Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

I see 🙄
The minimum wage lot are on
Duty again .
With your red thumbs sweeties,
You bring far more attention to my art than I could ever hope to ...

A big thanks from solos
Main poetry man 🤓🤓🤓

My Attempt at a Poem

I saw the dentist today
He drilled and filled
Without anesthetic
It didn't hurt
He saved my tooth
From a blackened recess
I'm relieved to tell the truth

I bought a Nutri Bullet
For the day I haven't enough teeth
To eat
My teeth are yellow
But I'm very mellow
One day I'll be toothless
I guess

My Attempt at a Poem

I saw the dentist today
He drilled and filled
Without anesthetic
It didn't hurt
He saved my tooth
From a blackened recess
I'm relieved to tell the truth

I bought a Nutri Bullet
For the day I haven't enough teeth
To eat
My teeth are yellow
But I'm very mellow
One day I'll be toothless
I guess
Brilliant 😎😎😎

With out pain relief 😬😬😬😬

oh dave, he likes to say im just trying to be edgy too. he's a sad little man, dont worry about him.

Yes, I take him to be the resident "gifs, memes, & snark" user. Which is kind of a shame, because sometimes he'll prove himself capable of writing a lucid and interesting post, but then he'll quickly revert to jerk form. If it wasn't for his politics, I would suspect him of being a transient from "the chans"; that's about his level of discourse.

I thought Aubrey was a dame? Do ya'll suppose that's really him in his picture?

Je ne suis pas une dame. Unfortunately, that is not me in my avatar. That is a beautiful and doomed young artist, and I am a boring middle-aged non-entity. But I am indeed a male, and this may explain the profound difference in what we each consider beautiful and "the pinnacle of hotness." For a time in my life I was a Platonist dreamer, and I believed in the divine, and that the contemplation of physical beauty was like the soul's ascent to God. But I don't think that was correct. I don't think beauty is something to meditate on or be approached. I think it just is, and it hits you.

You could lock me in a cell wallpapered with that picture of Karen Elson for twenty years and I doubt I'd ever experience a mystical conversion over it. I searched for other images of her and they didn't help either. Again, too statueseque and sexless. This returns to my problem with the supermodel. Forgive me, but in some pictures she almost has a drag queen quality. Which does have its place, I suppose. Shave her eyebrows and paint a lightning bolt down her face and she's Aladdin Sane. But that is neither here nor there, and "in our different ways we are the same." What you like about Laetitia Casta is that when you look at her you think of "idyllic afternoons in pastoral settings, with the sun pouring down like honey, and streams lined with wildflowers, and creme fraiche and strawberries and handsome lusty tom jones type farmboys." And when I look at Amber Heard I am fourteen again, and inexplicably and desperately and hopelessly smitten with the blonde seventeen-year-old hair-metal Rocket Queen who was in my school, who had a certain tawdriness entwined in her beauty, the jaded delinquent girl from the dysfunctional family, and the mind conjures up high heels and fishnets and black leather miniskirts and leopard print blouses, and bangles on her lovely wrists as she smokes her cigarette. For me, beauty has impertinence and impudence. It confronts you. Beauty has contempt for mere mortals. Am I making sense? Probably not. If there is anything religious about it, it is that is ineffable, as the theologians say.

Last edited:
Yes, I take him to be the resident "gifs, memes, & snark" user. Which is kind of a shame, because sometimes he'll prove himself capable of writing a lucid and interesting post, but then he'll quickly revert to jerk form. If it wasn't for his politics, I would suspect him of being a transient from "the chans"; that's about his level of discourse.

Je ne suis pas une dame. Unfortunately, that is not me in my avatar. That is a beautiful and doomed young artist, and I am a boring middle-aged non-entity. But I am indeed a male, and this may explain the profound difference in what we each consider beautiful and "the pinnacle of hotness." For a time in my life I was a Platonist dreamer, and I believed in the divine, and that the contemplation of physical beauty was like the soul's ascent to God. But I don't think that was correct. I don't think beauty is something to meditate on or be approached. I think it just is, and it hits you.

You could lock me in a cell wallpapered with that picture of Karen Elson for twenty years and I doubt I'd ever experience a mystical conversion over it. I searched for other images of her and they didn't help either. Again, too statueseque and sexless. This returns to my problem with the supermodel. Forgive me, but in some pictures she almost has a drag queen quality. Which does have its place, I suppose. Shave her eyebrows and paint a lightning bolt down her face and she's Aladdin Sane. But that is neither here nor there, and "in our different ways we are the same." What you like about Laetitia Casta is that when you look at her you think of "idyllic afternoons in pastoral settings, with the sun pouring down like honey, and streams lined with wildflowers, and creme fraiche and strawberries and handsome lusty tom jones type farmboys." And when I look at Amber Heard I am fourteen again, and inexplicably and desperately and hopelessly smitten with the blonde seventeen-year-old hair-metal Rocket Queen who was in my school, who had a certain tawdriness entwined in her beauty, the jaded delinquent girl from the dysfunctional family, and the mind conjures up high heels and fishnets and black leather miniskirts and leopard print blouses, and bangles on her lovely wrists as she smokes her cigarette. For me, beauty has impertinence and impudence. It confronts you. Beauty has contempt for mere mortals. Am I making sense? Probably not. If there is anything religious about it, it is that is ineffable, as the theologians say.
you're confusing beauty for sex and nostalgia though. it's not the same thing. your opinion is tainted by the fact that you're a heterosexual male who's gone through puberty. and while your description may be poetic, it's not intellectual, nor necessarily true, and thats a result of your wiener getting caught up in it. (same goes for you @Born to Harangue . ill be talking to you later)

the thing about karen elson is that i thought the same thing before i went through my mystical conversion. i felt the same way about a lot of the elite models, rejecting them at first sight. eventually i almost always come to love them, and while it's not a sexual love, it has something of the deeply personal and lasting about it.

what you've just admitted to is a failure of your own self to meet beauty on it's level. you need to try harder. beauty is not about instant gratification. not all beauty 'hits you'. though sometimes it does, other times it may be of the slow release variety. the analogy i always like to make is to what glenn gould said about music: that it's real work takes place in the brain and that the sound was only the vehicle to convey the 'idea' of the music to the brain. and so while mozart may sound better to the ear, and may be more immediately pleasing than bach, the ideas contained within bach's music are far superior. of course, for those who have not spent a lot of time listening to classical music so as not to be able to identify the superiority of bach over mozart, they will probably on first listen prefer mozart and declare him the better musician--much the same way you grasp at amber heard as being more beautiful than karen elson, because her appeal is more immediately and readily accessible to a lay person. but immediate and readily accessible does not necessarily equal beautiful. and unfortunately in this instance it is not your ear but your wiener that has conveyed the message to your brain, and once there your brain will have no use for it. of course that's probably of no concern to you, but it is to me.

what's the name of the artist in your avatar?

There you go again. Like a pathetic programmable robot signalling whatever obscure cultural figure Morrissey has appropriated to try and look slightly less ludicrous.

Everything you write is 'off topic' because you are delusional. You desperately have to defend yourself because otherwise you disintegrate when faced with feedback explaining you are a solipsist, as is Morrissey.

Now, scuttle away and find another Black meme to hollaback with. Next, you'll be claiming you always loved rap once the A$AP Rocky collaboration 'drops'.

Clown.

BB
Fratton
Kernow

Last edited:
you're confusing beauty for sex and nostalgia though. it's not the same thing. your opinion is tainted by the fact that you're a heterosexual male who's gone through puberty. and while your description may be poetic, it's not intellectual, nor necessarily true, and thats a result of your wiener getting caught up in it. (same goes for you @Born to Harangue . ill be talking to you later)

the thing about karen elson is that i thought the same thing before i went through my mystical conversion. i felt the same way about a lot of the elite models, rejecting them at first sight. eventually i almost always come to love them, and while it's not a sexual love, it has something of the deeply personal and lasting about it.

what you've just admitted to is a failure of your own self to meet beauty on it's level. you need to try harder. beauty is not about instant gratification. not all beauty 'hits you'. though sometimes it does, other times it may be of the slow release variety. the analogy i always like to make is to what glenn gould said about music: that it's real work takes place in the brain and that the sound was only the vehicle to convey the 'idea' of the music to the brain. and so while mozart may sound better to the ear, and may be more immediately pleasing than bach, the ideas contained within bach's music are far superior. of course, for those who have not spent a lot of time listening to classical music so as not to be able to identify the superiority of bach over mozart, they will probably on first listen prefer mozart and declare him the better musician--much the same way you grasp at amber heard as being more beautiful than karen elson, because her appeal is more immediately and readily accessible to a lay person. but immediate and readily accessible does not necessarily equal beautiful. and unfortunately in this instance it is not your ear but your wiener that has conveyed the message to your brain, and once there your brain will have no use for it. of course that's probably of no concern to you, but it is to me.

what's the name of the artist in your avatar?

You're a good writer. "It is not your ear but your weiner that has conveyed the message to your brain" is an excellent line. I do not think we are likely to come to an agreement on the subject of beauty, but it's gratifying to read your musings. I will concede that Amber Heard's looks are "more immediately and readily accessible to a lay person." She has more of a "Maxim magazine Top 10" sort of beauty than an arch, supermodel sort of beauty, but at the same time I think she transcends her Maxim appeal. I'm not able to say how or why, but it is intuited. Perhaps this is just, as you say, my sense of nostalgia speaking, but I don't think nostalgia is anything to be sneezed at. Nostalgia, to me, is preferable to an abstract idyll. I suffer from what is probably a common sort of anhedonia where the older I get, the more things bore me, and the less appeal anything has. It's not that I want to go back to the 80s specifically, but I just want to go back to when I felt and sensed things, like lust and emotions, so much more acutely. And occasionally an Amber Heard will come onto the scene and the right buttons are pushed, and a little flicker of the old feminine magic appears for a moment, and then just as quickly dies. Sic transit gloria mundi; mono no aware. I think your appreciation of beauty must be on the level of the eternal, whereas mine is ephemeral.

The artist in my avatar is Aubrey Beardsley. He was an illustrator and a friend of Oscar Wilde's. Even more than his art, though, I love him for the fact that he seems to have been equally obsessed with and conflicted about sex, and at the final end of his sex-&-guilt hand-wringings, he converted to Roman Catholicism shortly before his death at 25. And unlike a deathbed conversion rogue such as Rimbaud, Beardsley wanted his profane works destroyed.

Björn is writing poetry. He is so inspired by this forum!!!

View attachment 82241
hi BJORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so good to see you!!!! how's greece!!!! (meet any babes?!) ❤️

(oh my gosh, bun bun, tell him to STOP reading this forum RIGHT NOW!!!! even for EddY to write something like that would be shocking!!)

haha you better destroy that piece of paper, bun bun!!! imagine if someone saw it?!? (although im sure guests to baz's house see things like that all the time :paranoid:)

You're a good writer. "It is not your ear but your weiner that has conveyed the message to your brain" is an excellent line. I do not think we are likely to come to an agreement on the subject of beauty, but it's gratifying to read your musings. I will concede that Amber Heard's looks are "more immediately and readily accessible to a lay person." She has more of a "Maxim magazine Top 10" sort of beauty than an arch, supermodel sort of beauty, but at the same time I think she transcends her Maxim appeal. I'm not able to say how or why, but it is intuited. Perhaps this is just, as you say, my sense of nostalgia speaking, but I don't think nostalgia is anything to be sneezed at. Nostalgia, to me, is preferable to an abstract idyll. I suffer from what is probably a common sort of anhedonia where the older I get, the more things bore me, and the less appeal anything has. It's not that I want to go back to the 80s specifically, but I just want to go back to when I felt and sensed things, like lust and emotions, so much more acutely. And occasionally an Amber Heard will come onto the scene and the right buttons are pushed, and a little flicker of the old feminine magic appears for a moment, and then just as quickly dies. Sic transit gloria mundi; mono no aware. I think your appreciation of beauty must be on the level of the eternal, whereas mine is ephemeral.

The artist in my avatar is Aubrey Beardsley. He was an illustrator and a friend of Oscar Wilde's. Even more than his art, though, I love him for the fact that he seems to have been equally obsessed with and conflicted about sex, and at the final end of his sex-&-guilt hand-wringings, he converted to Roman Catholicism shortly before his death at 25. And unlike a deathbed conversion rogue such as Rimbaud, Beardsley wanted his profane works destroyed.
well im glad amber heard makes your wiener feel alive!!

im very nostalgic too. i get a proustian rush precisely every ten minutes. so nothing against nostalgia, its just that it muddies the waters in discussions about beauty, same as having male appendage muddies the waters.

my appreciation of beauty is on the level of the eternal AND the ephemeral.

i didnt know that's what aubrey beardsley looked like! i pictured him as some creepy round little dude with boot polish black hair.

Back
Top Bottom