Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

i dont know, who said he was brutish and callous? he seems to be a lovely, shy man. i will concede that it was probably infuriating to be married to him, with his drug and alcohol problems. a young girl doesnt want to marry someone and find out that that hes all old and used up and set in his ways and that a new life and new love isnt enough to wrench him out of his drug addled state. ive often thought i might've acting the same as her with the rages and abuse--just not the manipulation. that is, i probably wouldve been a jerk to him out of frustration, but unlike amber i wouldve known i was being a jerk and felt bad about it afterwards, since, after all, im not a narcissist.

Johnny Depp likes Hunter S. Thompson, and that’s typically a “tell” of your common bro. But I’d say it was confirmed by his texts to Paul Bettany. That was one of the more disappointing aspects of the Amber Heard trial for me: learning that Paul Bettany was friends with Johnny Depp. Add that to his continued involvement with comic book movies, and he’s no good anymore. I liked him in his early days. It was rumored that he was a misotheistic lapsed Catholic due to the untimely death of his brother, and that he purposely sought roles in films that were hostile to the Church. Turns out he’s just another bro.

I think if Johnny Depp was a lovely person, he wouldn’t have taken that undignified recurring role in that series of awful pirate movies. It’s like Paul Bettany with that “Marvel Universe” junk. Shows their colors.

yep, that's basically my novel, right there. shall i put you down for an advanced copy?!?!

Yes, please. When I first read some of your posts about this novel, I thought it might be a chimera or a clever ruse, but eventually I changed my mind. I think it’s real, and I’m intrigued.

Last edited:
Johnny Depp likes Hunter S. Thompson, and that’s typically a “tell” of your common bro. But I’d say it was confirmed by his texts to Paul Bettany. That was one of the more disappointing aspects of the Amber Heard trial for me: learning that Paul Bettany was friends with Johnny Depp. Add that to his continued involvement with comic book movies, and he’s no good anymore. I liked him in his early days. It was rumored that he was a misotheistic lapsed Catholic due to the untimely death of his brother, and that he purposely sought roles in films that were hostile to the Church. Turns out he’s just another bro.

I think if Johnny Depp was a lovely person, he wouldn’t have taken that undignified recurring role in that series of awful pirate movies. It’s like Paul Bettany with that “Marvel Universe” junk. Shows their colors.

Yes, please. When I first read some of your posts about this novel, I thought it might be a chimera or a clever ruse, but eventually I changed my mind. I think it’s real, and I’m intrigued.
Oh no its real. It just isn't very good :(

I mean, I like the bones of my novel. But I can't bring it to life, make it engaging or dimensional. It's just a pile of words.

*sigh* Writing a novel is unbelievably complex. I'm starting to think it might be impossible. And yet other people have done it and other people arent smarter than me, so I dont understand. Maybe I'm missing part of my brain?

I had never heard of bro culture before so I can't confirm or deny that that is what Johnny Depp is. However I imagine there are a lot of people of varied types who like hunter s Thompson and also who write emails like that. I agree that the pirate movies are probably awful.

As for Paul Bettany i don't know anything about him except that he's married to megababe Jennifer connelly who even at 50 is a thousand times hotter than amber heard has ever been. I bet amber was beastly jealous of her.

He's also great friends with his "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" co- star Benicio del Toro.

i have insomnia again and it f***ing sucks. its coincided with a sudden onset of early morning shifts at work which means that ive been having to call in a lot because i simply didnt get any sleep the night before. i dont even know if not getting any sleep is a legitimate excuse for calling in to work, but it bloody well should be. i shouldnt be expected to go in on no sleep, and with a massive headache on top of it. i know they're going to be annoyed with me anyway, though, especially after the billion word email i just sent them in my sleep deprived state about the whole situation.

How awful not to be able to sleep. Hope this gets better when it gets cooler and darker and you and Ed can cuddle up and drink Apple Pie Baileys.

I have the opposite problem. I sleep too much. I sleep and sleep and sleep but it’s non-restorative sleep, so I sleep 16 hours, wake up, feel exhausted and need to sleep more.

And yes, insomnia is a legitimate reason to call in sick.

How awful not to be able to sleep. Hope this gets better when it gets cooler and darker and you and Ed can cuddle up and drink Apple Pie Baileys.

I have the opposite problem. I sleep too much. I sleep and sleep and sleep but it’s non-restorative sleep, so I sleep 16 hours, wake up, feel exhausted and need to sleep more.

And yes, insomnia is a legitimate reason to call in sick.
i forgot about apple pie baileys!!! that IS something to look forward to!!!! 😍

sorry to hear about your sleep problems! 16 hours of sleep sounds nice but it's no good if it's not restorative. for a while i was sleeping a ton too, like 10 -12 hours a night sometimes, and i would wake up in the morning and feel like i could just keep sleeping for hours. i was having the BEST sleeps though!! now, i can get around 4 hours a night at most, if im lucky (last night it was about 2.5), and even then, it's a sort of half sleep, where i still feel half concious. i took some melatonin last night and i started to feel relaxed and i thought "great! maybe ill be able to sleep!", cause i really felt like i could, but nope, i just laid there for hours, AGAIN. it's like the connection between me and sleep has been shattered.

thank you for saying it's a legitimate reason to call in! i think so too! did they honestly expect me to come in on NO sleep?!?! they told me i better "figure" it out. so i "figured it out": i restricted my hours on certain days to say that i cant start before 12:30. that'll show them for not being accommodating and thinking that it was MY responsibility to accomodate THEM.

god, it's so humid, bun bun, and the people upstairs are being noisy (it's 1am!!! how f***ing obnxious!!). im in hell right now.

He won't do any publicity.

He's got a nephew posting far right videos - for whatever reason.

And there's a handful of far right people - or anti-wokists 🙄 - hijacking his name on sites like this.

It makes running a campaign difficult. Get him a decent pr & it would be fine.
So basically you are saying that the reason no record label will touch Morrissey is because his nephew has posted some dodgy links on Morrissey Central and there is a right wing conspiracy to take over Morrissey-solo to paint him as a racist?
You do understand why several people on this website have expressed concern for your mental health?

So basically you are saying that the reason no record label will touch Morrissey is because his nephew has posted some dodgy links on Morrissey Central and there is a right wing conspiracy to take over Morrissey-solo to paint him as a racist?
You do understand why several people on this website have expressed concern for your mental health?

For example:

20220816_140225.jpg

20220816_140213.jpg

Last edited:
For example:

View attachment 83506

View attachment 83507

Oh, the woke had written off Morrissey well before any postings by SER. Bragg makes it quite clear that he thinks that particular posting on Morrissey Central 'confirms' Moz is alt-right or nazi or racist or heretic or whatever it is he thinks Morrissey is, based on his previous statements and interviews.
The same with that bizarre article from the NME. As if Morrissey is responsible for anything posted on Morrissey-solo ffs. Apparently it's his 'dedicated website'. Lol. That did make me laugh.
The loon of a journalist makes his views on the matter quite clear:
'It’s in the last decade (particularly since 2017’s ‘Low In High School’) that Morrissey’s persona has become increasingly toxic, whether he’s criticising #MeToo or immigration or…Well, you know what he said.'
SER may well have posted a few rogue links on Central, and anyone trawling through posts on Solo (a site that is very definitely not Morrissey's dedicated website) may well find all sorts of bile and intellectual garbage on the right and the left of the political spectrum, plus the occasional gem of course - but to claim that this is why Moz is persona non grata in 2022 is ridiculous.

Oh, the woke had written off Morrissey well before any postings by SER. Bragg makes it quite clear that he thinks that particular posting on Morrissey Central 'confirms' Moz is alt-right or nazi or racist or heretic or whatever it is he thinks Morrissey is, based on his previous statements and interviews.
The same with that bizarre article from the NME. As if Morrissey is responsible for anything posted on Morrissey-solo ffs. Apparently it's his 'dedicated website'. Lol. That did make me laugh.
The loon of a journalist makes his views on the matter quite clear:
'It’s in the last decade (particularly since 2017’s ‘Low In High School’) that Morrissey’s persona has become increasingly toxic, whether he’s criticising #MeToo or immigration or…Well, you know what he said.'
SER may well have posted a few rogue links on Central, and anyone trawling through posts on Solo (a site that is very definitely not Morrissey's dedicated website) may well find all sorts of bile and intellectual garbage on the right and the left of the political spectrum, plus the occasional gem of course - but to claim that this is why Moz is persona non grata in 2022 is ridiculous.

It's right there & you're trying to style it out.

They have relentlessly accused him of being "ambiguous".

The Morgoth video & the far right posters on here are explicitly racist & neo-Nazi.

Combined with his withdrawal from public life - that is a problem.

Last edited:
Shouldn't anyone who writes an article about Morrissey actually know what he thinks of this site and his history with it? Shouldn't that be part of the research? (it would probably give David more traffic too)
Does anyone care what Billy Bragg thinks?

Billy Bragg’s a limp dick only getting ever limper. Can’t believe anyone’s in all seriousness trying to recycle that snoozefest all over again. It was desperado soundbites all ‘round the first time it was in rotation, with a side of soggy lettuce. Pass.

I would love to argue about how good BillyBragg is but he is completely unknown in the US so I have no idea.
He’s actually made a few good albums and several fantastic songs. Mostly in the eighties. But nowadays he’s overbearingly PC.

I'd say he's always been PC and never wavered.
That’s true. But never before has the overly PC mindset felt as overbearing and goodie-two-shoes as it does today. Maybe that’s it.

honestly, no offense @Gregor Samsa but the term “pc” is just a way to dismiss someone without considering their ideas. I can’t imagine anything better than a “social justice warrior,” to name another example. The world could use more social justice.

“Politically Correct” is meant to imply a type of insincerity. I don’t know or care how sincere Billy Bragg is but if someone thinks he is clinging to some false political image because he can’t write a hit song it would be more honest to say that.

I know he was somewhat well known decades ago but I was just trying to make a joke. Soon he may become more well known for his opinions on Morrissey than for his own work. It is a strange situation for an alleged musical artist to put themselves in. Much like Uncleskinny, instead of doing something to make a difference, which Billy Bragg might do, it seems they take the easy way and allow their arrogance to guide them in “exposing “ a musical artist that probably hasn’t given them a thought in years.

no, im saying because it was a personal and harmless opinion expressed by dotmatrix you should've left it the f*** alone.

It was injected into a disagreement I was having with Gregor Samsa. The person was agreeing with him that Morrissey might like Grease. I don't care for that speculation, so I registered my dislike.

if it's a post where leaving a downvote is going to cause the person to perhaps wonder "what did i do to him?" and if you care at all about not causing that confusion, then dont leave a downvote.

This is what I'm not understanding. Nobody's reaction to a downvote should be to take it personally. You shouldn't think, "what did I do to him?" You should think, "well, this person really takes issue with my opinion."

Some users will go through a thread and downvote someone else's every post there, seemingly out of spite. That does seem a bit obnoxious and vendetta-driven, but a lone downvote should be respected for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom