Non-english Moz/Smiths interviews/articles (some are translated, some not)

sistasheila

tjekket
I`ve some in japanese,german,dutch etc.most of them are translated now!1st one is a italian interview (not a tranlated one from a british mag-i assume by going through it) where english translation is needed for those who do not speak italian...
the french inrock articles are very intersting for example: our dear moz seems to trust the french journos quite well i have seen him make statements also personal ones there which he wouldnt do to british journos... like about his parents in 95, about a possible retirement in 93 and about a possible end of the smiths in 87
so it will be Iexc i frenchnterviews:86, 87 ,90.91,93,94,95(2 X) 2004, 2006..i did ask one or two;_) nice french members here who did post a request in the french forum...will be great to see.looking d forward...thanks again...
the ones in japanese :thowe who speaks japanese.,,please step forward;-) translation needed

the german ones:well that from 87 was a bit difficult(try to translate it but the interviewer has a weird way handling with words) but sometime...but i translated a few sentences from the 87 interview
edit:and the interview from 92 and the linder article on the 20th of july

.....but it would be interesting to have articles and interviews about moz and the smiths in here from foreign countries to see how the response amongst journos is outside the uk and the US.as we know there a quite a few british journos who dislike the moz..so feel free to post one and if you dont bother to translate thats fine..then just post them...

so.....articles live reviews album reviews interviews.
pleasejoin in: turkish swedish spanish,finnish,portugese,russian etc etc etc..please dont let the thread die!!!

here is the italian one.... eccelente...maybe you are able to translate it...or someone else....
itpic.jpg

italic.jpg

ita2.jpg

it3.jpg

it4.jpg

it5.jpg

Last edited:
Re: post your non-english mozarticles here(italian,french...-english translation need

jake.jpg
jake2.jpg

jap1.jpg

jap2.jpg

jap3.jpg

jap4.jpg

jap5.jpg

jap6.jpg

Re: post your non-english mozarticles here(italian,french...-english translation need

jap7.jpg

jap8.jpg

jap12.jpg

jap13.jpg

jap10.jpg

jap9.jpg

jappici.jpg

since i cant read japanese and since these are two different articles im not sure about the correct order i might have mixed them up..

Last edited:

magtitel.jpg

mag1.jpg

mag2.jpg

mag3.jpg

mag4.jpg

mag5.jpg

the interview with moz and mr diederichsen was conducted in the roughtrade office around the time when johnny was in l.a and it was unsure if the smiths still existed.a t that moment..

the other musicthemes in this mag are nornally off the rails of the mainstream /non-mainstream
the likes of mark e smith sonic youth le tigre and others were on the cover of this mag...if there are getting into more i mainstram themes like that terence darby guy more of a analytical, crictitical kind of way....

Last edited:

i have for example an excl. italian interview (not a tranlated one from a british mag)where englishtranslation is needed for those who do not speak italian...also a few in japanese (anyone speaks japanese here?) spanish and in german and else......but it woulsd be interesting to have i articles and interviews about moz and the smiths in here from foreign countries to see how the response amongst journos is outside the uk and the US.with articles live and album reviews interviews..as we know there a quite a few british journos who dislike the moz
here is the italian one.... eccelente...maybe you are able to translate it...or someone else....

italic.jpg

I'm not going to be much help here. I'm taking Italian right now and I'm halfway thru Italian II but here goes ... I was only able to translate the intro text on the left side.

"He found the sky in a room and the secrets of the world amid the pages of books. A complete picture of Morrissey, king without crown of Manchester, first citizen Smiths."

I think I got that right. Perhaps someone can verify.

Can I just post a couple of scans in Spanish and leave the translation for another time? I hate translating... but some of you might be interested in seeing these, I know some of us collect scanned notes...

Elpais9Mar08.jpg

(Uruguayan newspaper El Pais, March 9)

diapop13Dic86.jpg

SL279.jpg

(from El Dia Pop)

Last edited:

Thank you sistashiela and dicartwright, for the scans. Haven't a clue what it all means, as my first language is English, and I have VERY limited French knowledge..but it was still nice to see the scans (especially the pics...a couple of which were new to me :) ).
And thanks doney86 for your translation. I recongized the words Manchester, Morrissey and Smiths from that, so thanks for filling in the large gaps :D

Notice that in the first scan, at the end, it says All I need is you. SO-NOT-Morrissey :p

I'm not going to be much help here. I'm taking Italian right now and I'm halfway thru Italian II but here goes ... I was only able to translate the intro text on the left side.

"He found the sky in a room and the secrets of the world amid the pages of books. A complete picture of Morrissey, king without crown of Manchester, first citizen Smiths."

I think I got that right. Perhaps someone can verify.

Yes. It's so strange to read his words in Italian...

berlinneu.jpg
berlin2.jpg

berlinreview.jpg

franzmoz-1.jpg

all articles for non-profit use only

Last edited:

I read the Italian one (interesting as usual), not sure if I'm gonna translate it. If it's strange enough to read Morrissey's words in Italian, it would be even stranger to guess what he actually said in English...

Yes. It's so strange to read his words in Italian...

I read the Italian one (interesting as usual), not sure if I'm gonna translate it. If it's strange enough to read Morrissey's words in Italian, it would be even stranger to guess what he actually said in English...

Yesss! Well I'm glad I got that right. I would love to try to translate the rest ... will you be here this time next year? ;)
It's not easy learning a second language at my age. But having the desire to read something I'm keenly interested in keeps me intrigued and wanting to learn more.

Sure beats the weekly homework. :D

review.jpg

review2.jpg

ultimoplayboy.jpg

article.jpg

artikel.jpg

the interview with moz and mr diederichsen was conducted in the roughtrade office around the time when johnny was in l.a and it was unsure if the smiths still existed.a t that moment..

the other musicthemes in this mag are nornally off the rails of the mainstream
the likes of mark e smith sonic youth le tigre and others were on the cover of this mag...if there are getting into more i mainstram themes like that terence darby guy more of a analytical kind of way....
Reprinted WITHOUT PERMISSION for non-profit use only.
will delete it if mag demands ..

Thank you so much! Beautiful pics! (And mum knows a little German)

one article from
LAST NIGHT`S CONCERT IN MADRID SATURDAY NIGHT FIBER
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/madrid/Morrissey/De seado/elpepucul/20080720elpmad_5/Tes
Tthe link was posted on the mainpage first-Iif anybody got the time and energy TRANSLATING (some parts) of the SPANISH article .into english.That would be great

[
IN THE ATTACHENT THERE IS A PIC FROM THE SHOW

german interview from the year 1992 and an very nice article wrItten in 2006 :a poetic interpretation of his smiths lyrics-a very nice read
and also one INTERVIEW WITH LINDER WHO ALSO TALKED A BIT ON MOZ-HOW THEY MET ETC..I TRANSLATED THE BITS LINDER SAID ABOUT MORRISSEY and ONLY translated a few sentences from the 92 interview WITH MORRISSEY which took place in a paris hotel.
..sorry didnt have more time..and i apologize for the bad translation

mag92.jpg

mag92-2.jpg

some translations;:
quite funny the introduction; the journos, photographers and record company people hovering in front of mozzers door at the paris hotel where the interviews did take place...
"if you could ask monsieur morrissey if we can shot the pictures on the roof?only if it do not cause any inconvenience for him" one photgrapher whispered/aspirateted into morrissey`s manager`s ear.
the journo felt reminded of royal household clique or an imagation how hollywood divas in the 40 ties where treated....

then the interview:
he interviewer told him that his interest in moz has vanished a bit nowadays compared to his teenage years
moz replied: "its fine if certain records only has a meaning to you for a certain time period .they dont have to be so meaningful to you every time you play them
.if they were more worthy to you in the past then you shouldnt research on it, why, GOD DAMMIT, doesnt have that same effect to you nowadays..life goes on,people are developing further.."

last question :the interviewer asked him if he knows what the german voice at" i know its gonna happen someday" is saying

morrissey replied:""no, i just switched on a shortwave receiver late at night and recorded whatever came through, whatdid he say?"

interviewer:"the youth have to give new impulses ,not the old-established"
(note: he correct translation is :We should think about young people who are ready to try more new ideas than ... old ones

moz: "phew ! im glad that it is doent mean anything else. I can live with that."

now thts the article from 2006 where a journo interprets smiths lyrics how he sees them
( and no im not religious at all-refering to the jesus sticker on the top of the first site-
i had to put a sticker on it cause there was a huge stain on it that looked ugly and when i was looking d for a sticker to cover it this stickerwas all i found ;)
mag06.jpg

mag06-1.jpg

mag2-1.jpg

ma3.jpg

ma4.jpg

attachment pic from el pais 2008

Last edited:

part 2 of the 2006 article and the LINDER INTERVIEW

ma4.jpg

ma5.jpg

the linder article:
linder.jpg

linder2.jpg

linder was interviewed cause there was a retrospective on her at a museum in 2006
translation of the moz parts:

linder:" was happy to be surrounded by extraordinary people..but iT felt totally normal to me cause they were the only people i know just when we all took different roads in the early 80ties i realised that..some like morrissey did continue others like howard devoto did struggled more and had less discipline "

linder"I played morrissey the record "danger came smiling "(which is a pretty experimental record)
morrissey rolled his eyes on me ,put his face in his hands and sighed..
so i thought to myself"now i wanna do a brigitte bardot single" danger was an exorcism for me(..)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Came_Smiling
how did you met morrissey?
linder:"i met him in the fall of 1976 at the sex pistols concert which take place in the electric circus.tohnny thunders also played there, moz came because of him.that was really special to met some ne who was already at such a young age so fully distinctive/consummate(developed) and that without any audience."

then she talks a bit about what she liz naylor and cath carroll did and that she did wear a shirt made of raw meat for the hacienda opening where she put dior perfume on it to plaster the smell.
the interviewer replied that that scene is missing in the film 24 hour party people
linder;"I ve got the script at anvery early stage.morrissey and i were portrayed very strangely. moz was portrayed as a young gothic type and i was supposed to have sex with tony wilson in the back of a car.. i didnt have a lawywer back ten but that changed."

how did you come from music to photography?
linder:"i di make alot of pic in 76 on punk concerts,transvestite bars but in 77 my camera was stolen in an very violent assault. i did became superstitious and bought the next one in the year 1990. then morrissey asked me if i would like to shot his world tour.there it was again,the small step from the audience to the stage"

interviewer: you became legendary in morrisseys fan circles as his "one only" friend but outside your photgraphy work your other work are not too worthy too them..

linder: (laughs): "the friend that never left. thats okay i can leave with that.. i can work hidden, by the way:morrissey is the one that always pushes (induces?/insisted)me to sing again .im supposed to do a record for his label since 2 years now."

you should do that

linder: "yes ,barry adamson offered me a song that he had orginally wriiten for charlotte gainsbourg,maybe i should do that..."

Last edited:

Thank you sistasheila.

part 2 of the 2006 article and the LINDER INTERVIEW

ma4.jpg

ma5.jpg

the linder article:
linder.jpg

linder2.jpg

linder was interviewed cause there was a retrospective on her at a museum in 2006
translation of the moz parts:

linder:" was happy to be surrounded by extraordinary people..but iT felt totally normal to me cause they were the only people i know just when we all took different roads in the early 80ties i realised that..some like morrissey did continue others like howard devoto did struggled more and had less discipline "

linder"I played morrissey the record "danger came smiling "(which is a pretty experimental record)
morrissey rolled his eyes on me ,put his face in his hands and sighed..
so i thought to myself"now i wanna do a brigitte bardot single" danger was an exorcism for me(..)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Came_Smiling
how did you met morrissey?
linder:"i met him in the fall of 1976(?) at the sex pistols concert which take place in the electric circus.tohnny thunders also played there, moz came because of him.that was really special to met some ne who was already at such a young age so fully distinctive/consummate(developed) and that without any audience."

then she talks a bit about what she liz naylor and cath carroll did and that she did wear a shirt made of raw meat for the hacienda opening where she put dior perfume on it to plaster the smell.
the interviewer replied that that scene is missing in the film 24 hour party people
linder;"I ve got the script at anvery early stage.morrissey and i were portrayed very strangely. moz was portrayed as a young gothic type and i was supposed to have sex with tony wilson in the back of a car.. i didnt have a lawywer back ten but that changed."

how did you come from music to photography?
linder:"i di make alot of pic in 76 on punk concerts,trnasvestite bars but in 77 tthe camera was stolen in an very violent assault. i did became superstitious and bought the next one in the year 1990. then morrissey asked me if i would like to shot his world tour.there it was again,the small step drom the audience to the stage"

interviewer: you became legendary in morrisseys fan circles as his "one only" friend but outside your photgraphy work your other work are not too worthy too them..

linder: (laughs): "the friend that never left. thats okay i can leave with that.. i can work hidden, by the way:morrissey is the one that always pushes (induces?/insisted)me to sing again .im supposed to do a record for his label since 2 years now."

you should do that

linder: "yes ,barry adamson offered me a song that he had orginally wriiten for charlotte gainsbourg,maybe i should do that..."

Thank you for the Linder interview

Last edited:
morrissey? que bueno!

'having dinner with one of my friends last night i was informed that morrissey is huge in the latin community. i have to admit i was surprised at first, but the more we discussed it, it made sense.

well, i looked it up on the youtube just to confirm and sure enough it’s true. those high school spanish classes will come in handy for this interesting interesting report from telemundo.'

http://powerlinead.wordpress.com/2008/07/26/morrissey-que-bueno/

Somebody else can provide a translated transcript if they could and would.

Re: morrissey? que bueno!

well..this is the first time i visit this thread
and i have to say that you really dominate it sista..:D
and that's good..so go on..
a lot of these german articles were new to me..:eek:
we/ I can always trust in you sista..
thanks for your efforts to scan all the material..
walk on!!;)
Oder ,,Jeff jas'', wie wir kölner zu sagen pflegen..
(or ,,Let her rip'' as we say in cologne
with our kölschen accent..):)

Last edited:
Tags
foreign german interview interviews japanese photo spanish
Back
Top Bottom