none

• Thread starter Arse of a pantomime horse
  • Start date
Re: Circles!

> things which remind us that we are only mortal...it roughly
> translates as 'remember that you must die'

I assume that's Latin. Why do we quote latin phrases so much? First of all, it's a dead language and spoken by nobody outside of a few Latin Club nerds in college. Second, you have to translate it into English for the latin challenged such as myself anyway...

> What else could I possibly add to that?! Except the hanging
> offense that is the retort to the expression of this observation
> - 'you're obvoulsy jealous' - The answer to which is: let me
> explain this to you AGAIN, because you seem to have missed to
> entire basis to my point!

No. I can say it with full confidence. This guy had taken his shirt off around me (more than once, actually) and everytime I was trying to hide this look of disgust on my face.

> I have impunity on my christmas list every year in bigger and
> bolder letters each time!

Re: Mea Culpa...My fault...

For not making myself clear about...

Oh god sorry, no, I mean't the girlfriends response - I am sure you speak as you find. The way you come across to me is a whole world away from the kind of girl to be daft about men and couple jealousy etc...

I was saying how even if you did point out the obvious, that
you can't even intellectualise with these people, even if you state your lack of any amorous desire for their snookums they will not compute this info correctly...Like you say they are insecure and have to convince themselves that not only are they 'exclusive' but everyone MUST want to be them or be with them!

Latin - it may be dead but I find it beautiful and the translations expressive. Plus it's the basis of the English language so I guess as well as the convoluted words some of the phrases have got thrown in to boot. Many of the phrases used today are 'from the latin'
and encorporated into english making them english...Plus they use it a lot in the law - I suppose to make it sound more grave?!

Re: Mea Culpa...My fault...

> For not making myself clear about...

> Oh god sorry, no, I mean't the girlfriends response - I am sure
> you speak as you find. The way you come across to me is a whole
> world away from the kind of girl to be daft about men and couple
> jealousy etc...

That's exactly what I speak of. You can't really explain to them why you find their boyfriend physically repulsive because to them, they've got the greatest guy on this planet and everyone wants to steal them away.

> I was saying how even if you did point out the obvious, that
> you can't even intellectualise with these people, even if you
> state your lack of any amorous desire for their snookums they
> will not compute this info correctly...Like you say they are
> insecure and have to convince themselves that not only are they
> 'exclusive' but everyone MUST want to be them or be with them!

That's when I start laughing.

For example, I was at a friend of a friend's house watching movies, and apparently this guy's roommates were sitting too close to his girlfriend for comfort. So when everyone was taking a break, he got on the couch with his girlfriend, stretched out, and said that I was allowed to have my spot back if I kept the other two guys away. This meant that somebody was left sitting on the floor. This dummy would rather be rude and make someone sit on the floor rather than let them be even 3 feet on either side of his girl. It was obvious to everyone else that neither one of those guys was interested in her like that. All I can say for proof was that more than one person had noticed one of those guys was checking somebody else out......

There's another couple I know who co-dependently cling to one another and they go insane if someone is talking to another person of the opposite sex (to the point where the guy squeezes her up against him and answers questions aimed at her for her and doesn't let her speak) and it's really sad.

> Latin - it may be dead but I find it beautiful and the
> translations expressive. Plus it's the basis of the English
> language so I guess as well as the convoluted words some of the
> phrases have got thrown in to boot. Many of the phrases used
> today are 'from the latin'
> and encorporated into english making them english...Plus they
> use it a lot in the law - I suppose to make it sound more
> grave?!

Just a carry over of when Latin was the language of the ruling class back in the day. Even to Renaissance times when the church conducted it's business in nothing but Latin, and the Church was the ruling class long after the Roman empire fell. Why not make yourself look holy and posh all at once and learn Latin? And, for example, you know why part of the reason why the Irish language died out like it did was because it was associated with the lower classes.

Back
Top Bottom