Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

Pardon me for posting before my first cup of coffee had fully kicked in.

Everyone loves an internet spelling/grammar cop, you know. Glad I was able to provide you with the highlight of your day.
You can only spell correctly if you’re off your tits on coffee?

He seems very hurt by it though. He doesn't use it to sell albums to the right. He reacts like a snowflake, and won't talk to the press because they make him feel unsafe. He actually uses the word safe about being in the studio away from the media.

He does tug at people's heart strings because he sings songs of loneliness and self-hatred, and at his best it's one of the purest expressions of emotion you'll hear in music. The people who want Nazism are going to be sorely disappointed. Even wee Travis had to keep posting Mr Bond.

But because he hates the media so much - I think it's likely - if nothing is done - that whoever decided to post Black Pigeon (and it might be Morrissey himself) effectively just ended his career.
I’m in negotiations to start a record label with Roy Chubby Brown and we’re going to present him with a very attractive package. 23 dates on Blackpool Pier.

I’m in negotiations to start a record label with Roy Chubby Brown and we’re going to present him with a very attractive package. 23 dates on Blackpool Pier.

It must be a hoax Roy Chubby Brown cos I'm the REAL Roy Chubby Brown! Mind you, I'm up for a month at Blackpool.

PS I'm fond of attractive packages! Oo er

Sure, if you focus on commercial pop and indie rock you’ll be gravely disappointed. However, there are plenty of brilliant artists and songwriters in modern alternative country (Benjamin Tod, Colter Wall, Cody Jinks, for a start), in dark ambient (Shrine, Alphaxone, Atrium Carceri…), post punk and related genres (Rome, Boy Harsher, Angel De La Guarda). Widen your horizons!
I bet you own a cowboy hat.

Now I kind of wish I did.
FC83C325-8145-4488-B27D-2A3EF7624BEE.jpeg

Wet Leg is one of the worst bands I've heard in a long time, but I tend not to like industry plants. My 'borntoharangue' account gave their song Chaise Longue 1.5 stars out of 5 or 4.3/10 on rateyourmusic back in May. That might not seem like a terrible rating for "one of the worst bands I've heard in a long time" but I was being charitable. I mean, my rating for Low In High School is 2.5 stars out of 5 or 5.7/10 and that's easily Morrissey's worst album. I'm just too nice! I was going to post here recently something along the lines of "how did Wet Leg get so popular and who the f*** is even listening to them?" so it figures that Baz would be a fan of theirs. I only heard them because at the end of last year I tried to listen to new music from year-end lists; I didn't stick with it for long and these were my ratings of what I heard before I lost interest:

3.5 stars (7.0-7.9)
Arooj Aftab - "Last Night" 7.6
Lana Del Rey - "Arcadia" 7.0

3 stars (6.0-6.9)
Kanye West - Off the Grid 6.9 (I might bump this up to a 7)
Kanye West ft. Andre 3000 - "Life of the Party" 6.8
Jazmine Sullivan– "Pick Up Your Feelings" 6.7
Mitski - "Working For the Knife" 6.4
Snoh Aalegra - "Neon Peach" 6.4
Japanese Breakfast – "Be Sweet" 6.4
SZA – "Good Days" 6.3
Lana Del Rey – "Chemtrails Over the Country Club" 6.3
Snoh Aalegra – "We Don't Have To Talk About It" 6.3
Doss - "Strawberry" 6.3
Caroline Polachek – "Bunny Is A Rider" 6.2
Burial – "Dark Gethsemane" 6.2
Doja Cat ft. SZA – "Kiss Me More" 6.1
Dry Cleaning – "Scratchcard Lanyard" 6.1
Yves Tumor - "Jackie" 6.1
Lana Del Rey - "White Dress" 6.0
illuminati hotties – "MMMOOOAAAAAYAYA" 6
black midi – "John L" 6

2.5 stars (5.5-5.9)
Magdalena Bay - "You Lose!" 5.9
Bartees Strange - "Weights" 5.9
Cassandra Jenkins – "Hard Drive" 5.8
Little Simz - "Introvert" 5.8
Saweetie ft. Doja Cat – "Best Friend" 5.7

2 stars (5.0-5.4)
Megan Thee Stallion - "Thot Shit" - 5.4
Charli XCX - "Good Ones" - 5.3
Doja Cat – "Get Into It (Yuh)" 5.2
Chloe Bailey - "Have Mercy" - 5.1
City Girls - "Twerkulator" 5 (I was going to rate this in the 4s but it made me laugh when the Afrika Bambaataa sample came in so at least it was good for something)

1.5 stars (4.0-4.9)
Monaleo - "Beatin Down Yo Block" - 4.6
Pinkpantheress - "Just For Me" 4.5
Wet Leg - "Chaise Longue" 4.3
Muna - "Silk Chiffon" 4.1

1 star (3.0-3.9)
The Anxiety - "Meet Me at Our Spot" 3.7 (studio version)

0.5 stars (under 3.0)
Central Cee - "Obsessed With You" 2.8
Maybe I'm an old fart now, but "new" music doesn't seem to have much substance/soul. Yeah, shoot me down if you wish but that's how I feel. Magazines like mojo or uncut giving nearly every new album release high ratings is plain stupid and, in my view, unrealistic...and people believe these reviews. Even bands/artists I once loved are now continuously releasing tedious stuff, Nick Cave for one, and this output is praised! Maybe that's just what happens as one gets older. Oh well...

Maybe I'm an old fart now, but "new" music doesn't seem to have much substance/soul. Yeah, shoot me down if you wish but that's how I feel. Magazines like mojo or uncut giving nearly every new album release high ratings is plain stupid and, in my view, unrealistic...and people believe these reviews. Even bands/artists I once loved are now continuously releasing tedious stuff, Nick Cave for one, and this output is praised! Maybe that's just what happens as one gets older. Oh well...
i havent heard anything even approaching tedious from nick cave. morrissey on the other hand....

View attachment 83212

Update:
Now a Central post.
FWD.

From the above:

"Consequently, there has never been a time when people so desperately need a true projection of how life really is."

So my question is, has Morrissey ever mentioned if he likes Charles Bukowski?

Nobody has ever written about how life truly is the way Bukowski did.

Much of modern life has no soul so it makes sense for the music to reflect that. I used to see people complaining about modern art, particularly brutalism, but I think it perfectly symbolises the situation in which we find ourselves. I'd rather see the emptiness and dissolution in modern music and art because it's true to life. Soaring symphonies and heartfelt ballads and majestic architecture would feel out of place; give me WAP or Pressurelicious because at least I know when I listen to them I'm not being lied to, or lying to myself. I can just nod my head and think "yup, this is 2022 all right, awful just like everything else". You might call it defeatism but I call it accepting reality instead of pining for something that doesn't exist. I could sit here saying "where are our modern Beach Boys, where's the next Smiths?". They're not coming. WAP and Wet Leg, that's it. That's all we're getting, and sorry to say it's all we deserve. But at least we can listen to this music safe in the knowledge that it's honestly reflective of the time period we're living through
(caused largely by the greed and complacency of the previous couple of generations before mine). Megan Thee Stallion is part of the Boomer and Generation X legacy. My generation didn't create the milieu which allows her to thrive. She's one of the consequences of their bad decision making, enjoy:

i havent heard anything even approaching tedious from nick cave. morrissey on the other hand....
Ghosteen, Carnage, Seven Psalms... Dull! I couldn't listen to them more than twice. I quite liked L.I.T.A.N.I.E.S though. Just prefer the older stuff, that's all. Maybe one day I'll come to appreciate the aforementioned albums, but they do nothing for me at the minute

Thank you for the grammar correction. And you are thick as shit too! 😉
No, it’s really you. You can’t spell, and you frequent a fan site dedicated to a singer who you think ‘sucks’. Your thickness is baffling.

Back
Top Bottom