Official Charts: Rebels Without Applause enters download / singles sales chart at #73 & #87 (December 2, 2022)

Screenshot_20221203-150336~2.png

Screenshot_20221203-150048~2.png

'Skyrocketing'
Anyone have the Polish chart yet!?
There was no entry for it on the above sites midweek.
FWD.

Then again Moz is selling out shows coast to coast in the US.
I think he is doing really well this far on in his career compared to most of his peers.

Out of interest who do you class as his peers?
We’ve been here countless times before.
Echo and the Bunnymen, Jesus and Mary Chain or The The or Nick Cave or indeed James or Suede.
Anyone who started in the 1980s or 90s with a strong cult following.

We’ve been here countless times before.
Echo and the Bunnymen, Jesus and Mary Chain or The The or Nick Cave or indeed James or Suede.
Anyone who started in the 1980s or 90s with a strong cult following.

Well James seem to be doing very well, you don’t mention New Order who are more popular than ever but compared to the others you mention he seems to be doing ok but there again it depends on what you mean by doing well, for example Echo and the Bunnymen just seem to enjoy playing sell out tours and releasing albums now and again without any drama.

Yes, but very little to no chart success, while Moz is still, like New Order, releasing top-5 albums in the UK and sell out tours and festival-headlining and millions of Spotify-streams for his newest records. Hard to say for most of the others.

It's all so frustrating, the shows in the UK were a real return to form but in smaller venues (better from a fan perspective) everything else surrounding him seems to be a complete shit show. James only this week announced a 2nd night at Halifax Piece Hall which is a 7500 capacity venue and as much as I like James, Morrissey at this point in his career should be playing venues like that and selling out multiple nights. I wish he would get a f***ing grip on what's going on around him. Rant over!

I hear ya. He’ll plow through regardless. But he’s in a position that other artists are not in, as far as the perception some have of him currently. One could of course always wish for better, and all things do pass, but the reality at the moment is to either accept the situation, and benefit from the pleasures that you still find from what he offers or simply say ‘no’ and look elsewhere, or go and ‘bake a cake’, as he would say. Seems like the sane thing to do these days as a fan of such a unique artist like Morrissey.

Lol …… 👇

Last edited:
Yes, but very little to no chart success, while Moz is still, like New Order, releasing top-5 albums in the UK and sell out tours and festival-headlining and millions of Spotify-streams for his newest records. Hard to say for most of the others.

James are still releasing top 5 albums and still selling out arenas in the UK. However as I said, some bands like the Bunnymen are just happy to sell out 2 to 3k capacity venues regularly and put a smile on their faces and a smile on their fans faces.

The Bunnymen played to 4560 people over 2 nights at Manchester Albert Hall this year so I doubt they give a shit about chart success, however I'm sure Moz will be pleased with his latest smash hit and £750 quid in royalties.

I hear ya. He’ll plow through regardless. But he’s in a position that other artists are not in, as far as the perception some have of him currently. One could of course always wish for better, and all things do pass, but the reality at the moment is to either accept the situation, and benefit from the pleasures that you still find from what he offers or simply say ‘no’ and look elsewhere, or go and ‘bake a cake’, as he would say. Seems like the sane thing to do these days as a fan of such a unique artist like Morrissey.

Why do you think he's unique?

James are still releasing top 5 albums and still selling out arenas in the UK. However as I said, some bands like the Bunnymen are just happy to sell out 2 to 3k capacity venues regularly and put a smile on their faces and a smile on their fans faces.

The Bunnymen played to 4560 people over 2 nights at Manchester Albert Hall this year so I doubt they give a shit about chart success, however I'm sure Moz will be pleased with his latest smash hit and £750 quid in royalties.
What makes you think so?
Morrissey is happy to play sell out shows in the UK and US all year and has said so on numerous occasions. He is doing really well and releasing exciting new music too. We all should be happy about that. As we should be with the Bunnymens trajectory as well. I’m a huge fan anyway.

There’s no doubt whatsoever that New Order and Nick Cave are more popular than Morrissey. Look at the size of the venues they are playing in at both ides of the Atlantic. Not that it matters to me. I prefer seeing bands in mid-sized venues.

The promo is non existent; maybe Capitol are aiming for a release by stealth of Bonfire. Morrissey’s popularity isn’t as healthy as it was a decade ago. Nevertheless, some sort of promotional push would have likely generated better placings. We’ve had the debates about the new single and I still think it’s got the greatest popular appeal of anything Morrissey has released in a long while. The music is worth more praise - but you have to cultivate the situation by which it can be received by a receptive mass audience.

At times, we haven’t just seen a lack of promotion - there’s been anti-promotion. With another album in the pipeline - likely to be heralded as the best yet (again) - there is much that can be done to improve the cycle of these album rollouts. The delay of Bonfire has dulled anticipation as much as it has raised it. I fear expectations around the album have been artificially raised as a result. It still remains my most anticipated record of next year; my recollections of its torturous journey to release, though, will be ambivalent at best. Has the patience of fans been tested in novel ways this time round?

My hopes for Bonfire are only eclipsed by my hope that Team Morrissey can stabilise this new career phase. After some strong live showings, this should really be a minor renaissance, not a redoubling of the worst habits that have soured proceedings of late.

at the Newark show i went to, to introduce RWA he quipped "this is a song from our last album, er, our lost album"

hopefully he/we will have an indication as to its release soon...

Of his last 15 singles this is his best performing one.
Compared to artists like Morrissey (take Suede or Nick Cave) this is outperforming any of them from the last 10 years.

And again without any airplay of promotion.
The fanbase is strong, as is the song.

Also doing really well on Spotify to take it broader than just the UK.
I doubt very much if the song out performed suede and nick caves songs . Even if it did in sales it hasn't in art . It did get promo. It was mentioned on here ,it was mentioned on m central. It was posted by fans on social media and I think it was mentioned on a few music sites. That's a form of promotion
A number of bands seem to just drop songs with no press these days

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom