"Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12, 2013 reminder / reports

Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths - The Culture Show, BBC 2

Sun 12 May 2013
23:00
DURATION: 30 MINUTES (stream on iPlayer through May 19, region restricted)

UPDATE May 13:

MP4 format download provided in the Downloads forum by 6084615.

It's 30 years since Manchester four-piece The Smiths changed the face of British pop with their debut single Hand In Glove. In this half-hour Culture Show special, fellow Mancunian and lifelong fan Tim Samuels sets out to find out why The Smiths have such a special place in the hearts of a generation of Brits. The Smiths were only around for five years in the mid-eighties, but to this day the sentiment their music evokes is strong. Samuels pays visits to a variety of dedicated fans including fashion designer Wayne Hemingway, poet Simon Armitage, Labour MP Kerry McCarthy and Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher to analyse the look, the lyrics, the issues and the riffs that made The Smiths Britain's first, and arguably best ever, indie rock band.

Related item:

Last edited:
Re: Article: "Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12

Good so far - No on has said "Their music helped me through some really difficult times" yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Good so far - No on has said "Their music helped me through some really difficult times" yet.

Re: Article: "Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12

Felt a pang of sadness at one of the last clips of Morrissey & Marr on stage sharing a few private words - such a shame these once close friends seemingly have no relationship at all any more bar the odd email every other year.

- - - Updated - - -

Phew :drama:

Aw that was a great documentary! Really enjoyed it.

What a sycophantic comment.

I appreciate that BBC gave an opportunity and good to see Jo Slee, but it isn't great.

If it had more unseen archive footage, it would be great.

What a sycophantic comment.

I appreciate that BBC gave an opportunity and good to see Jo Slee, but it isn't great.

If it had more unseen archive footage, it would be great.

Sycophantic? To whom exactly?

It was an ok documentary which fortituously didn't feature Mike Joyce. Unfortuantely the promotion of The Smiths as the ultimate in rebellious coolness continues unabated. I'm pretty sure when I was a teenage fan most of my contemporaries thought they were a byword for depressing. (Although they've changed their tune since, probably due in no small part to programmes like this instructing them how 'cool' they were)

And in a nod to pedant's corner Tizer never featured in a Smiths song.

No change here then, just people tearing each other apart. And?

Quite sure I am the only one or at least one of few at Solo that was in Manchester the day that The Smiths made their debut. Some fans are better than others.

Quite sure I am the only one or at least one of few at Solo that was in Manchester the day that The Smiths made their debut. Some fans are better than others.

Oh god, it's a professional Northerner

Truly dissapointed, lots of the Southbank show was used , concerning Morrissey's opinion and comments, they were from that show,
Noel Gallagher who about the only one who said how influential Marr;s past in the Smiths was, and one of the top guitarpayers,
bit bored by Hazlewood with his piano notes, comparing to Smiths rythm,

Well the the whole was more we all know, indeed Jo Slee about the covers and why Morrissey wanted to use it, that was for me the most interesting part, talking about what and why, bit USA were they were seen as a cult

I taped it, just seen it for the first time, but nothing new though the images in and how Manchester was in those days interacted during the documantary was well done

Next please

Last edited:

Felt a pang of sadness at one of the last clips of Morrissey & Marr on stage sharing a few private words - such a shame these once close friends seemingly have no relationship at all any more bar the odd email every other year.

100% agree. They always tug at my heart strings.

I actually think it has been a really good thing. You have seen what Mozzer has done within the past couple of years to his solo works, correct?

If Moz And Marr were chums, "Smiths Complete" would've been shredded; tracks re-ordered, tracks erased, Joyce's parts re-recorded, etc.

Truly dissapointed, lots of the Southbank show was used , concerning Morrissey's opinion and comments, they were from that show,
Noel Gallagher who about the only one who said how influential Marr;s past in the Smiths was, and one of the top guitarpayers,
bit bored by Hazlewood with his piano notes, comparing to Smiths rythm,

Well the the whole was more we all know, indeed Jo Slee about the covers and why Morrissey wanted to use it, that was for me the most interesting part, talking about what and why, bit USA were they were seen as a cult

I taped it, just seen it for the first time, but nothing new though the images in and how Manchester was in those days interacted during the documantary was well done

Next please

Noel Knobhead you know what a mean ! I f***in told you so man, you know what am sayin !

L M A O

Aw that was a great documentary! Really enjoyed it.

It was great until they went to America, some would say like Moz himself....Then it got pretentious and stupid. Then you had to listen to bores talking about how they celebrate nostalgia, getting quiffs etc, last five minutes spoiled the show.

Sycophantic? To whom exactly?

It was an ok documentary which fortituously didn't feature Mike Joyce. Unfortuantely the promotion of The Smiths as the ultimate in rebellious coolness continues unabated. I'm pretty sure when I was a teenage fan most of my contemporaries thought they were a byword for depressing. (Although they've changed their tune since, probably due in no small part to programmes like this instructing them how 'cool' they were)

And in a nod to pedant's corner Tizer never featured in a Smiths song.

Aye, these days if you say you like The Smiths nothing gets said generally, in the 80's and 90's you'd have been subjected to the boring and miserable jibes - mostly thanks to people believing whatever they read in the press rather than using their own ears to judge.

I thought the show was ok, nothing more, I don't think we learnt anything new did we? Is there anything left to uncover?

A really informed and interesting documentary.

The composer hit the nail on the head when he broke apart the chords and made it resoundingly clear why we have fallen in love with Johnny's talent.

One of the clips I had never seen was the one where Morrissey and Johnny were laying on the sofa together, Johnny playing the guitar & Morrissey lounging with his legs up. They seem so at ease with each other, such a shame they don't have that relationship anymore.

Last edited:

I rushed home past some ruffians in the local park to watch this at 10 pm, only to find it was on at 11 pm....so, I legged back over to the local pub for a "Last orders" bevvy, to drown my disappointment, then came and settled down back at home with a few more drinks to watch it....Bollox to all you nay-sayers out there, it re-kindled MANY old memories of just exactly WHY the Smiths mattered so much to me in the first place, and ( although admittedly, nowadays, sounding very much OF their time) they still do. Surely, in THIS day and age of Auto-tuned identikit -Music-by-numbers SHITE, ANY decent music by ANY genuinely talented band is worthy of any airplay/exposure ??
Or shall we just settle down and watch whatever The dark Lord Cowell decides we should like for us ??

My love for Marr, Morrissey , Joyce and Rourke is still devout....I think some of the Gripers on here are just a tad envious that they were not around to witness the beautiful thing that they created first hand, unlike me, who was incredibly lucky to see them Live several times...I thought it was a very well made documentary, just wish it would have had More Live clips, instead of waffling about Quiffs, and Amy Lame's points of view concerning how the Smiths/Morrissey affected her were quite enlightening...I met a Canadian chap in Toronto in 1989, who also oved the Smiths/Morrissey, and was surprised that their "North west of England" style music and lyrics meant anything to him....we had a great few beers talking about that...I hope he gets to see this show sometime....Wherever I am, I bet I'm smiling now.....:):thumb:

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom