NPR's "50 Great Voices" Nominations

There's more to a great singer than technical prowess; there's the ability to touch people's hearts, and express emotion. I think Morrissey does that better than anyone.

I also voted for Louis Armstrong in this poll. Listen to Satchmo - his voice is pure gravel, but he recreated music in his own image. He was one of the greatest artists in American history.

I nearly voted for Fred Astaire as well. He had a somewhat thin, wavery voice, but he set the bar for a kind of classiness that no longer exists. A lot of people credit him with helping people cope during the Great Depression. I know that I can't be sad when I hear him sing; he's just got that certain something that singers with much greater ranges can't touch.

Fred Astaire made a great recording of Cole Porter's "I Concentrate on You" that is astonishingly beautiful. He is totally overlooked as a singer (and he didn't have a beautiful voice by any means) but I'm voting for him.

I can listen to Fred Astaire all day, such an expressive, beautiful singing voice which is why he got my vote, the others, well, Bowie has such an unique voice, Garland for her emotion, Sam Cook's voice is tender, sweet but powerful and then we have Morrissey.:thumb:

Morrissey! Jeff Buckey (I have a big soft spot for him. He's from my city), Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, and Asha Bhosle (I dunno much about her, but such pretty Indian music)

Well we know for sure that Sinatra didn't make the list :confused:
Nor did K.D. Lang or Josh Groban....meh.....

BUT we still don't know who made the list, exactly.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122693575

On one hand, it's good that they are focusing on artists who are not mainstream. This article says that they left K.D. Lang off to focus instead on Kitty Wells, the first woman in country music. Ok, so I think, Hey! Who inspired the majority of indie / alterna bands today? Who was the starting point, the unique original voice behind so many of the bands we hear today? That would be MORRISSEY.

If they leave, say, Jeff Buckley in (I see his photo on this page, I don't know if that's a clue), but then leave Moz out, this list will be meaningless because Moz directly influenced Jeff Buckley's sound and it means they gave Buckley the sympathy vote 'cause he's dead. I like Jeff Buckley, but he does not deserve to be there over Moz. Morrissey has contributed far more in the creation of the genre that Buckley worked in.

I'm preparing for disappointment. But maybe, just this once, a group of people can get it right? Just once? My only mistake is I'm hoping.....

BAH! Someone on Facebook says he has seen the list and Moz isn't on it.

grrrrrrrrrr.

:tears:

GRRRRRRRRRRR

I hate the world

*There's still hope, see below.

Last edited:
BAH! Someone on Facebook says he has seen the list and Moz isn't on it.

grrrrrrrrrr.

:tears:

GRRRRRRRRRRR

I hate the world

well, it is an NPR list :straightface:, there were probably "politically correct" considerations to be taken into account :cool:
so possibly his name was struck from the list :eek:
since our Moz is not PC in many idiots eyes :crazy:
so yeah, I would not be surprised if he did not make "their list" :rolleyes:

well, it is an NPR list :straightface:, there were probably "politically correct" considerations to be taken into account :cool:
so possibly his name was struck from the list :eek:
since our Moz is not PC in many idiots eyes :crazy:
so yeah, I would not be surprised if he did not make "their list" :rolleyes:

What fools they are.
I can't wait to see who did make the list.
I'll bet they're all very...bland.

EDIT - My source gave me a link to the NPR website that doesn't list the winners, but he swears they were there before. So someone either posted the results before they were supposed to and quickly pulled them, or my Facebook source read the link wrong. For such a pessimist I'm still an optimist. I'm hopeless, really. *please be wrong*

Last edited:
This week's Greatest Voice (#5) is:

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan: The Voice Of Pakistan
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123973589

They've also added a "Guess next week's voice" feature to the main page.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122287224

Next week will not feature Morrissey, unless he has suddenly turned into a female singing about Hare Krishna - beautifully, nonetheless ;)

Thanks for putting these up by week.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - amazing voice. (One of my votes.)
The notes at the site a good read too.

Back
Top Bottom