Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

also when asked how he got the love bites he had on the cover of some magazine or other nicky said that he and richey had gone out with the plan of finding someone to do just that (ironically admitting that richey hadnt managed to pick anyone up), and when he told this story he sheepishly prefaced it with "this is before i was married"!!!!!

ive never in my life heard anyone in the modern enlightened world use that word, and yet here you come and it's wee this wee that, ad nauseum
She is Scottish, you know.

which is why i will allow the term 'wee' on occasion, but it's no excuse for using it every post!!!
Her ‘wees’ are nothing compared to Dirks excessive and endlessly annoying ‘fecks’, though, in my opinion.

i wish i didnt read carlisle baz's! he keeps them short though so i cant help myself.
I’m the opposite with Dirk. They’re so long I can’t help myself. Speaking of masochism, I guess this is me masochistic.

nicky wire has way more depth of character than you're giving him credit for. he wasnt always rich and successful (although because of his attitude toward life and his uncanny ability to make being beautiful and succesful and fabulous seem like the easiest thing in the world, perhaps he was always fated to be), he came from a poor background and lived through the devastating miners strike. there's a clip in a documentary where he's talking about the miners strike and he says "we were defeated" and the way he says it you know he has the nobility of spirit to understand the poetic humility and beauty of admitting defeat when you know you've put up a good fight. it seems like something i shouldnt need to tell someone of your mature years, but everyone has miserable moments in their life, even if they're rich and successful. i would say that his best friend going missing, haivng probably committed suicide, was probably a pretty low time in his life, but he came out of it with the conviction that he was committed to life no matter what, and thats what those lyrics are: an avowal of commitment to life. unlike richey, who was on the road to riches and success just like the rest of them, and yet was still able to be miserable despite that.

I realize everyone has bad spots in life, even the rich and successful. Losing a friend is painful, no matter much good fortune you have. And it's natural to say you're still committed to life, even though you miss your friend. I'm probably "Sperging out" on Nicky Wire's lyric and taking it too literally, but to say you're committed to life no matter how miserable it gets seems illogical. I'm thinking that life has the potential to get extremely miserable, and that any commitment to life should (logically) be provisional. You have to be able to say "feck this, I'm outta here" at some point when a commitment to living would only mean more suffering.

People who categorically deny that option to themselves, whether for religious or poetic reasons, seem odd to me. For the ancient Romans and the imperial Japanese, suicide was considered a noble response to life and its various miseries. Suicide has poetry to it just as living does. I don't know enough about Nicky Wire to speculate on his depth of character. I'll just say I'm more on Morrissey's wavelength: "if you're gonna live, then live, don't talk about it | If you're gonna kill yourself, then for God's sake, just kill yourself."

loving life more in honour of someone who died isnt about getting more pleasure out of it. it's about doing things with more love, with more sincerity, with more conviction, with more meaning, with more awareness of the sanctity of life, which is what we should all be doing anyway, but sometimes it takes an absence to remind us of that. i honestly have to wonder if you're taking the piss. you CANNOT be that simple!!!!!

I think I really am that simple. Because Amis was speaking in one of two ways. He was either loving life more in the abstract, or he was loving life more in the moment. The abstract seems wrong. He wouldn't think to himself, "I used to give life a 9, but now I'll give it a 9.5." Surely not with his friend gone. Life minus your friend cannot be better than life with your friend, all other things being equal. So he must've been loving life in the moment: "putting more into it and getting more out of it," so to speak. Which is a luxury the Martin Amises of the world have and others don't. That's why it seems like goo-goo to me. We are definitely on opposite poles of this one.

I realize everyone has bad spots in life, even the rich and successful. Losing a friend is painful, no matter much good fortune you have. And it's natural to say you're still committed to life, even though you miss your friend. I'm probably "Sperging out" on Nicky Wire's lyric and taking it too literally, but to say you're committed to life no matter how miserable it gets seems illogical. I'm thinking that life has the potential to get extremely miserable, and that any commitment to life should (logically) be provisional. You have to be able to say "feck this, I'm outta here" at some point when a commitment to living would only mean more suffering.

People who categorically deny that option to themselves, whether for religious or poetic reasons, seem odd to me. For the ancient Romans and the imperial Japanese, suicide was considered a noble response to life and its various miseries. Suicide has poetry to it just as living does. I don't know enough about Nicky Wire to speculate on his depth of character. I'll just say I'm more on Morrissey's wavelength: "if you're gonna live, then live, don't talk about it | If you're gonna kill yourself, then for God's sake, just kill yourself."

I think I really am that simple. Because Amis was speaking in one of two ways. He was either loving life more in the abstract, or he was loving life more in the moment. The abstract seems wrong. He wouldn't think to himself, "I used to give life a 9, but now I'll give it a 9.5." Surely not with his friend gone. Life minus your friend cannot be better than life with your friend, all other things being equal. So he must've been loving life in the moment: "putting more into it and getting more out of it," so to speak. Which is a luxury the Martin Amises of the world have and others don't. That's why it seems like goo-goo to me. We are definitely on opposite poles of this one.
this conversation was so dispiriting (even more dispiriting than baz spelling 'bowels' as 'bowls') that i just couldnt face this forum for four days. i still dont have the emotional energy to respond to this, since you dont seem to be willing to understand.

this conversation was so dispiriting (even more dispiriting than baz spelling 'bowels' as 'bowls') that i just couldnt face this forum for four days. i still dont have the emotional energy to respond to this, since you dont seem to be willing to understand.

Oh dear. I don't want to be the cause of you getting dispirited enough to ditch the forum. I missed your posts. I thought maybe you had gone to Wales to walk down Nicky Wire's street, or to Carlisle to have a Coors with "a gay man from Cumbria" who can't spell. We can definitely drop it. I am just an incurable negativist.

Almost as obsessed as Skinny

Yes i found out just last week that Daniel Day Lewis is heading toward 70 and my brain almost fell out of my head!

I didn't know this until just now, but the son of Daniel Day-Lewis and Isabelle Adjani had a brief side career when he was in college. He was a rapper (as of ten years ago, that is). "Gabe Day," he called himself. The summary of Green Auras is pretty funny. One of the many dangers of having kids: they can grow up to really embarrass you. The video appears to have been scrubbed from YouTube. It's only viewable with commentary from a pair of bro-vloggers. Those kinds of giggling dad/bro voices are nails on a chalkboard to me, but the comment with the most likes is a good one: "Daniel Day Lewis' greatest acting role is pretending to be proud of his son."

scanty are you a midget expert or a high waisted jeans expert,intriguing stuff.
Well as it happens gordy, I’m a an internationally renowned and most eminent midget expert par excellence with a specialization in fashion which essentially translates into the fact that whether i want to or not, i know how to spot a midget at 500 paces or less whether they’re trying to pull a fast one IN high waisted jeans…. or OUT of them! Ohh, mon dieu! :eek:

Well as it happens gordy, I’m a an internationally renowned and most eminent midget expert par excellence with a specialization in fashion which essentially translates into the fact that whether i want to or not, i know how to spot a midget at 500 paces or less whether they’re trying to pull a fast one IN high waisted jeans…. or OUT of them! Ohh, mon dieu! :eek:
a midget asks the librarian do you have any books on midget discrimination.
librarian replies,,,,top shelf,,,,,

Would this unusual top, a wearable magazine, go with the high waisted jeans?!

1685739644662.png

They've been allowed to be homosexual as long as their benign with it.
(Caroline Sullivan, the Guardian, 17 December 1993)

The typo is the Guardian's.

What do you think about Phillip Schofield so? On the face of it, I find his public hounding and shaming for a personal relationship unbelievably regressive, unless it fits into the acceptable sacrificial victim/folk devil category you refer to?

Would this unusual top, a wearable magazine, go with the high waisted jeans?!

View attachment 91553

What do you think about Phillip Schofield so? On the face of it, I find his public hounding and shaming for a personal relationship unbelievably regressive, unless it fits into the acceptable sacrificial victim/folk devil category you refer to?

I feel guilty! I got some gossip from a good source & it sounded like it was all about to be made public so I yakked about it, like I do - then it wasn't - but it was on God Awful YouTube videos.

There's elements of moral panic - but I think it's being overshadowed by Daytime Feuding & the looming Kiss & Tell. If it was just an unwise workplace fling with a 20 year old, then it is pretty grim.

Back
Top Bottom