Official reviews of 'Bobby don't you think...'

A

Anonymous

From music websites and other journalists etc..
This from the NME - a bizarre mixture of insults and praise.
'The new song is a sort of mad gothic electro stomper that features Motown legend Thelma Houston. It sounds strange – and is, obviously – but makes a kind of sense: he and Johnny Marr bonded over their love of 1960s girls groups – the Smiths’ first recorded song was a cover of The Cookies ‘I Just Want A Boy For My Birthday. The new track is heavier than anything of that era, but does exude a camp sense of melodrama. It’s almost six minutes long and covers a lot of ground. ‘Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?’ opens with promisingly enough, with a pounding groove and hysterical organ squeals. It’s like Herman Munster’s formed a band with Rick Wakeman.
Weirdly, for a man justifiably credited as one of the greatest lyricists of all time, Morrissey churns out some absolute nonsense here. “Scag a shack, Mexican mud, little Jo in the snow,” he coos, knowingly. To which the only response can be: eh? Houston sounds in fine fettle, belting out backing vocals with what can only be described as gusto – an “oh yeah!” here, an “uh-huh!” there. But ultimately this only highlights how weird the lyrics are. When she delivers the emotional line “you ain’t fooling nobody!” it’s as if she’s accidentally been handed the script to a hot and heavy daytime soap.
Things pick up again in the final couple of minutes, when the wheels really come off and a fabulously vampy sax solo blows through the track and Houston wails, “Lord, have mercy, Bobby!” You think: what could Bobby possibly have done to deserve this? Moz repeats the bizarr-o “scag a shack” line and Houston sagely nods “huh-huh”, before she insists “you can’t hide it” as the marching piano bounces on. OK then.
It’s all bonkers, to be honest, and certainly exists in a league of its own, but ultimately the take-home is: can Moz just stick to doing other people’s songs now? And ‘California Son’ wasn’t even any good!'
www.nme.com/reviews/morrissey-new-song-bobby-dont-you-think-they-know-review-2595421

And here's another of some blogger or other. Some interesting thoughts...

"Nobody seems to have mastered the art of the comeback single quite like Morrissey. Suedehead and Irish Blood, English Heart both blasted him back from the brink, and now this, his latest offering. It might not feel like he’s ever been gone, especially to those of you across the pond who’ve enjoyed his recent California Son tour. But back in Blighty, there has been much discontent, as he seemed hellbent on self-destruction on account of his poisonous political views. For most of us it was a step too far. I have never listened to his latest covers album, and quite frankly don’t ever want to. It seemed as if he had nothing left to say anymore about any of our lives, and so good riddance.

His latest single landed out of nowhere. On the Morrissey-Solo website last November, Motown diva Thelma Houston announced her involvement in Morrissey’s new album with the release of the new teaser single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? in March 2020. Given Morrissey’s recent hammering on social media, and his apparent lack of new material, my expectations were as low in High School. I remember listening to Spent The Day In Bed for the first time and thinking what the hell is this? But then it grew on me.

This wasn’t the case with Morrissey’s latest single. I loved it immediately, despite trying so hard not to. From the opening rolling piano chords, right the way through to the closing echoing notes of Houston, almost 6 minutes later, the song is a right old tour-de-force. The days of Morrissey bearing any resemblance to The Smiths are long gone, and rightly so. Here is a man who has clearly misread the room politically, but is bang on point musically. Lyrically, it’s not his best, but then at almost 60 years old, what else is there left to say other than to spout political bile or knock out a load of crappy covers? ‘You ain’t fooling nobody!’ sings Houston on his new record, hopefully right in his face.

Produced once again by Joe Chiccarelli, Morrissey’s latest offering released today is slick and rich and full of nods to Chiccarelli’s eclectic musical past. He cut his teeth as a sound engineer in the 1980s working with the likes of Frank Zappa, Hugh Cornwell, Alison Moyet and Ray Manzarek, whose Doors-like keyboard interlude takes you right by surprise. He was even involved with the Bee Gees in the Saturday Night Fever original soundtrack, and throughout ‘Bobby’ you can hear the disco-beat pulse throbbing below the surface, along with some jazz, funk, R&B and the obligatory Motown overtones.

In fact, it’s Thelma Houston who is the real star, so much so that maybe it should be her single, with Morrissey on backing vocal. I hope he’s paying her better royalties than he was to Mike Joyce. It’s not the first time of course that Morrissey has put a single out with a backing singer – Sandie Shaw, Kirsty MacColl, Siouxsie Sioux, Chrissie Hynde to name a few. Houston is certainly in good company (and no, she is not related to Whitney). Her vocal performance packs a real punch and is more than a match for the wily old crooner, whose voice just gets better and better with age.
Don’t forget as well that Thelma Houston won a Motown Grammy in 1977 for her cover version of the Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes classic ‘Don’t Leave Me This Way’, immortalised of course by The Communards. So she knows her way around a recording studio, and even more so a vocal range.

I made a pledge in 2019 that I was kind of done with any new stuff by Morrissey. I wanted to remember Low In High School as his last great works. He made it clear from his Canadian set lists that he too was done with The Smiths. The biggest cheer at any Moz concert is always when he launches into a Smiths track, so to arrogantly deny us of this I found insulting, given the amount of money we’ve all spent putting him on the stage in the first place. I put a tweet out saying pretty much the same thing and was immediately blocked by a number of American fans for saying so. We are all fickle folk, us fans. Me included.

So whatever you might think of Morrissey as a human being, as a recording artist he remains a pop legend. To me, he will always be the lead singer of the band that changed my life as a boy. His songs back then really were a rubber ring, but I do struggle as I get older to recall those giddy feelings. That said, let’s not forget that the man has been in the business for almost 40 years and is as creative and original now as he was back then when he first sat in his room with Johnny Marr writing The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, one of the greatest poems ever sung.

Times change, lives evolve, music moves on. Fair play, I suppose to Morrissey for doing the same (politics aside). According to Chiccarelli, this is his ‘boldest and most adventurous album yet… both musically and lyrically.’ He may well be right: After all, the closing track on the new album is called ‘My Hurling Days are Done’, for heaven’s sake. What more do you want?

‘Ah,’ sings Thelma on the new single, ‘Whenever you sing for us / Ah, the pleasure you bring for us.’ If this is a taste of what’s to come, then the 20th March release of Morrissey’s upcoming album will be eagerly awaited.

https://knownpleasures.home.blog/2020/01/10/morrissey-single-review-bobby-dont-you-think-they-know/

And this from Miss Dodwell:
Morrissey's new single – Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? – landed today, delighting eager fans who have been patiently awaiting the release.
If there's one thing this track shows us, it's that Morrissey is as vibrant, inspired and engaging in 2020 as he ever was. A duet with Grammy award winning singer Thelma Houston, Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? is a glorious burst of sunshine that glows in the often bleak landscape of our current music climate. Despite his many years in the music world, there is nothing stale sounding about Morrissey's music today... if anything, the new single highlights that he still possesses a fresh and raw energy that infuses his music with a sound that is uniquely his own.
Every lyric, every vocal nuance, every twist and turn in musicianship is carefully choreographed to precision - the song is crafted beautifully. What fans are left with here is an (almost) six minute catapult of booming melody and drama. Thelma Houston's vocals are wonderfully electric against the silky smoothness of Morrissey's own delivery, and whether one might expect it or not, the duet between them works, giving the song that extra spark, twist and flavour.
Whatever fans might be hoping for from the new Morrissey album, Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? offers easy reassurance that he is an artist still at the top of his game.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Morrissey's new single – Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? – landed today, delighting eager fans who have been patiently awaiting the release.
If there's one thing this track shows us, it's that Morrissey is as vibrant, inspired and engaging in 2020 as he ever was. A duet with Grammy award winning singer Thelma Houston, Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? is a glorious burst of sunshine that glows in the often bleak landscape of our current music climate. Despite his many years in the music world, there is nothing stale sounding about Morrissey's music today... if anything, the new single highlights that he still possesses a fresh and raw energy that infuses his music with a sound that is uniquely his own.
Every lyric, every vocal nuance, every twist and turn in musicianship is carefully choreographed to precision - the song is crafted beautifully. What fans are left with here is an (almost) six minute catapult of booming melody and drama. Thelma Houston's vocals are wonderfully electric against the silky smoothness of Morrissey's own delivery, and whether one might expect it or not, the duet between them works, giving the song that extra spark, twist and flavour.
Whatever fans might be hoping for from the new Morrissey album, Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? offers easy reassurance that he is an artist still at the top of his game.

‘Whatever fans might be hoping for from the new Morrissey album, Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? offers easy reassurance that he is an artist still at the top of his game.’

:thumb:

Dodwell rocks !

So far, the only review worth reading.

You and Dodwell are cut from the same sycophantic cloth, the only difference is that you aren't on the payroll. Absolutely pathetic.

Very well written not like the NME drunk rantings.

Nice one here from Louder than War.
"Morrissey has not made it easy to love him for a several years with several uncomfortable interviews and opinions. His recent covers album was hard work but this new single is a thing of wonder.
‘Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?’ is an almost six minutes long glowing piece of classic sixties pop full of bombast and glowering glam beauty and is from his upcoming, ‘I Am Not A Dog On Chain’ album. Ultimately the debate will be about everything else as it usually is with the singer but leaving all that conversation aside just listen to this."
https://louderthanwar.com/listen-mo...troversial-singer-returns-with-epic-new-song/

"Morrissey has not made it easy to love him for a several years with several uncomfortable interviews and opinions. His recent covers album was hard work but this new single is a thing of wonder.
‘Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?’ is an almost six minutes long glowing piece of classic sixties pop full of bombast and glowering glam beauty and is from his upcoming, ‘I Am Not A Dog On Chain’ album. Ultimately the debate will be about everything else as it usually is with the singer but leaving all that conversation aside just listen to this."
https://louderthanwar.com/listen-mo...troversial-singer-returns-with-epic-new-song/

Man! We knew the track was great (unlike the f***ing cover. which is shit. Please see poll :) ) but I'm glad that some pen wielder agrees with us.

Another good one - this time from https://themildmanneredarmy.com/2020/01/11/bobby-dont-you-think-they-know-morrissey/
“Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?” is, quite possibly, the best song of the late period of his career which runs from 2014’s “World Peace is None of Your Business” (a lost classic to my ears) then through the slightly lumpen and heavy handed “Low in High School” and up to last years covers project “California Son” which, despite his impressive vocals, was a bit of damp squib.

The lyric is a tale of woe…of some sort…but it is a mystery as to who Bobby is or what it is that “they” should know. As his diaries have been emptied the moments of lyrical genius that defined The Smiths and much of his early solo work have been fewer and further between. That may be inaccurate, it may simply be that the style and content has become less personal and so the form of the genius moments has changed. He is certainly still capable of wonderful lines, moments of laugh out loud humour and emotional devastation.

What makes “Bobby…” soar is the wall of sound that envelops everything. Horns, strings, keyboards, drums, bass, guitar…all sweeping around, over and under one of the best vocals of his career. It sounds like Phil Spector if he had been born in Burnage…harder, more strident but still an incredible wall of noise. But the thing that really lifts this above the status of just another Morrissey song…songs that are, increasingly, assessed only in direct contact with his, well, “views” and not on their quality or otherwise…is the presence of Houston. At times the vocals are a sort of Gospel call and response, while it would be easy to define what she has contributed as backing vocals the truth is that this is a duet. If you remove Houston the whole thing falls apart, her “Lord have mercy Bobby” brought tears to my eyes and caused my pulse to quicken. This is the sort of duet that defined the pinnacle of Tom Jones career when he would perform medleys with everyone from Stevie Wonder to Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young…a young man from a working class community standing toe to toe with the best America had to offer and matching them every step, or note, of the way.

This then is the finest moment in many years from Morrissey and it bodes well for his forthcoming album “”I Am Not a Dog on a Chain”. Let’s hope, this time, that the music is all we have to talk about.

Can not think of another song quite like Bobby. Absolutely stunning.

The NME became irrelevant longer ago than I care to remember.

Yep, I'm sure I posted this elsewhere on this site.

I can't stand some fan reviews here. I praise the days when "Quija Board" was called a weak single. Bobby is not a highlight in his career. People who say that, have never really dealt with all of Morrissey's solo material or simply want it to be good. The weird lyrics and his sloganeering have become a trademark of his own. Musically it doesn't speak to me at all. Not my cup of tea but "Free speech for all". Surely.

On a day like (nearly) today in January 1995, 25 years ago, Morrissey released "Boxers" which became a huge hit "nowhere". Just in case some youngster/vegan from California asks "What is a relevant Morrissey 7" and where can I find it".

That's a melody, those were musicians and that was a production tailormade for his master's voice.

Wow, f*** yes. 25 years ago almost to the day. One of his very best singles I would say. Loved it.
Such a shame he abandoned that style almost completely half a year later on SG. Not a bad album, mind, but would have loved him done another album like V&I, with Boxers, Sunny, Swallow and who knows what else.

Wow, f*** yes. 25 years ago almost to the day. One of his very best singles I would say. Loved it.
Such a shame he abandoned that style almost completely half a year later on SG. Not a bad album, mind, but would have loved him done another album like V&I, with Boxers, Sunny, Swallow and who knows what else.
Just combine the non-album singles from the era. Something like this:
MORRISSEY_BOXERS-41517.jpg

Morrissey - Boxers (1995)
Side 1:
I'd Love To
Boxers
Have-A-Go Merchant
Whatever Happens, I Love You
Nobody Loves Us

Side 2:
Sunny
Black-Eyed Susan
A Swallow on My Neck
Moon River (Extended)

On a day like (nearly) today in January 1995, 25 years ago, Morrissey released "Boxers" which became a huge hit "nowhere". Just in case some youngster/vegan from California asks "What is a relevant Morrissey 7" and where can I find it".

That's a melody, those were musicians and that was a production tailormade for his master's voice.

Boxers is a great song. Morrissey will always defy classification. Thats what makes him special.

Side 1:
I'd Love To
Boxers
Have-A-Go Merchant
Nobody Loves Us

Side 2:
Sunny
Black-Eyed Susan
A Swallow on My Neck
Moon River (Extended)

Great idea! Never thought about that opportunity. I would like to ad "You should have been nice to me" which was one of the Miraval songs recorded late in 1994, that harks back to the Vauxhall sound. "Boxers", the lost album!

Nice!
Replace Moon River with Lost, and you’ve got yourself a potential classic!

Side 1:
I'd Love To
Boxers
Have-A-Go Merchant
Nobody Loves Us

Side 2:
Sunny
Black-Eyed Susan