Old Trafford

Tomorrow
maybe we should continue this on PM!

Yes we had a national George Best minute silence (or applause at some grounds) but thats when it happened, I dont even think United held one recently on the first anniversary?

Jukebox Jury

Good point with probably a simple answer.
At Munich it was the players that died, where as Heysel, Bradford and Hillsborough it was the fans.
Since when has anyone ever given a shit about the fans? We are just turnstile fodder.

Jukebox Jury (listening to City on the radio as he types!)
I think that the more likely answer is that tragedies like Munich 1958 are easy to comemorate because there's nothing controversial about them. Whereas, as you and Tomorrow have observed, such tragic events as Heysel or Hillborough can be seen as quite controversial, as they are not just accidents and there are issues of laying blame for what happened, so I suppose some people might feel uncomfortable with bringing them up (which is wrong IMO).

How comes the Munich Air Disaster is the only English related Sports disaster to get any form of recognition? It was a sad occasion for football when the air disaster took place, but I feel Hillsborough, Heysel and the Bradford fire never get any rememberance of the sort that Munich gets. It bugs me a little.
What are you talking about? Munich, Heysel and especially Hillsborough get remembered every year.

Thats the problem with minutes silences, if you give one event a minutes silence people start asking questions when another doesnt get one. The FA should stop telling clubs when to have minutes silences, the club should be able to decide, for example George Bests death. But thats another matter.

How comes the Munich Air Disaster is the only English related Sports disaster to get any form of recognition? It was a sad occasion for football when the air disaster took place, but I feel Hillsborough, Heysel and the Bradford fire never get any rememberance of the sort that Munich gets. It bugs me a little.

Hmmm think you'll find that cheeky scouser Jimmy Tarbuck and friends did some tribute for Hillsborough without renouncing their golf club membership!! It sold a helluva lot more copies than Irish Blood Englsih Heart

Oh And Kelvin Mackenzie's continued assertion that it was the Liverpool fans who were to blame and were robbing dying people. f***ING SCUMBAG. Employed by the BBC. They sack Stan Collymore for dogging but continually taking the piss out of a complete f***ing catastrophe is acceptable???

And indeed the complete injustice and cover-up of South Yorkshire Police. ITS A f***ING DISGRACE and that c*** from his ivory towers can continue to be gainfully employed after continuing the distress of 96 victims' families and friends after every f***ing thing they've been through. Years after the event.

What are you talking about? Munich, Heysel and especially Hillsborough get remembered every year.

Thats the problem with minutes silences, if you give one event a minutes silence people start asking questions when another doesnt get one. The FA should stop telling clubs when to have minutes silences, the club should be able to decide, for example George Bests death. But thats another matter.

Heysel, Hillsborough, Bradford Fires, Burnden Park and Munich disasters are all remembered by the fans and people of the representative clubs or cities, but Munich is given more recognition. For instance Munich gets a slot time on Football Focus (Sir Bobby Charlton is interviewed) and such shows around about the anniversary of the disaster and I commend this as Munich should be remembered by everyone associated with football and not just people associated with Manchester United, but so should Hillsborough, Heysel, Bradford and Burnden Park disaster of 1946 should all be given the same recognition, but it seems this isn’t the case and I feel deeply disappointed by this, whether or not the disasters caused controversy should not be the issue here, the issue is that these disasters could have happened to any set of fans and any club could have been effected. I just feel it’s not right, the only people who really commemorate these other disasters is the family, friends of lost loved ones, club and supporters of the representative clubs and I feel this is wrong, the younger generations of football fans be they Man Utd supporters, Newcastle supporters, Oxford United or Hornchurch supporters should all remember these disasters and observe a minutes silence once a year.

Each disaster highlighted the problems and risks with football, which bought about change to ensure these type of disasters never repeat themselves, so me and you can attend matches and come home safely and for that I don’t think it’s much to remember those fans who left loved ones behind to watch their beloved team only to never return for a minute each year.

Hmmm think you'll find that cheeky scouser Jimmy Tarbuck and friends did some tribute for Hillsborough without renouncing their golf club membership!! It sold a helluva lot more copies than Irish Blood Englsih Heart

Oh And Kelvin Mackenzie's continued assertion that it was the Liverpool fans who were to blame and were robbing dying people. f***ING SCUMBAG. Employed by the BBC. They sack Stan Collymore for dogging but continually taking the piss out of a complete f***ing catastrophe is acceptable???

And indeed the complete injustice and cover-up of South Yorkshire Police. ITS A f***ING DISGRACE and that c*** from his ivory towers can continue to be gainfully employed after continuing the distress of 96 victims' families and friends after every f***ing thing they've been through. Years after the event.

I don‘t want to start talking about the controversy surrounding such disasters, this topic is about Munich and I take full responsibility for taking the topic off track, but I remember Munich each year and I observe a minutes silence and I‘m an Arsenal supporter. I know that if a disaster happened to Arsenal I would want the football association to call all clubs to observe a minutes silence each year. It’s not much to ask of people connected with football and it’s disasters like these which should bring the football community together as one to remember the people who died and appreciating the importance of life and appreciating that football isn’t as important as life.

Back
Top Bottom