NPR's "50 Great Voices" Nominations

Have you heard Dylan's new Christmas album?

No, but I think I'd like to. I'm on a hesitant-to-explore-new-music-for-stupid-symbolic-reasons kick which I can't wait to break.

I did:
Morrissey, Elvis, Sinatra, Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison.

Last edited:
I'm pretty disappointed Kate Smith didn't make it into the top 100...she was incredible

I'm actually shocked that a lot of people didn't make the top 100 who I thought would be shoe-ins.

I'm actually shocked that a lot of people didn't make the top 100 who I thought would be shoe-ins.

My guess is that since this is a "moderated" poll, i.e., the NPR "judges" have the final say regardless of who we vote for, they'll slip in some surprises in the final 50. I like their choices so far, though....

The news is up on TTY now, too!
http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_091110_01

Morrissey is one of the singers shortlisted in the poll for NPR's 50 Great Voices; voting is now open

"10 November 2009

Morrissey is one of the 126 singers shortlisted in the poll for the National Public Radio series 50 Great Voices.

According to the description on the NPR website, the series will be an "exploration of 50 great voices in recorded history." NPR received thousands of nominations from the public and compiled the shortlist with the help of a panel of experts.

Voting is now open for the 50 great voices to be highlighted in the series.

Please visit www.npr.org/greatvoices for details of how to vote for Morrissey."

Go vote!!!!

With all due respect....if it's about great voices, I don't see how Morrissey ranks in the Top 50. Would you try and explain to the NPR audience why you think so if they had just played the audio of, say, the painfully out of tune "Live In Dallas" concert video?

Morrissey is a fine lyricist and has many great songs, and I like his voice, but he's not one of the Top 50 voices. Try and be more objective here, folks.

With all due respect....if it's about great voices, I don't see how Morrissey ranks in the Top 50. Would you try and explain to the NPR audience why you think so if they had just played the audio of, say, the painfully out of tune "Live In Dallas" concert video?

Morrissey is a fine lyricist and has many great songs, and I like his voice, but he's not one of the Top 50 voices. Try and be more objective here, folks.

There's more to a great singer than technical prowess; there's the ability to touch people's hearts, and express emotion. I think Morrissey does that better than anyone.

I also voted for Louis Armstrong in this poll. Listen to Satchmo - his voice is pure gravel, but he recreated music in his own image. He was one of the greatest artists in American history.

I nearly voted for Fred Astaire as well. He had a somewhat thin, wavery voice, but he set the bar for a kind of classiness that no longer exists. A lot of people credit him with helping people cope during the Great Depression. I know that I can't be sad when I hear him sing; he's just got that certain something that singers with much greater ranges can't touch.

Agree whole heartedly :)

There's more to a great singer than technical prowess; there's the ability to touch people's hearts, and express emotion. I think Morrissey does that better than anyone.

I also voted for Louis Armstrong in this poll. Listen to Satchmo - his voice is pure gravel, but he recreated music in his own image. He was one of the greatest artists in American history.

I nearly voted for Fred Astaire as well. He had a somewhat thin, wavery voice, but he set the bar for a kind of classiness that no longer exists. A lot of people credit him with helping people cope during the Great Depression. I know that I can't be sad when I hear him sing; he's just got that certain something that singers with much greater ranges can't touch.

Well said. I gave one of my votes to Billie Holiday; her voice was a strange little instrument but hugely expressive and affecting.

Last edited:
Morrissey, Nina Simone, Elvis Presley, Oumou Sangare, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

Each in their own field, in their own way, for their own purpose.

Well said. I gave one of my votes to Billie Holiday; her voice was a strange little instrument but hugely expressive and affecting.

My vote was:

Morrissey, Edith Piaf, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong and David Bowie.

I wavered a bit with Bowie; I love his voice, but I was really voting for the whole persona. With a great vocalist you can't separate the public image from the voice, and Bowie is one of the greats.

Billie Holiday is still the most influential female singer I can think of. So many new bands I know have female singers who all start out emulating Billie, until they find their own voice. I listen to her almost every day.

What I don't understand is Nellie Melba. She retired in 1928, and most of her recordings were done at the turn of the 20th century, on what I assume were Edison wax cylinders.

I know what she sounded like, but I can't imagine that she has such a wide following that she would end up in this poll. Reportedly, she actually did have a technically flawless voice.

From Morrissey's myspace :
In January 2010, the prestigious US public radio network NPR will launch a year-long exploration of 50 great voices in recorded history.

They've received thousands of suggestions from listeners and Morrissey is included amongst the legends of recording history in the 100-strong shortlist.

Your task now is to help Morrissey make the top 50: click here to visit NPR's 50 Great Voices website, listen to the audio clips and vote.

I think they liked your idea, Julie.

I voted for:

Freddie Mercury
Janis Joplin
Morrissey
Robert Plant
David Bowie

Back
Top Bottom