Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

It's strange how some people can drink/smoke for years and seem bulletproof, while others seem to go downhill quickly.
My father is going down the Mark E Smith kind of route with drink.
I can remember being really shocked when Sean Hughes died from cirrhosis - he was only 51 and I don't think he was really known (publicly) to be a big drinker.

I think you're avoiding the question.
You think a lot of things that aren't true. Now don't get testy because someone does not want to play this game with you. The more you are fed, the hungrier you get.

I can't imagine it - but Central has posted a video that aligns him with Trump under the title 'a view'.
See this shit? This is why we think you’re deranged. For god’s sake, M can sit here and denounce whomever he wants repeatedly but if someone who’s guilty of “wrong think” mentions him in a video, despite having no control over who speaks his name, or have a single similar view or talking point in common - YOU - lump him in with other deplorables with this bizarre 6 degrees of separation and then rage on about how you hate when people do it to him. Your thought process is just short of maniacal.

See this shit? This is why we think you’re deranged. For god’s sake, M can sit here and denounce whomever he wants repeatedly but if someone who’s guilty of “wrong think” mentions him in a video, despite having no control over who speaks his name, or have a single similar view or talking point in common - YOU - lump him in with other deplorables with this bizarre 6 degrees of separation and then rage on about how you hate when people do it to him. Your thought process is just short of maniacal.

Is it is imperative to discuss my mental health on this site?

Sorry to hear about your dad’s issues, @Amy .
Thanks, Dave. We have reached a sort of agreement / truce over the years.
In essence - my part of the deal is not to mention his drinking, smoking or lifestyle at all whenever I see him and stick to other topics.
In return, he always tries to be sober and clean-shaven on the days that we meet, and makes a good effort to eat some food.
It's okay. It works, I guess.

Thanks, Dave. We have reached a sort of agreement / truce over the years.
In essence - my part of the deal is not to mention his drinking, smoking or lifestyle at all whenever I see him and stick to other topics.
In return, he always tries to be sober and clean-shaven on the days that we meet, and makes a good effort to eat some food.
It's okay. It works, I guess.
🧀

Cheesy? Ok. 🤷‍♀️
it sounded like something out of a bad novel for sentimental teenage girls. it sounded disembodied, as in, nobody actually talks that way about deeply personal situations. and therefore was it cheesy.

(i think im going to start the so-low cheese awards where every week i pick one post that really takes the cake (the cheesecake that is!!). although something tells me the name 'gregor samsa' would be popping up A LOT).

it sounded like something out of a bad novel for sentimental teenage girls. it sounded disembodied, as in, nobody actually talks that way about deeply personal situations. and therefore was it cheesy.
I'm not going to spew the whole situation on Solo, it's a music forum and I don't like to discuss my personal life. Anything personal is immediately weaponised here. If it sounds 'disembodied' though, it is - because alcoholics are exhausting, infuriating, draining people and your sympathy for them just dries up over time. Eventually, most people cut them out completely or just settle for the 5% of them that's still functional, and that's all I'm doing. My Dad rarely eats - his lifestyle has taken most of his f***ing teeth - so if I can get him to eat a burger or some chilli once in a while, I'm pleased. I really couldn't care what people on the Internet think about that, take from it what you will.

I'm not going to spew the whole situation on Solo, it's a music forum and I don't like to discuss my personal life. Anything personal is immediately weaponised here. If it sounds 'disembodied' though, it is - because alcoholics are exhausting, infuriating, draining people and your sympathy for them just dries up over time. Eventually, most people cut them out completely or just settle for the 5% of them that's still functional, and that's all I'm doing. My Dad rarely eats - his lifestyle has taken most of his f***ing teeth - so if I can get him to eat a burger or some chilli once in a while, I'm pleased. I really couldn't care what people on the Internet think about that, take from it what you will.
Keep strong Amy. I’m thinking of
You.

that sounded more real. maybe it takes getting you annoyed to get you to sound real. 🤷‍♀️

yeah, ill admit, that does sound rough. my dads an alcohol too but he's a functioning one (sort of). ive gone the "completely cut them out" route but that's because he's a textbook narcissist, not because he's an alcoholic.

that sounded more real. maybe it takes getting you annoyed to get you to sound real. 🤷‍♀️

yeah, ill admit, that does sound rough. my dads an alcohol too but he's a functioning one (sort of). ive gone the "completely cut them out" route but that's because he's a textbook narcissist, not because he's an alcoholic.
Ah. Does he try to get in touch?

Ah. Does he try to get in touch?
haha no, no at all. but if you ask him, it's all ME not talking to him. he's the innocent one to whom things are done. but he "always wins" and it's important for him that everyone including his kids know that.

he was in our (me & my sister's) city twice in one month a while back (to play golf or some nonsense) and didnt even tell us (my sister DOES keep in contact with him, but she has to call him). he told her this after going on about how much he cares and wishes he had a better relationship with her. of course, she was expected to tell him how great a father he is for caring so much (despite doing absolutely nothing to show that he does). and then to top it off, our cousin posted pictures on facebook of she & him hanging out. apparently they're great buddies. which is really f***ing weird.

im not invested but my sister gets really upset about it, and i just tell her: he's an actual narcissist and he isnt going to change and she needs to just accept that.

Back
Top Bottom