Noel Gallagher on "The Queen Is Dead"

How a beautiful, eloquent, warm and deeply personal album like Maladjusted is by many considered a low point I will never understand. It feels like one critic started it and then everybody just tagged along. It's become tradition, more than anything.

How a beautiful, eloquent, warm and deeply personal album like Maladjusted is by many considered a low point I will never understand. It feels like one critic started it and then everybody just tagged along. It's become tradition, more than anything.

The melodies on Maladjusted and the accompanying B-sides were majestic and sublime. The reissued album with the b-sides throttled my cockles to no end. Maladjusted is one of my most played albums. I can not fathom the scorn and derision of some people here have towards it. Where were you when it came out? If only World Peace were as good & melodic. I think it has something to do with Alain's absence..

If we are talking worst output, well it's Maladjusted and Kill Uncle for me. And if we are talking tuneless, you cannot look past Maladjusted as an opener. Kill Uncle was imho just a bit twee...but then, that's what I thought of some parts of TQID, especially Frankly... The humour was there, but just a bit too much. Quarry had strong singles, but the production didn't work...Crashing Bores was played too slowly compared to the live shows of 2002, and You Know I Couldn't Last was just awful. I don't know why, but as things stand, if I take WPINOYB out of the player and put another Moz LP in, even Vauxhall...WP goes back in quite soon. It just works.

Maladjusted title track tuneless? I can see where you're coming from but personally I think it is a stunning stream of consciousness lyrically, vocally and musically.... I think the music had to be abrasive to convey the atmosphere.

There is an argument to suggest the LP Maladjusted (with exceptions) was the last album where his lyrical prowess shone through. It's all been diminishing returns in that department since, although occasional B-sides (eg Christian Dior, Teenage Dad, My Life Is An Endless Succession) or 'bonus' tracks (Forgive Someone, Art Hounds) maintain some quality.

for me it was the track sequencing/tracklist running order. i dont even think he had much influence int hat like the cover. id rather have an average album where i dont have to skip songs than a lopsided one with some excellent songs and some horrible ones. putting majadjusted in the middle wasnt a great idea to me and i just tired of skipping around.

i get what you mean and this problem is everywhere and it for sure grates on me. i feel this way about kill uncle as its still a very good album imo. i feel like people juist repeat what journalists said way back then and just repeat it. whenever i ask why they dont like it it seems like theyre repeating that same opinion i read everywhere. our frank, king leer, mute witness and sing your life are all very good songs.

The melodies on Maladjusted and the accompanying B-sides were majestic and sublime. The reissued album with the b-sides throttled my cockles to no end. Maladjusted is one of my most played albums. I can not fathom the scorn and derision of some people here have towards it. Where were you when it came out? If only World Peace were as good & melodic. I think it has something to do with Alain's absence..

Hmm...I might revise my opinion.
I think one of my feelings was why, oh why, were some of those B-sides not on the original album? I think, that, and perhaps the cover, are reasons why I couldn't hold the album in higher esteem. Sadly, when I got divorced three years ago, I had a wobbly moment where Morrissey meant less and I sold some rarities, including the 'Rare Tracks' EP. So, I've invested in the Maladjusted re-issue... World Peace is still a great album in my humble estimation though.

Stuff like Maladjusted, Alma Matters, Ambitious Outsiders, He Cried, Ammunition and Wide to Receive are just as good (even better in some cases) than any of the b-sides of that era. And the b-sides are stunning.

thats true but putting alma matters between songs like maladjusted and ambitious outsiders wasnt a good idea. really long tedious song, nest uptempo (mostly) catchy single and then back to musical territory didnt help anything. especially when theyre the first three songs (dont know why i thought maladjusted was in the middle. i must be thinking of southpaw). i also dont care for pap jack and roys keen being in the tracklisting. papa jacks just not that good imo and roys keen doesnt fit with any of the other songs themes and is off putting when stuck in the tracklisting. all of this made for a frustrating listen rather than an out and out bad listen. coming after southpaw also didnt help matters or my modd when i first received it. now i just skip maladjusted and let ambitious outsiders be the opening which is a great opener imo. plus the songs added meke for a much more cohesive listen which is something i prize in albums and to me maladjusted just wasnt. not horrible songs but together in that order they didnt add up to a good album for me or a good listen the way the reissue does.

Stuff like Maladjusted, Alma Matters, Ambitious Outsiders, He Cried, Ammunition and Wide to Receive are just as good (even better in some cases) than any of the b-sides of that era. And the b-sides are stunning.

It takes a special person to like He Cried.

You forgot Trouble Loves Me! Arguably his best song ever (including The Smiths), unarguably his best lyrics ever. Hearing this song live just leaves me devastated. "Please fulfill me me/Somebody kill me".

Maladjusted title track tuneless? I can see where you're coming from but personally I think it is a stunning stream of consciousness lyrically, vocally and musically.... I think the music had to be abrasive to convey the atmosphere.

On certain days Maladjusted is my favorite Morrissey song ever - that narrative switch-up is just such a stunner. It's a miracle of a song.

for me it was the track sequencing/tracklist running order. i dont even think he had much influence int hat like the cover. id rather have an average album where i dont have to skip songs than a lopsided one with some excellent songs and some horrible ones. putting majadjusted in the middle wasnt a great idea to me and i just tired of skipping around.

Yes - the remaster of Maladjusted is the album that should have been. Vauxhall, Arsenal and that reissue are the albums that I still listen to regularly from beginning to end (except for Sorrow Will Come in the End and Ambitious Outsiders, which are still just plain embarrassing).

On certain days Maladjusted is my favorite Morrissey song ever - that narrative switch-up is just such a stunner. It's a miracle of a song.

Yes - the remaster of Maladjusted is the album that should have been. Vauxhall, Arsenal and that reissue are the albums that I still listen to regularly from beginning to end (except for Sorrow Will Come in the End and Ambitious Outsiders, which are still just plain embarrassing).

cool to each there own on song taste. im kinda split on the whole re-kajiggering albums with different songs but i think it worked there for the best. i think southpaw was improved as well but it still doesnt do much for me.

nothing in any of his previous albums is as bad as 'neal cassidy'(yes moz, neal cassidy and allen ginsberg were gay with each other, you may be the only one that didnt know) 'kiss me a lot' or 'im not a man' and 'stairwell' or most of the others.

Speaking of embarrassing, I must be the only one that finds Art-hounds embarrassing.

nothing in any of his previous albums is as bad as 'neal cassidy'(yes moz, neal cassidy and allen ginsberg were gay with each other, you may be the only one that didnt know) 'kiss me a lot' or 'im not a man' and 'stairwell' or most of the others.

I feel the same about Quarry

You forgot Trouble Loves Me! Arguably his best song ever (including The Smiths), unarguably his best lyrics ever. Hearing this song live just leaves me devastated. "Please fulfill me me/Somebody kill me".

I did. How the hell did that happen? It's a masterpiece. Top-5 solo songs.

Speaking of embarrassing, I must be the only one that finds Art-hounds embarrassing.

Actually, there are plenty of Morrissey songs (or bits of songs) that I find embarrassing, and Art-hounds is a good example. I liked it at first, but repeated listens revealed that, while it starts out just fine, the song gradually slides into complete silliness. Somewhere between insulting their genitals (?!) and breathlessly cramming the lines "Will I see you/will I see you/will I see you/will I see you" into too small a space, things went awry.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

Actually, there are plenty of Morrissey songs (or bits of songs) that I find embarrassing, and Art-hounds is a good example. I liked it at first, but repeated listens revealed that, while it starts out just fine, the song gradually slides into complete silliness. Somewhere between insulting their genitals (?!) and breathlessly cramming the lines "Will I see you/will I see you/will I see you/will I see you" into too small a space, things went awry.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

He'd love to touch, he's afraid that he might self-combust
I could say more, but you get the general idea

Dagenham Dave, Dagenham Dave
Dagenham, Dagenham

Dagenham, Dagenham Dave

Oh, Dave, oh, Dagenham, dagenham
Dagenham Dave