NY Dolls new album

Lazarus

Out now, for those interested.
I personnally didn't even know they were reforming & what the line-up is.

Lazarus said:
Out now, for those interested.
I personnally didn't even know they were reforming & what the line-up is.

?

Didn't they already reform in 2004 - They made an cd from a live performance back then.

Only 2 original members are left

Maid@ Vale Lover said:
?

Didn't they already reform in 2004 - They made an cd from a live performance back then.

Only 2 original members are left

They have a new album out...a studio one...their first in 32 years, am i right?

it's not my cuppa and i doubt it's mozzers, i could be wrong though :rolleyes:

I picked it up today. It's been getting reasonably praiseworthy reviews.

I'm really liking it! Doesn't profess to be anything revolutionary, it's just a new album. Takes a few spins to unleash itself fully into your bloodstream, but I'm liking it a lot. Marvellous fun.

I wish they'd hurry up and get 'Too Much Too Soon' back on the shelves. This is annoying me >(.

It's got some good reviews, but I don't really see why. It's hardly the Dolls, it's not even Hanoi Rocks. As much as I want to like it, I am having a hard time.

Godlovesugly said:
They have a new album out...a studio one...their first in 32 years, am i right?

it's not my cuppa and i doubt it's mozzers, i could be wrong though :rolleyes:

?

Strange if You are asking that way and did know that fact. I also happened to know it was a studio and not a live this time. But on your answer it could as well have been 2004 (togethernes)

Why then ask this way ?

good site, the one I mentioned.
A Dutch site, and from time to time it changes and newest albums get online so you get to listen to them for a week or so (it's legal!!)

The whole thing is also up for streaming on NME.com, if you are so inclined. I listened to a track or two just to make sure it wasn't complete rubbish then rushed out and bought.

Maid@ Vale Lover said:
?

Strange if You are asking that way and did know that fact. I also happened to know it was a studio and not a live this time. But on your answer it could as well have been 2004 (togethernes)

Why then ask this way ?

Because i can never understand you or what you are getting at. :confused:

wolve said:
good site, the one I mentioned.
A Dutch site, and from time to time it changes and newest albums get online so you get to listen to them for a week or so (it's legal!!)

Yes hell of a good site - But I only knew the live shows part.

Didn't know they posted that/some material as that as well

So thank You - Good files there - Very good

Last edited:
Maid@ Vale Lover said:
? Same here if I read from the start of Your posting in this thread

You put question marks at the start of your sentences....it makes me feel queazy :(
Are you not from the UK my dear?

Godlovesugly said:
You put question marks at the start of your sentences....it makes me feel queazy :(
Are you not from the UK my dear?

No sorry should I be

If I was (Midge Ure sang that) - Then I probably would be more into Your language

Maid@ Vale Lover said:
No sorry should I be

If I was (Midge Ure sang that) - Then I probably would be more into Your language

Probably why i have trouble understanding you, sorry my old china no offence or anything..i'm easily confused. :o

Godlovesugly said:
Probably why i have trouble understanding you, sorry my old china no offence or anything..i'm easily confused. :o

ach so ich verstehe Dich
I'll understand You
comprende
I så fald forstår jeg også Dig - Jeg tilgiver (I'll forgive)

They did reform in 2004

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,3700499,00.html

one day it will please us to remember even this (cd/dvd) - album reviews
You have Morrissey to thank -- or blame. When Moz cajoled the remaining members of the New York Dolls into participating in a reunion at a festival he was arranging in 2004, he helped ignite a resurgence of interest in a band that went somewhat underappreciated during their heyday in the '70s, but have since been credited as grandfathers of both punk rock and glam rock—the former because of attitude and music, the latter because of attitude and fashion. After a well-received reunion show, a few documentaries followed, as did another death in the family (bassist Arthur "Killer" Kane).

Now the Dolls are back -- at least flamboyant frontman David Johansen (better known to younger fans as his kitsch pop alter-ego, Buster Poindexter) and guitarist Sylvain Sylvain are back. They've been joined by Hanoi Rocks bassist Sami Yaffa, guitarist Steve Conte, drummer Brian Delaney, and keyboardist Brian Koonin. The replacement parts are serviceable, but can't help but lessen the impact. Michael Stipe lends distinctive backing vocals to one song ("Dancing on the Lip of a Volcano"), but the other guest appearances, promising on paper, are largely squandered, with Iggy Pop and Against Me!'s Tom Gabel not leaving much of an impression.

One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This often lives up to the meager ambition and determined high spirits that its title loudly advertises. It's a likeable, chug-a-lugging barroom rocker, still defiant in lyrical tone, but tempered with mortality and wistful memories. In their prime, the Dolls could really raise some eyebrows, a fact that was confirmed for a younger generation by footage in their recent documentaries. Take that act on the road today and it would still cause plenty of parents to blanch, no question about it. But now they sound, more safely, like kindred spirits to Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones. While Johansen still declares his allegiance to "Fishnets & Cigarettes" on the song of the same title, that shtick now feels cutesy and maybe even obligatory. To their credit, it isn't all irreverence and happy nostalgia; Johansen sticks two battle-scarred songs called "Punishing World" and "Maimed Happiness" at the center of the album. - Adam McKibbin, The Red Alert

Back
Top Bottom