Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

I didn't mind Oasis either but the level of fame they reached was totally out of all proportion to their talent. They had a few good songs at the beginning and then it all became turgid drivel - and yet their popularity soared. Little of their output has stood the test of time. Not in the same league as Pulp and Suede.
They were at their best when they were at their least inventive. For me, Go Let it Out was their finest song.

They were at their best when they were at their least inventive. For me, Go Let it Out was their finest song.

Rock and Roll star attracted me to them and I saw them shortly after at Sheffield Octagon where they were absolutely brilliant, unfortunately I saw their last ever gig at The V Fest and they were proper shite.

I didn't mind Oasis either but the level of fame they reached was totally out of all proportion to their talent. They had a few good songs at the beginning and then it all became turgid drivel - and yet their popularity soared. Little of their output has stood the test of time. Not in the same league as Pulp and Suede.
Oasis captured the moment in the 90s they reinvented pop music/ rock n roll.. they were inclusive, as women then started to do exactly what the lads we’re doing, drinking more alcohol, taking more recreational drugs, and having more casual sex.

It certainly was a good time to be in your mid 20s believe me.. it’s fair to say that their later stuff was them just wanting to be the Beatles, but let’s never forget what Oasis ( and others) done for the British music scene... they reinvented it ...

I've just realised how stunningly inappropriate my Oasis clipping is on a thread about a death.

Rock and Roll star attracted me to them and I saw them shortly after at Sheffield Octagon where they were absolutely brilliant, unfortunately I saw their last ever gig at The V Fest and they were proper shite.
I still remember them appearing on The Word. When I saw the singer I strangely recognised him: a few months before I’d sat near him in The Angel pub in Denton—I’d noticed this guy dressed like Ian Brown wearing sunglasses at night.

The scene took the heat off me, with my quiff: all eyes were on him—and he didn’t even have to sing a note. He had presence in spades.

am i the only one who finds it strange that this guy died 2 years ago and its appearing on here today.

He dropped out of his social group & people didn't know where he was so it look a while for his press friends to find out.

Oasis captured the moment in the 90s they reinvented pop music/ rock n roll.. they were inclusive, as women then started to do exactly what the lads we’re doing, drinking more alcohol, taking more recreational drugs, and having more casual sex.

It certainly was a good time to be in your mid 20s believe me.. it’s fair to say that their later stuff was them just wanting to be the Beatles, but let’s never forget what Oasis ( and others) done for the British music scene... they reinvented it ...
... back to how it was.

To be frank, Creation had tried to do something similar a couple of times before: first with Adorable who were great, and then with The Boo Radleys. Both of these bands were backward looking outfits, with stylish gobby front men. And Oasis never made an album as good as Adorable’s debut or The Boo Radleys’ Everything’s Alright Forever.

Priceless: idiot responds to several posts exclusively about NME content by saying it sounds like a contributor only reads The Daily Mail.
Come on hovis , you need to get out and about more..and experience life a bit more..
And stop reading that ghastly newspaper...
honest, some real jokers on here...
Do you think most of them do it for a wind up, a laugh ???

Come on hovis , you need to get out and about more..and experience life a bit more..
And stop reading that ghastly newspaper...
honest, some real jokers on here...
Do you think most of them do it for a wind up, a laugh ???
I’m only asking for a bit of forethought on their side. And what’s this constant reference to a ‘basement’ in every other troll post? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Are they Perhaps referring to my demi sous-sol?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m only asking for a bit of forethought on their side. And what’s this constant reference to ‘basements’ in every other troll post? I’ve never heard of them. Are they referring to my demi sous-sol?
Basements, or being called a shit eater seems to be the faves, of the unmorrissey sect on here....
I’m really starting to think a lot of them come here to wind up the moz family on solo just for their own entertainment...

I’m only asking for a bit of forethought on their side. And what’s this constant reference to a ‘basement’ in every other troll post? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Are they Perhaps referring to my demi sous-sol?

The internet has created millions of people who have no idea what country they're in. When Trump won most of my friends were tweeting, Not My President. Aye, he really isn't. 🙄

I certainly don't get what you mean by reinventing anything...if you mean being loud mouthed, nasty and aggressive, well all that was complete over the top nonsense. They also didn't look great but they thought they did ( same as The Stone Roses & The Happy Mondays, both terrible looking groups in terms of image). Oasis did have some good songs but in the grand scheme of things they were totally overrated.

I certainly don't get what you mean by reinventing anything...if you mean being loud mouthed, nasty and aggressive, well all that was complete over the top nonsense. They also didn't look great but they thought they did ( same as The Stone Roses & The Happy Mondays, both terrible looking groups in terms of image). Oasis did have some good songs but in the grand scheme of things they were totally overrated.

Overrated by who? They sold millions of albums, filled Wembley stadium and played to 250K people over 2 night at Knebworth, where apparently 5% of the UK population tried to get tickets. Not bad for a band who were totally overated.

Overrated by who? They sold millions of albums, filled Wembley stadium and played to 250K people over 2 night at Knebworth, where apparently 5% of the UK population tried to get tickets. Not bad for a band who were totally overated.
Well I've mentioned some reasons in my first post which for me were a problem for buying into them completely. Liam's singing to my ears is far too rough & ready and I did prefer when Noel took lead vocals without the exaggerated vocal mannerisms Liam constantly used. Musically they were on point but far too often the lyrics were terrible and just nonsense tbh. That's a huge problem for me given I started listening to The Smiths at sixteen, then following Morrissey solo up to the present time so Moz and his lyrics are fantastic but Oasis allegedly being a group following in his Manc footsteps lyrically don't come close. The huge fanbase that went to the gigs you mention is incredible and absolutely is a positive for Oasis that's undeniable.

Well I've mentioned some reasons in my first post which for me were a problem for buying into them completely. Liam's singing to my ears is far too rough & ready and I did prefer when Noel took lead vocals without the exaggerated vocal mannerisms Liam constantly used. Musically they were on point but far too often the lyrics were terrible and just nonsense tbh. That's a huge problem for me given I started listening to The Smiths at sixteen, then following Morrissey solo up to the present time so Moz and his lyrics are fantastic but Oasis allegedly being a group following in his Manc footsteps lyrically don't come close. The huge fanbase that went to the gigs you mention is incredible and absolutely is a positive for Oasis that's undeniable.

Yes I totally agree, musically brilliant, lyrically ok but their crowds seem to thrive on the music. I went to Liam Gallagher's first solo gig at the Ritz in Manchester and the atmosphere was electric. Now he's plating huge gigs again, there is a huge demand for what Liam and Noel do.

0248-DD19-9611-41-DE-89-DA-61707-FA6575-C.jpg[IMG]

Back
Top Bottom