Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

A black-trench-coated teenager scowling at the world for being beneath them is, in my opinion, very disingenuous, so they’re definitely not mutually exclusive. And I tried to end it and move on with my last post, but it seems you’re not full. I accept that you don’t like Grease, but I do feel there’s something adolescent about you. I might, however, be entirely wrong.

Okay, we must have different experiences with black-trench-coated teenagers. I've usually found them pretty intense and sincere.

I can't deny that there might be something adolescent about me. Like many people who are devoted to Morrissey, there's often a case of arrested development going on. No sin in that.

Gregor, do you seriously think the person who sang Bootylicious is intelligent?
Sure, why not? That song, recorded when she was 20, does not define her entire being for all time. Since then, she has recorded some of the most interesting modern soul music and released it in quite groundbreaking ways.

It’s comments like this, where you dismiss an entire human being’s intelligence because of some silly song recorded 20 years ago, that makes me think you’re quite foolish and not really that clever.

I wasn't trying to be clever. I didn't realize that song was twenty years old, it seemed more like ten. I looked at her discography and I'm completely unfamiliar with most of it. It's possible she's brilliant. I'm just saying that on the occasions over the years when Beyoncé has come onto my radar, superficially, she always seems to be doing a song & dance not dissimilar to the Bootylicious- or All the Single Ladies-type material. It's possible I'm getting a sample unrepresentative of her work and evolution.

gregors alright, he's just a little cheesy. but he likes 'sugar girl' so it's cool.

I wasn't trying to be clever. I didn't realize that song was twenty years old, it seemed more like ten. I looked at her discography and I'm completely unfamiliar with most of it. It's possible she's brilliant. I'm just saying that on the occasions over the years when Beyoncé has come onto my radar, superficially, she always seems to be doing a song & dance not dissimilar to the Bootylicious- or All the Single Ladies-type material. It's possible I'm getting a sample unrepresentative of her work and evolution.
Hey, she’s not Coltrane, but she’s sure as hell not MC Hammer either. As far as modern commercial music’s concerned, I think she’s the best. That might not say much, but still.

I think those songs were typical of her 2000’s. Since her self-titled 2013 album, however, she’s had a more “edgy” approach, a more mature approach. It’s all relative, of course.

Admitting that Beyoncé is intelligent (shouldn’t be a controversial statement) is the same as being a pre-pubescent child, how exactly?
And forgive me for not accepting your comments as M Solo Gospel. I’m happy interacting with a few nice people on here, knowing full well I’m not breaking new ground or converting anyone to a spectacular agenda. But A for effort, Scanty!’
“Admitting” that “Beyonce is intelligent” is hilarious. You have been spectacularly funny without even trying to be. FYI, i have no problem with Beyonce. However also fyi - she is a high school dropout, she is functionally illiterate, and she can BARELY string words into a sentence to speak.

As for “I’m happy interacting with a few nice people on here…” - you are full of it. Because what on God’s green earth makes you think that other people on this site feel like having to read or scroll through multiple, repetitive, ongoing posts from you where you decide to start harping on at someone about their supposed inadequecies and shortcomings - as perceived by you? Absolutely laughable that this is your M.O.

If you don’t like someone, why not keep it to yourself? It’s not a question. It’s a recommendation, bespoke all for you.

“Admitting” that “Beyonce is intelligent” is hilarious. You have been spectacularly funny without even trying to be. FYI, i have no problem with Beyonce. However also fyi - she is a high school dropout, she is functionally illiterate, and she can BARELY string words into a sentence to speak.

As for “I’m happy interacting with a few nice people on here…” - you are full of it. Because what on God’s green earth makes you think that other people on this site feel like having to read or scroll through multiple, repetitive, ongoing posts from you where you decide to start harping on at someone about their supposed inadequecies and shortcomings - as perceived by you? Absolutely laughable that this is your M.O.

If you don’t like someone, why not keep it to yourself? It’s not a question. It’s a recommendation, bespoke all for you.
I would love to ask for evidence of this. Can you be bothered?

It’s not my MO. You’re still upset I told you off for speaking like a child, though. I’m genuinely sorry if I hurt your feelings. I stand by the sentiment, but I was probably having a bad day and you got in the crosshairs. This is a cesspool and that gets to us all. Not too cool.

I wish you nothing but great things.

I would love to ask for evidence of this. Can you be bothered?

It’s not my MO. You’re still upset I told you off for speaking like a child, though. I’m genuinely sorry if I hurt your feelings. I stand by the sentiment, but I was probably having a bad day and you got in the crosshairs. This is a cesspool and that gets to us all. Not too cool.

I wish you nothing but great things.
No to all of that. And the reason i said something to you is because I’m seeing you being repeatedly snide to people. I will admit that you seem to have two gears: fawning or snide. But snide is the one that I’ve been seeing with more frequency lately.

There’s no law against being snide. But then don’t be confused about why people react to you the way they do, when they do.

No to all of that. And the reason i said something to you is because I’m seeing you being repeatedly snide to people. I will admit that you seem to have two gears: fawning or snide. But snide is the one that I’ve been seeing with more frequency lately.

There’s no law against being snide. But then don’t be confused about why people react to you the way they do, when they do.
You’ve probably “seen” it more frequently because you got told off at one point and it irks you. I’ve said enough about that incident already.
And I’m not bothered by people reacting any way to me. I don’t think it’s a huge concern. If I see something I like, I might make my voice heard, likewise if there’s something that rubs me the wrong way.

You’ve probably “seen” it more frequently because you got told off at one point and it irks you. I’ve said enough about that incident already.
And I’m not bothered by people reacting any way to me. I don’t think it’s a huge concern. If I see something I like, I might make my voice heard, likewise if there’s something that rubs me the wrong way.
I don’t know what you think I’ve been “told off” about, but what i do know for a fact based on your own posts is that you’re largely a dunce

I don’t know what you think I’ve been “told off” about, but what i do know for a fact based on your own posts is that you’re largely a dunce
We’ve been through this.
And you’re free to feel like you know I’m a dunce. I might not be the only one, you know!

i dont understand what is the purpose of these "you're this that and the other" arguments, when the purpose isnt to be funny. is it to put the other person into a corner with your opinion alone? is it to thwomp them into non-existence by your keen perception of them? is it to alert them to change their ways?

i mean, even if you think all these things about a person, they're still allowed to exist as an autonomous being. i think what rubs me the wrong way about these arguments is that theres a feeling like you're holding them to account for the way they are, and that they need to be answerable to that. and they dont. they dont HAVE to care that that's what someone thinks.

i dont understand what is the purpose of these "you're this that and the other" arguments, when the purpose isnt to be funny. is it to put the other person into a corner with your opinion alone? is it to thwomp them into non-existence by your keen perception of them? is it to alert them to change their ways?

i mean, even if you think all these things about a person, they're still allowed to exist as an autonomous being. i think what rubs me the wrong way about these arguments is that theres a feeling like you're holding them to account for the way they are, and that they need to be answerable to that. and they dont. they dont HAVE to care that that's what someone thinks.
This is very true. Well said. I’ve popped off at a few people just because I acted on a whim regarding something that might have irked me, and two seconds later I’m over it. But they might not be. I would hate it if they thought I felt they need to be accountable for whatever it is I’ve popped off at.

Hey, she’s not Coltrane, but she’s sure as hell not MC Hammer either. As far as modern commercial music’s concerned, I think she’s the best. That might not say much, but still.

By “commercial,” are you excluding Erykah Badu? She’s not as famous or as prolific as Beyoncé, but she charts pretty decently.

For how long do you want to drag this idiocy out? I am, of course, just trying to just be myself ("you do you,") but you keep coming up with all these things you claim to read between the lines. First it's that I come off as an immature black-trench-coated teenager scowling at the world for being beneath me, and now it's that I'm disingenuous? Pick an insult and stick with it. I genuinely dislike Grease. Do you think I was saying that just to "play a role"? There are plenty of people in this world who really and truly DON'T LIKE GREASE. It's not an esoteric stance. It's not a pose. Grease is pretty silly fare.
I hate Grease and I think a black trench coat is a fashion staple everyone should have.

Agreed on the first part, however a black trench can be a bit of a "school shooter psycho" look. But then again:

Michael-Caine-poses-in-a-double-breasted-trench-coat-during-the-filming-of-Get-Carter-1971.jpg
People only associate black trenches with school shooters because of Columbine, it's just an immature insult from Gregor, he never quite knows when to stop

People only associate black trenches with school shooters because of Columbine, it's just an immature insult from Gregor, he never quite knows when to stop

That's true. I remember the first vegan I ever knew was a classmate of mine in high school in the 80s who was straight edge and listened to Fugazi and wore black trench coats and combat boots. He had a unisex name and was soft-spoken and principled and not psychotic at all. We were having lunch in the cafeteria one day and he took a brick of soy cheese out of his lunch kit and sliced it and kindly offered us pieces. We were dismissive and poked a little bit of fun at him while we chowed down on our school-issue Ellio's pizza slices. I still feel bad about that. I tried looking him up when I joined Facebook briefly many years ago, with the intention of apologizing for something he probably doesn't even recall or give a f*ck about, but he wasn't on.

Back
Top Bottom