Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

Hey Gregor, c’mon and just ‘stop being so rock and roll all the time’. :lbf:
Don’t you know I’ve tried! I can’t! I just can’t, man!

baz.png

I spoke to my lad today: he’s doing Anglo-Irish history. I’ve told him to drop this in an essay:

The only sorrow of the Brighton bombing is that Thatcher escaped unscathed.

That’s why I can’t let go. Ever.

I don't think many on here share your assessment of Karen's argument, goinghome, but you are entitled to your opinion. I think the general consensus is that Karen is well meaning and her heart is in the right place - but that, at best, she sees the world through rose tinted glasses and, at worst, is verging on delusional, with a penchant for mental gymnastics. And I think posts like that by Mike Rourke above deserve a more coherent response.
Karen is correct that Boy George has previously circumscribed his praise for Moz with aversion to some of his views. So, for example, in this NME article: I still love Morrissey and The Smiths even though I don’t love what he’s saying at the moment, but I put that into grumpy old man category.
Gordy talked about 3 judges. I would suggest there are 3 possibilities:
1. Moz didn't realise AMW and FB were 'far right' and 'fascist'. He merely supported them because they want to ban religious slaughter. He didn't take the time to read any of their other policies. He was duped. This would appear to be Karen's argument. And if he waits long enough, Karen argues, people will just forget and move on. No apology or retraction needed for such egregious stupidity on Moz's part.
2. Moz supported AMW and FB because he is 'far right' He liked their stance on banning religious slaughter but did take the time to read their other policies and thought their 'far right' and 'fascist' polices were great. This would appear to be Skinny's argument. So we should all burn our Morrissey albums and move on from liking him.
3. Moz didn't think AMW and FB were 'far right'. He liked their stance on banning religious slaughter, yes, but did take the time to read their other policies and didn't think they were 'far right' or 'extreme'. He thinks that the media describing them as 'far right' is just another example of the media telling us lies. AMW and FB might have had some views that were 'controversial' or 'problematic' in these woke times, but Moz has always been a bit 'controversial' and 'problematic' himself. And Moz is entitled to his views, even if you don't share them. Like wanting to send Margaret Thatcher to the guillotine. Yep, clearly far right.
I think most people think option 3, and think that Moz is entitled to his views and opinions, whether you agree with them or not, and whether or not you agree with anything AMW or FB ever said. That would seem to be Boy George's opinion too from the quote above. Most sane people don't believe anything they are told by the media.
But as Karen might put it, you pays your money and you takes your choice...

Another slimy post about your own politics - your focus is on the religion, not his.

An apology would have been quicker - but ceasing to mention her or the party while continuing to promote PETA is a longer way of showing that he made a mistake & has moved on.

Yes, I was right about Boy George - I check things.

Another slimy post about your own politics - your focus is on the religion, not his.

An apology would have been quicker - but ceasing to mention her or the party while continuing to promote PETA is a longer way of showing that he made a mistake & has moved on.

Yes, I was right about Boy George - I check things.'
So you think he should apologise? You think he is stupid and 'made a mistake'?
AMW is a vegan. FB wanted to ban religious slaughter. How is Moz supporting PETA evidence that he has 'moved on'?

So you think he should apologise? You think he is stupid and 'made a mistake'?
AMW is a vegan. FB wanted to ban religious slaughter. How is Moz supporting PETA evidence that he has 'moved on'?

That's a repulsive way of framing it - if he made a mistake he's stupid & must apologise - so he's got to feel stupid & word things in a way you'll accept.

He could have kept promoting AMW & the now defunct FB the way you do. He didn't.

But he is promoting PETA, so he hasn't given up on animals.

Central & the "fans" who encourage its posts about "views" are his biggest career problem right now.

That's a repulsive way of framing it - if he made a mistake he's stupid & must apologise - so he's got to feel stupid & word things in a way you'll accept.

He could have kept promoting AMW & the now defunct FB the way you do. He didn't.

But he is promoting PETA, so he hasn't given up on animals.

Central & the "fans" who encourage its posts about "views" are his biggest career problem right now.
You're the one who said he 'made a mistake' and didn't 'understand' what he was doing when he voiced support. That sounds like saying he is not intelligent enough to see through them.
I have never promoted AMW or FB. I have never supported them. Unlike Morrissey.
The Simpsons portrayed him as 'far right'. The media barely mention Moz these days without putting him in the same category as Gary Glitter and Michael Jackson. It's the painting of Moz as 'far right' and 'extreme' that is abhorrent. Moz is a just a man with a point of view and an opinion on things. But I realise that is not allowed in these woke times.

You're the one who said he 'made a mistake' and didn't 'understand' what he was doing when he voiced support. That sounds like saying he is not intelligent enough to see through them.
I have never promoted AMW or FB. I have never supported them. Unlike Morrissey.
The Simpsons portrayed him as 'far right'. The media barely mention Moz these days without putting him in the same category as Gary Glitter and Michael Jackson. It's the painting of Moz as 'far right' and 'extreme' that is abhorrent. Moz is a just a man with a point of view and an opinion on things. But I realise that is not allowed in these woke times.

Anyone can make a mistake.

You are still mentioning a woman & a party that Morrissey hasn't mentioned for 3 years.

This your politics. Again.

Probably hoping Central will blame the "woke" & think they're just posting "opinions" that anyone can hold & that celebrity fluff is a sign it's ok.

Anyone can make a mistake.

You are still mentioning a woman & a party that Morrissey hasn't mentioned for 3 years.

This your politics. Again.

Probably hoping Central will blame the "woke" & think they're just posting "opinions" that anyone can hold & that celebrity fluff is a sign it's ok.
Not sure if I followed all of that.
I would imagine he doesn't mention them because they were a bit of a damp squib. They are no more. They are a dead parrot.
There is actually quite a lot we agree on, Karen. We agree that Moz isn't 'far right'. We agree that anyone who paints him as such is either lying or ill-informed. We agree that Moz would never (knowingly) support a person or a cause that was 'far right'. We agree that Moz, both in his lyrics and in his interviews and statements, takes a stance that is critical of the status quo and global capitalism, especially around mass food production and factory farming.
What we disagree on is whether he thinks his previous support was a 'mistake' or not and whether he thinks he did not understand what he was supporting. I guess we'll have to agree to differ on that one. I think Moz is cleverer than that. Clearly one mistake he did make, however, was thinking they had any chance of picking up any votes at elections and breaking through the 2-party system. That was definitely a mistake on his part.

Not sure if I followed all of that.
I would imagine he doesn't mention them because they were a bit of a damp squib. They are no more. They are a dead parrot.
There is actually quite a lot we agree on, Karen. We agree that Moz isn't 'far right'. We agree that anyone who paints him as such is either lying or ill-informed. We agree that Moz would never (knowingly) support a person or a cause that was 'far right'. We agree that Moz, both in his lyrics and in his interviews and statements, takes a stance that is critical of the status quo and global capitalism, especially around mass food production and factory farming.
What we disagree on is whether he thinks his previous support was a 'mistake' or not and whether he thinks he did not understand what he was supporting. I guess we'll have to agree to differ on that one. I think Moz is cleverer than that. Clearly one mistake he did make, however, was thinking they had any chance of picking up any votes at elections and breaking through the 2-party system. That was definitely a mistake on his part.

Oh, you think he's not clever enough to spot the mistake you think he made.

He stopped mentioning them directly after Pingate - so it wasn't their failure.

Oh, you think he's not clever enough to spot the mistake you think he made.

He stopped mentioning them directly after Pingate - so it wasn't their failure.
I don't think Moz made a mistake. Moz is a clever guy. Moz doesn't think he made a mistake. He referred very clearly to the issue in the Q&A with his nephew in July 2021. No sign in that interview that he thinks he 'made a mistake' or 'didn't understand'. Just a sense of resignation and pessimism that nothing has changed in British politics, and that he was attacked because he had 'hit on something':

SAM:
The UK is very inhospitable now, and you were viciously attacked for your political comments two or three years ago. Where do you stand now?
M:
I still haven’t ever voted for a political party in my entire life, and my interest has curdled recently because, well, I was only attacked a couple of years ago because I had actually hit on something. If you talk dribble the press will not print your dribble. They might print a lengthy article on why I should be ignored, but by writing the article in the first place they show their own inability to ignore me! [laughs] Politically, Britain is now a spectacular failure, but I’m perfectly reconciled to the fact that the people will always revomit the same old parties into power. I’m not interested. A harmony of all interests isn’t possible, anyway, not in music or politics or in society. In the first place we always seem to be lumbered with a Prime Minister who, once elected, will not ever represent the wishes of the electorate. There really is nothing to believe in.

“There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.“ That song is still an inspiration to all of us in the LGBTQ community. It means even more after the senseless incident at The Q Club on Saturday night. These fellow human beings did nothing to harm any one, yet they were harmed terribly for simply being themselves, for being LGBTQ.
Yes, Oscar Wilde was one of us, James Baldwin as well and countless others too, some we hold very dear to our hearts. Maybe a mention of this incident can be made for World Peace is Absolutely Our Business. The very best to all of us who look fondly upon Peace, Love and Understanding. Oh ya…Hi Morrissey !

Back
Top Bottom