Offensive??

Thanks for linking to that thread, HIM, sadly I missed it. :D

yes, you missed a real beauty, there, chica.

Now I understand that SurferGirl is pro-life, but she came up with a kickass pro-choice argument there, don't you think? :p

certainly sounds kickass to me

I dont find it offensive at all,
in fact i think it is uplifting especially as it ends with....

Oh, one fine day
Let it be soon
She won't be rich or beautiful
But she'll be walking your streets
In the clothes that she went out
And chose for herself

I dont find it offensive at all,
in fact i think it is uplifting especially as it ends with....

Oh, one fine day
Let it be soon
She won't be rich or beautiful
But she'll be walking your streets
In the clothes that she went out
And chose for herself

and that, i think, is the point.

Seeing a wheelchair as a confinement (negative) rather than a tool (positive) could upset people, and fair enough. I remember being surprised, though, the first time I saw this mentioned in Spin magazine in the early 90's. Unfortunately when I see someone in a wheelchair I feel sorry for them and a little guilty about being able to run and walk. :o

At Amber figures in here somewhere if you're interested.

Morrissey is not politically correct. I think that's the issue some people are facing.

Last edited by a moderator:
in general, dave, i enjoy reading what you post, here. however...

Seeing a wheelchair as a confinement (negative) rather than a tool (positive) could upset people, and fair enough.

conceiving the use of a wheelchair as a confinement is, of course, the common view, but it does - and should - upset people.

Unfortunately when I see someone in a wheelchair I feel sorry for them and a little guilty about being able to run and walk. :o

well, at least, that is candid and, at least, unintentionally patronising and self-serving. take it a step further and try feeling guilty about your feelings of guilt.

Morrissey is not politically correct. I think that's the issue some people are facing.

at the risk of praising mr. m. (despite that fkn hairdo), if "november spawned a monster" reflects his perspective on disablement, generally, then, i'd suggest that his views are significantly more progressive (for want of a less poncey word) than those of most people. worm's assessment (http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=522722&postcount=6) pretty much hits the nail on the head, i think.

Last edited:
in general, dave, i enjoy reading what you post, here. however...

conceiving the use of a wheelchair as a confinement is, of course, the common view, but it does - and should - upset people and it isn't "fair enough".

I'm saying that if people are upset by this song that is their right. I'm not sure if we are having a misunderstanding, because I'm not completely clear on what you wrote. "hostage to kindness and the wheels underneath" is where I'm getting my take on the attitude of the song. So that seems to reflect the "common view". I'm not sure what you think I meant.

well, at least, that is candid and, at least, unintentionally patronising and self-serving. take it a step further and try feeling guilty about your feelings of guilt.

All I'm saying here is that yes, I see someone in a wheelchair and my first thought is not "Oh good, they have a wheelchair and are able to remain mobile and at least semi, if not completely independent." Instead I think that they probably wish they could get up and walk. And I know being in a wheelchair does not make you dependent necessarily, so I think your problem is with the song, not me. I think I'm pretty candid and admit my faults. I don't see how this is self-serving. Self-serving would be if I lied and tried to say I was perfectly correct.

at the risk of praising mr. m. (despite that fkn hairdo), if "november spawned a monster" reflects his perspective on disablement, generally, then, i'd suggest that his views are significantly more progressive (for want of a less poncey word) than those of most people. worm's assessment (http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=522722&postcount=6) pretty much hits the nail on the head, i think.

Worm may be right or may not. I know that's a shocker. (Hi Worm! :D ) But what about At Amber?

I'm calling you from the foyer
Of this awful hotel
Where the slime and the grime
Gel

And I cannot - or, I do not
And oh, my room is cold
And I'm envying you never having to choose

And you, my invalid friend
You slam the receiver when you say
"If I had your limbs for a day
I would steam away"

Is this also in character and a refutation of the common attitudes towards those who are other-abled?

About November's "happy ending" why can't the girl choose her own clothes now? Because she can't walk she can't buy her own clothes?

Look, I didn't attack the song. It isn't my favorite, but I like to hear it, more for the sound of it than the lyrics really. But honestly those that dislike the song have a point. that's all I meant to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the "happy ending"> I think he wanted to say that she will choose something herself, instead of being a subject to her disability. As he sometimes changes the word "choose" to "steal", it strongly underlines making a decision about oneself, "stealing" - more aggressive and also against the common sense of order. That sense incorporates also the treating of the disabled.

One way or another, the song expresses perhaps his own discomfort while facing such people.
When you are eager to stay correct, it takes guts to acknowledge that you'd rather not think about it at all.

About the "happy ending"> I think he wanted to say that she will choose something herself, instead of being a subject to her disability. As he sometimes changes the word "choose" to "steal", it strongly underlines making a decision about oneself, "stealing" - more aggressive and also against the common sense of order. That sense incorporates also the treating of the disabled.

One way or another, the song expresses perhaps his own discomfort while facing such people.
When you are eager to stay correct, it takes guts to acknowledge that you'd rather not think about it at all.

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking, too.

The narrator has turned again to the pitiers and the lookers-away and shown them the prospect of the 'twisted child' no longer tucked safely below eye level in the confines of a wheelchair. She is, albeit only in the form of the narrator's medically uninformed aspirations, staking her claim on 'your streets' as a valid facet of the human form and one day society - the narrator included - will have to face her.

Hell of a lyric.

I'm saying that if people are upset by this song that is their right.

i agree that it's their right to be upset. of course it is. equally, though, it is the right of anybody else to question and challenge them on their reasons for being upset.

I'm not sure if we are having a misunderstanding, because I'm not completely clear on what you wrote. "hostage to kindness and the wheels underneath" is where I'm getting my take on the attitude of the song. So that seems to reflect the "common view". I'm not sure what you think I meant.

on first reading of your post, i picked you up wrong [i think (!)]. initially, i thought you were saying that some people's conception of a wheelchair "as a confinement rather than a tool" was "fair enough". apologies for not reading (and thinking!), properly, before responding. i went back and edited my first para., accordingly, when i noticed.

All I'm saying here is that yes, I see someone in a wheelchair and my first thought is not "Oh good, they have a wheelchair and are able to remain mobile and at least semi, if not completely independent." Instead I think that they probably wish they could get up and walk. And I know being in a wheelchair does not make you dependent necessarily, so I think your problem is with the song, not me. I think I'm pretty candid and admit my faults. I don't see how this is self-serving. Self-serving would be if I lied and tried to say I was perfectly correct.

i described your feelings toward disabled people as being "unintentionally patronising and self-serving". they are patronising because they imply, firstly, the superiority of "the able-bodied" over those who experience disablement and, secondly, because they presume that disabled people are envious and resentful of "the able-bodied". [note, here, jones asking, with incredulity - at page 2 of this thread (http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=523253&postcount=22) - whether people who are disabled think of themselves as "wonderful" or "beautiful". the point he was trying to make (but didn't have the balls to articulate) was that it was obvious (to him) that being wonderful and looking beautiful were characteristics that are restricted to "the able-bodied" and are inevitably denied to cripples and cabbages.] your view of disabled people privileges a particular (and, unfortunately, very pervasive) view of what it means to be a "normal" human being and renders people who exprerience disablement as Other, as alien, as not belonging. your views are self-serving because, as people feel "guilt", pity and sympathy for those whom they deem "less fortunate than ourselves", it enables them to feel secure in their own precarious sense of normality and belonging; it allows them to feel closer to biophysical perfection. it maintains a definite (although, arguably false) dividing-line between those who are on the inside and the poor unfortunates who are not.

i'm not personalising these points, dave, so i apologise if it seems that way. i said your views were unintentionally patronising and self-serving and that is because those views dominate society and are the received wisdom, on disability.

Worm may be right or may not. I know that's a shocker. (Hi Worm! :D )

it doesn't shock me that worm may be wrong - although s/he rarely seems to be.

But what about At Amber?

well, that's a different song from the one under discussion and i'm not really interested in trying to defend mr. morrissey's overall views or trying to otherwise deify him. sometimes he is, indisputably, a cock. plus, his hairdo is a shocker. i do, though, think that "november..." is intended as a satirical swipe at people who devalue those who don't conform to the biophysical norm, but i'll happily acknowledge that mr. m. can be infuriatingly inconsistent, at times.

About November's "happy ending" why can't the girl choose her own clothes now? Because she can't walk she can't buy her own clothes?

at a guess, i'd say because she is smothered and handicapped by the gratuitous "care" foisted upon her by others and because the general pattern of commercial transactions is not constructed with disabled people in mind. perhaps, one day, the character in the song will live in a society which does not exclude her.

Look, I didn't attack the song.

attack it as much as you want. morrissey is a cock with inexcusable hair.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom