Nominate the Best Song Ever Written

S

Skylarker

...serious contenders only. I'll go first.

Last edited by a moderator:

McCartney can't be too far from the mark.
Anyway, this is the first that came to mind. Probably more to come from me tomorrow when I'm more awake.

"Life on Mars?" would certainly be up there...If I had to pick one Morrissey-penned song for this honor, Smiths or solo..I suppose it'd have to be "November Spawned A Monster." The award for "Song I Most Wish I Had Written" goes to "Drifting Into A Secret Area" by a band called The Mirror Lounge.

Tracks Of My Tears.
Moonriver.
I'll Keep It With Mine.
Summertime.
Please Please Please LMGWIW.
Amsterdam.
Alison.

"Something That Remains" by Calm of Zero. Breathtaking vocals by Sonya as always! I believe every Morrissey
fan would love this song.

"Falling Flame" by Echobelly. Glenn's wonderful songwriting & Sonya's lovely voice on full display!

"Hello Vietnam" by Quynh Anh. Beautiful song showcasing Quynh Anh's truly magnificent voice!

"Rubber Ring" by The Smiths. Wow!

"Sunny" by Morrissey. I pretty much ignored this song for years and then one cold November day I put "My Early Burglary Years" into my CD player and I finally realized what a wonderful song this is!

"Pennies" by The Smashing Pumpkins. A simple song with heartfelt lyrics & vocals and a gorgeous melody.

"Snap" by The Smashing Pumpkins. Very hard to find song, at least I think it is. Recorded in the late 80's when the Pumpkins were just starting out and doing local Chicago gigs with groups like Ghost Swami. This song is awesome!

"Something That Remains" by Calm of Zero. Breathtaking vocals by Sonya as always! I believe every Morrissey
fan would love this song.

"Falling Flame" by Echobelly. Glenn's wonderful songwriting & Sonya's lovely voice on full display!

"Hello Vietnam" by Quynh Anh. Beautiful song showcasing Quynh Anh's truly magnificent voice!

Welcome back.

How long do you think you'll last this time?

Welcome back.

How long do you think you'll last this time?

I guess I don't know a lot about forums. I just wasted an hour or more writing about the greatest songs ever written and I got timed out and everything vanished. Is there anyway to retrieve what I wrote. Do you know? Anyway I think I'll just go over to the message posts and write something bad about that truly idiotic "Duck Dynasty." Me and all of my co-workers can't stand that show. Kimmel should have had the cast of "Lizard Lick" on instead. Yeah their show is goofy but at least they have heart & I bet Morrissey would've gone on the show!

By the way your selection of Bryan Adam's "The Summer of '69" is a good one. That's a good song and a great music video! The video tells a story and is funny and ends really abruptly. And Thin Lizzy were great! "Jailbreak" is a great song by them. Phil Lynott died much too young.

gonna have fun with this

my methodology :rolleyes: first I started with a list of my 25 favorite songs :guitar:
rated them in 3 categories; music, voice and words
and since the "topic" said written, I next dropped all the songs I had not given a "10 of 10" in words to:
still there were too many, then I had a epiphany, I really like a lot of short songs
so I kept a bunch of them on an even shorter list :thumb:
at that point, a non-short song did not make that list and I realized I loved it most :eek:
so here it is:

Btw, which would be your preferred version of Amsterdam? Bowie? Scott Walker? Brel?

The first version I heard was Bowie it's still great. Now I've listened to the different versions I prefer both to the original Brel.

Back
Top Bottom