Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40 (Dec. 30 - Jan. 5) - features The Smiths (January 3, 2023)

Screenshot_20230103-104644.png

Screenshot_20230103-103719.png

See in context of first 20:
1) Taylor Swift – Midnights
2) Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
3) Harry Styles – Harry’s House
4) Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon
5) Arctic Monkeys – AM
6) The 1975 – Being Funny In A Foreign Language
7) Amy Winehouse – Back To Black
8) Arctic Monkeys – The Car
9) Fleetwood Mac – Greatest Hits
10) Sam Fender – Seventeen Going Under
11) Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
12) Nirvana – Nevermind
13) The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead
14) David Bowie – The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust
15) Oasis – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory
16) The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow
17) Sam Fender – Live From Finsbury Park
18) The Beatles – Abbey Road
19) Louis Tomlinson – Faith In The Future
20) Bob Marley & The Wailers – Legend

See full 40:

Less an article, more an observation.
Looks like they were popular Christmas gifts!?
Although chart movement through sales requires considerably less these days, seeing 2 Smiths records feature in the top 20 albums is never a bad thing.
Regards,
FWD.

Just to add an old article:
TTY, 2016:
The Smiths' The Queen Is Dead is number 15 in this week's official UK vinyl charts.
Hatful of Hollow by the Smiths is number 35.

In addition to The Smiths, really good to see all the other (proper) classic stuff featuring in that listing, especially Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon', which will be 50 years old in March this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see SER's strategy of posting endless cover versions on Central is finally paying off...
If he gets his finger out (I'm not complaining he's lazy, he trapped his hand in a milk carton this morning trying to open it) this time next year we could be lucky enough to see the queen is dead overtaking Nirvana!

If he gets his finger out (I'm not complaining he's lazy, he trapped his hand in a milk carton this morning trying to open it) this time next year we could be lucky enough to see the queen is dead overtaking Nirvana!
And if it doesn't overtake, well then nevermind.

These move depending on what has money off on Amazon and what pops up in the racks at supermarkets. Double-digit sales get you into the lower end of the vinyl album chart. Something that only had 800 copies pressed (and wasn’t a week one sellout) almost went top 20 recently.

The HotUKdeals site has caused various things to chart because someone’s spotted them going cheap on Amazon.

Hatful of Hollow is and will always be PURE GOLD. If people could only own one album by The Smiths, Hatful would be sold out everywhere (so to speak).

Hatful of Hollow is and will always be PURE GOLD. If people could only own one album by The Smiths, Hatful would be sold out everywhere (so to speak).

or LTBombs, M’s favorite it seems, if I’m remembering correctly, believe he once rated it higher than some of the other Smiths lp’s.

And if there could only be one Smiths album
to own, for me, it would be LTB.

or LTBombs, M’s favorite it seems, if I’m remembering correctly, believe he once rated it higher than some of the other Smiths lp’s.

And if there could only be one Smiths album
to own, for me it would be LTB.

Yes. Louder Than Bombs is essentially Hatful of Hollow with a few songs missing (What Difference, TCM, You've got Everything, HSIN), with many more post-1984 singles and B-sides. Louder than Bombs does give you a good mix of younger and older Smiths.

Yes. Louder Than Bombs is essentially Hatful of Hollow with a few songs missing (What Difference, TCM, You've got Everything, HSIN), with many more post-1984 singles and B-sides. Louder than Bombs does give you a good mix of younger and older Smiths.

Usually The World Won’t Listen is compared to LTB, but I’d still take LTB over it, especially if stranded on a desert island. As far as bang for the buck goes, it wins there for me too.

Usually The World Won’t Listen is compared to LTB, but I’d still take LTB over it, especially if stranded on a desert island. As far as bang for the buck goes, it wins there for me too.
I do like The World Won't Listen mostly because of the alternate version of 'Stretch Out and Wait'. World Won't also didn't include any early Smiths tracks.

Agreed .
Then again I think all Smiths lps were Stella

Hatful of Hollow is and will always be PURE GOLD. If people could only own one album by The Smiths, Hatful would be sold out everywhere (so to speak).gr
Agreed but it's a compilation, not a true album so it's unfair to compare to the 4 real albums. Unfair to Compare! Good song title!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom