Offensive??

lotte

Am I the only one here who finds 'November Spawned a Monster' just a little offensive?!

Has Morrissey ever commented on this song?

Am I the only one here who finds 'November Spawned a Monster' just a little offensive?!

Has Morrissey ever commented on this song?

I know that songs are definately open to interpretation,however I know how this song could be seem offensive to some people. The negative use of words such as 'hostage', 'ugly', 'twisted' suggest that the narrator does not give much value to the life of the subject.

This does not necessarily mean these are Morrissey's views as he often sings 'in character' he may just be giving us 'food for thought'

It's not singing in character. He's throwing demeaning terms like "ugly", "monster", "twisted child" etc, back in the faces of those who have used them, or think them without actually speaking them out loud. But it's also an attack on people who are good-natured and want to help the child ("people discussing me"). It's a provocative, almost belligerent protest against sentimentality.

It's not singing in character. He's throwing demeaning terms like "ugly", "monster", "twisted child" etc, back in the faces of those who have used them, or think them without actually speaking them out loud. But it's also an attack on people who are good-natured and want to help the child ("people discussing me"). It's a provocative, almost belligerent protest against sentimentality.

Yes I agree

So would you have a lover who was horribly deformed?

Unless you can honestly answer Yes then you are being hypocritical.

Some people are ugly and their outward appearance will limit the life they can lead. The difference is in this song Morrissey doesn't lie about it. He just accepts it and tries to empathise with it.

So would you have a lover who was horribly deformed?

Unless you can honestly answer Yes then you are being hypocritical.

Some people are ugly and their outward appearance will limit the life they can lead. The difference is in this song Morrissey doesn't lie about it. He just accepts it and tries to empathise with it.

I don't know if you were asking me but I would like to state categorically that I am not a hypocrite. My husband was born with severe congenital abnormalities and did have to use a wheelchair at times. When we were having our children we opted to decline extra antenatal screening as any findings would not have affected our decision to continue with the pregnancy. Our family know what quality of life is, and I know there are different conditions/syndromes etc where quality of life may be compromised, but who are we to be the judge of what 'quality of life' is anyway?

I can't believe this "discussion" is taking place after all these years.....it still seems that some people just don't get it.

Last edited:
Who else but Morrissey could write such a genius song?Its not in the least bit offensive.Should he sing about pretty things?He`s not expressing personal views against people with cerebal palsy or the like the same as in TLOTFIP he`s not telling us he loves the Krays.Its a brilliant song because you are drawn to it despite the lyrics.Its catchy you can dance to it and the lyrics are brilliant.My neighbour was listening to "you raise me up...."or something like that by West Life earlier.Utterly dire cover versions churned out and I was actually playing November and I did congratulate myself rather smugly on my infinately superior taste.:D

I don't think it is offensive, at least not to me, but I can easily see how someone who isn't used to songwriters who 'speak the truth' or spends their time listening to Boyzone might be uncomfortable with it, especially if they're disabled. However, that just means that they have to learn that TALKING about issues IS NOT A BAD THING!

I don't think it is offensive, at least not to me, but I can easily see how someone who isn't used to songwriters who 'speak the truth' or spends their time listening to Boyzone might be uncomfortable with it, especially if they're disabled. However, that just means that they have to learn that TALKING about issues IS NOT A BAD THING!

I agree. If we take a lot of Moz's songs at face value, a whole load could be claimed to be offensive, I'm thinking National Front Disco, Mute Witness etc. Mozzer is simply tackling 'difficult' issues that other 'stars' are scared to tackle. I for one applaud him for it.

I don't find it offensive. I guess I can understand why someone would be offended by it, though.

That just goes to show, you can't please everyone.

I've noticed there are quite a few Morrissey fans who like the world all fluffy and pink. They are the sort who go mad over kittens. I wonder how they actually get anything out of Morrissey's lyrics at all seeing as he's never been one to avoid the nastier aspects of life. They tend to be the ones who post on here in shock whenever he says anything remotely sarcastic at gigs as if it's totally out of character. How could lovely sweet Steven say such nasty things.

Just goes to show how we all create our own Morrissey to suit ourselves.

I've noticed there are quite a few Morrissey fans who like the world all fluffy and pink. They are the sort who go mad over kittens. I wonder how they actually get anything out of Morrissey's lyrics at all seeing as he's never been one to avoid the nastier aspects of life. They tend to be the ones who post on here in shock whenever he says anything remotely sarcastic at gigs as if it's totally out of character. How could lovely sweet Steven say such nasty things.

Just goes to show how we all create our own Morrissey to suit ourselves.
very very true

Morrissey is a class act in a class entirely of his own.He sings real songs that express real lives.Shoplifters is an example -its sooo true and Girlfriend in a Coma is so tongue in cheek.My brother finds it hilarious which it IS-thats why I can never understand why he`s the "Pope of Mope".He was called a "morose warbler" AGAIN in the Express this week.I hope his new album is as full of contradictions as ever.I have Forgiven Jesus is a good example...here he is beautiful song,beautiful lyrics and then you get to the "just to moon yer" bit-hilarious but beautifully so......sorry I am waffling and trying to preach to the converted:o

err i think that the song is, partly, about people finding the disabled Offemsive, so maybe he wrote it for you?

Back
Top Bottom