Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

Fancy that - someone clinging to the 80s!

They (the NME) were on a roll: the attack on Morrissey came straight after a sustained period of attacking The Happy Mondays over some interview content. And Guns n Roses had copped for it before them.

The Mondays played ball, and wrote the song Stinkin’ Thinkin’ to appease; the likes of Fadele, Steven Wells and Danny Kelly duly began to think they were gods. They went for Morrissey after a brief attempt to discredit The Stone Roses—who were invoked and slated for their defence of The Mondays.

It was almost like the NME had started to want a blacklist of artists and bands. Imagine that. Clearly Noel Gallagher was taking notes: for all of their bravado and expletives, Oasis were remarkably circumspect in interviews.

I didn't know that! Well, they're idiots because in the long run they made their copy more boring.

Funnily enough I found this clipping in my flat when I moved in & kept it because it was so brutal. (No idea where it's from, must be the 90s though).

20200815_145242.jpg

I didn't know that! Well, they're idiots because in the long run they made their copy more boring.

Funnily enough I found this clipping in my flat when I moved in & kept it because it was so brutal. (No idea where it's from, must be the 90s though).

View attachment 58594
“More Jimmy Pursey than Johnny Rotten”. Yes, not that there was anything wrong with the former. But he was Rotten Lite.

Whilst I didn’t mind Oasis, they always played ball. Their interviews were indeed studies in slippery vacuousness.

There would be no point deluding myself - it wouldn't help him.

The interview is a mess - but he's clearly trying to say that groups exist & does that make us all bigots for being in them... & also that we do need to agree on some things or society won't function - which is an argument about clashing rights & values, not race.

View attachment 58588

View attachment 58589
View attachment 58590
View attachment 58591

& he doesn't really think he can do anything about it because he believes the press knowingly lies (some sh*t misinterpreted or lied in the beginning but once the paraphrase was in circulation most people would think he did say that he preferred his own race - which isn't true).

View attachment 58592

This 👇 is about records - but I think he thinks everything is a fix & he probably wouldn't even like it if it worked in his favour.

View attachment 58593

It’s similar to what Brett Easton Ellis said in white

this is an age that judges everybody so harshly through the lens of identity politics that if you resist the threatening groupthink of progressive ideology, which proposes universal inclusivity except for those who dare to ask any questions, you’re somehow fu€ked. Everyone has to be the same, and have the same reactions to any given work of art, or movement or idea, and if you refuse to join the chorus of approval you will be tagged a racist or a misogynist. This is what happens to a culture when it no longer cares about art”

“More Jimmy Pursey than Johnny Rotten”. Yes, not that there was anything wrong with the former. But he was Rotten Lite.

Whilst I didn’t mind Oasis, they always played ball. Their interviews were indeed studies in slippery vacuousness.

If the press were making serious allegations by taking everything literally or out of context, then it makes sense that the new bands would be frightened.

Maybe that was the beginning of arts hacks turning into Mary Whitehouse - her taking The Romans In Britain to court is theatre legend.

They (the NME) were on a roll: the attack on Morrissey came straight after a sustained period of attacking The Happy Mondays over some interview content. And Guns n Roses had copped for it before them.

The Mondays played ball, and wrote the song Stinkin’ Thinkin’ to appease; the likes of Fadele, Steven Wells and Danny Kelly duly began to think they were gods. They went for Morrissey after a brief attempt to discredit The Stone Roses—who were invoked and slated for their defence of The Mondays.

It was almost like the NME had started to want a blacklist of artists and bands. Imagine that. Clearly Noel Gallagher was taking notes: for all of their bravado and expletives, Oasis were remarkably circumspect in interviews.

I used to hate Steven Wells. He despised all the music i love.

View attachment 58594 Baudrillard

Heeheheheheh. They were still trying to be pretentious twats that late...funny. Baudrillard ...oh my gawd.

It’s similar to what Brett Easton Ellis said in white

this is an age that judges everybody so harshly through the lens of identity politics that if you resist the threatening groupthink of progressive ideology, which proposes universal inclusivity except for those who dare to ask any questions, you’re somehow fu€ked. Everyone has to be the same, and have the same reactions to any given work of art, or movement or idea, and if you refuse to join the chorus of approval you will be tagged a racist or a misogynist. This is what happens to a culture when it no longer cares about art”

I first heard about him because a friend told me he was like some evil old sexist, racist psychopath & I looked him up & thought he was thoughtful & compassionate.

It's wild how bad someone's reputation can get if they've said the 'wrong thing'.

I used to hate Steven Wells. He despised all the music i love.
Yes, I think every 90s Morrissey fan disliked him because he did actually hate ‘us’.

After he died, I found out he was a close associate with—and writer for—Chris Morris (The Day Today etc.).

He was the left’s Gary Bushell (who I met at Morrissey’s Meltdown).

Yes, I think every 90s Morrissey fan disliked him because he did actually hate ‘us’.

After he died, I found out he was a close associate with—and writer for—Chris Morris (The Day Today etc.).

I didn't know that. Bushell was before my time..I remember him most popping up on the telly most. Only found out about his past yrs later.

Some writers are deeply jealous of Moz. He's so quotable.

Some writers are deeply jealous of Moz. He's so quotable.
If you can measure yourself by your enemies, Moz did OK with Wells. He was a clever journalist who knew the right lies to tell, contexts to obscure, and buttons to press.

On reflection, he was also quite funny and he was obviously enjoying the scope he was given, to hurt Morrissey at will, by the NME.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can measure yourself by your enemies, Moz did OK with Wells. He was a clever journalist who new the right lies to tell, contexts to obscure, and buttons to press.

On reflection, he was also quite funny and he was obviously enjoying the scope he was given, to hurt Morrissey at will, by the NME.

I will politely forget all about him.

Have you ever travelled, and experienced other cultures? Genuine question. You often sound so fearful and ignorant, as though you live in your mothers basement, and only read the Daily hate Mail.

That group of music hacks are a serious bunch of w...ers, tried to destroy Moz's career. Why is this guy getting mentioned here two years after he died? Are we supposed to be interested somehow?

I didn't mind Oasis either but the level of fame they reached was totally out of all proportion to their talent. They had a few good songs at the beginning and then it all became turgid drivel - and yet their popularity soared. Little of their output has stood the test of time. Not in the same league as Pulp and Suede.

I didn't mind Oasis either but the level of fame they reached was totally out of all proportion to their talent. They had a few good songs at the beginning and then it all became turgid drivel - and yet their popularity soared. Little of their output has stood the test of time. Not in the same league as Pulp and Suede.

And even as solo artists, Liam and Noel are still soaring.

Have you ever travelled, and experienced other cultures? Genuine question. You often sound so fearful and ignorant, as though you live in your mothers basement, and only read the Daily hate Mail.
Priceless: idiot responds to several posts exclusively about NME content by saying it sounds like a contributor only reads The Daily Mail.

Back
Top Bottom