that. All the things I liked about her are captured and those moments can be revisited as often as I want... and that makes me happy.

Does such a short sample mean that the royalties have to be equally split? Doesn’t seem worth it. Maybe he agreed a one off fee with the publishers.

Grease arrived at the right time for me to emiracce it. And for a minute I thought Morrissey liked this mooie too, but then I read they knew each other which is even better. I never noticed the sample in the secret of music, so I will pay more attention next time I listen to Dog.

I would guess (and hope) that Morrissey is not a big admirer of the movie Grease.

Because it's pretty goofy? I don't know, I just have a hard time seeing a nineteen-year-old Morrissey enjoying Grease, don't you?
Once in a while, you churn out some very well-written posts, but just as often you come across as a black-clad fifteen-year-old who thinks he’s really special. So what if he or anyone else likes “goofy” films? I don’t think M liked it back in the day, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the M of today enjoys it for its nostalgic value if not for its cinematic qualities.

What nostalgia value would it possibly hold for him, if he didn’t like it when he was younger? Wouldn’t it just remind him of the goofy stuff he didn’t enjoy?

I don’t know where I implied I was special. I just don’t like Grease is all. I could give you my reasons if you want them, but this is purely a matter of taste. There’s no need to get snippy. I remember you once said I come across as someone who has very little understanding of music on the basis of my not liking Michael Jackson. Jeesh.

Because it's pretty goofy? I don't know, I just have a hard time seeing a nineteen-year-old Morrissey enjoying Grease, don't you?
I was 12 when the film came out, the best age to enjoy it. Now I find the movie a bit cheesy, but some of the songs still put me in a good mood.
Morrissey has a broad musical taste, and he apparently likes some of Olivia’s songs. And it is fair to say that she had a beautiful voice.

Morrissey has a broad musical taste, and he apparently likes some of Olivia’s songs. And it is fair to say that she had a beautiful voice.

But does he like Grease is the question. I would guess not, but who knows what he likes. He was recently caught at a Zero Authority concert, so at this point all bets are off. The man could be much weirder (and goofier) than anyone might have thought.

What nostalgia value would it possibly hold for him, if he didn’t like it when he was younger? Wouldn’t it just remind him of the goofy stuff he didn’t enjoy?

I don’t know where I implied I was special. I just don’t like Grease is all. I could give you my reasons if you want them, but this is purely a matter of taste. There’s no need to get snippy. I remember you once said I come across as someone who has very little understanding of music on the basis of my not liking Michael Jackson. Jeesh.
Because it might remind him of simpler times.

Oh man, you imply it between the lines constantly. You’re like a teen that has just discovered there’s a counter-culture and now tries their hardest not to like anything that differs from that. And I said what I said because you dismissed James Brown and certain soul music as dance music, or however the hell you phrased it. It was ignorant.

Because it might remind him of simpler times.

Do you typically indulge your nostalgia for simpler times by consuming the culture you didn’t like from when times were simpler?

Oh man, you imply it between the lines constantly. You’re like a teen that has just discovered there’s a counter-culture and now tries their hardest not to like anything that differs from that.

Right, I suppose that’s why I’m posting the Beatles and Bob Dylan in your Greatest Songs thread while you’re posting Clan of Xymox and the Cocteau Twins. Fake C was right: I am so #edgy.

Do you typically indulge your nostalgia for simpler times by consuming the culture you didn’t like from when times were simpler?

Right, I suppose that’s why I’m posting the Beatles and Bob Dylan in your Greatest Songs thread while you’re posting Clan of Xymox and the Cocteau Twins. Fake C was right: I am so #edgy.
Frankly, it happens. Modern day crap culture often sickens me, but the 90s and 2000’s equivalents have at least some degree of redeeming qualities, and nostalgia is one of them.

At least I can admit that I like certain aspects of lowbrow culture, even if it’s not my go-to source for entertainment. I don’t categorically dismiss everything.

Frankly, it happens. Modern day crap culture often sickens me, but the 90s and 2000’s equivalents have at least some degree of redeeming qualities, and nostalgia is one of them.

At least I can admit that I like certain aspects of lowbrow culture, even if it’s not my go-to source for entertainment. I don’t categorically dismiss everything.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve found myself looking back on things that were happening in the early 90’s and only just now enjoying some of it, but at the time criticized and ignored it.

I find it’s good to have a balance. I find I enjoy
my ‘go-to sources’ more if I have things that contrast them, even contradict them.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve found myself looking back on things that were happening in the early 90’s and only just now enjoying some of it, but at the time criticized and ignored it.

I find it’s good to have a balance. I find I enjoy
my ‘go-to sources’ more if I have things that contrast them, even contradict them.
I agree wholeheartedly. 🙌🏻

I don’t categorically dismiss everything.

Neither do I. What is your damage? I made an off-hand, sentence-long comment on this thread about not caring for Grease, and you've somehow blown it into a supposition that I "dismiss everything." Look, I find Grease goofy and not to my liking. Do I have to qualify that mere utterance with a list of "certain aspects of lowbrow culture I like, even if it’s not my go-to source for entertainment" to prove my bona fides to you?

Jeesh. Maybe I should make my signature a gif of Amber Heard in All the Boys Love Mandy Lane.

Neither do I. What is your damage? I made an off-hand, sentence-long comment on this thread about not caring for Grease, and you've somehow blown it into a supposition that I "dismiss everything." Look, I find Grease goofy and not to my liking. Do I have to qualify that mere utterance with a list of "certain aspects of lowbrow culture I like, even if it’s not my go-to source for entertainment" to prove my bona fides to you?

Jeesh. Maybe I should make my signature a gif of Amber Heard in All the Boys Love Mandy Lane.
Hey man, you do you. It’s just that you come off as a bit disingenuous sometimes. Like you’re playing a role. That said, don’t we all?

I hate Grease and I was coerced into watching it.
Years ago a few friends were having a Christmas party and said they were playing all the Grease songs and something else to do with Grease, which mercifully, I have blocked from my memory. I was told if I had not already watched Grease, I had to before the party. Unluckily enough, it was on cable. Sunday afternoon rolls around, and it's time.......I could not stand it. I think I fell asleep or turned the channel, can't remember. Also don't remember what happened at the party but there were people dressed in 50's looking clothes (I think I was supposed to be as well) and to this day, I still have no idea how Grease and Christmas are related.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom