Noel Gallagher on Morrissey and Marr (Bournemouth Echo)

I re-watched The Red Desert like three nights ago! It's stunning! But La Notte is Antonioni at his best (have you seen it? It's heartbreaking). But I haven't seen it in like eight years. I don't dare to re-watch it. Also glad you like Persona. Bergman is my all time favorite director (along with Allen and Tarkovsky). He means the world to me.

nah, L'avventura is the best one out of the antonioni trilogy, in my opinion. Bergman is amazing. Scenes from a marriage is his best film. Tarkovsky is probably my favorite director along with Bunuel. My favorite Tarkovsky is Stalker ;)

- - - Updated - - -

who dat? she's okay, but i dont like music that reminds me of sunny weather. this is the karina of my heart <3

ugh this movie and Godard in general is so overrated. Francois Truffaut is way better :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
nah, L'avventura is the best one out of the antonioni trilogy, in my opinion. Bergman is amazing. Scenes from a marriage is his best film. Tarkovsky is probably my favorite director along with Bunuel. My favorite Tarkovsky is Stalker ;)

- - - Updated - - -

ugh this movie and Godard in general is so overrated. Francois Truffaut is way better :thumb:

agree about godard being over rated

Top 5 favorite films? Genuine answer now. Films you've seen and enjoyed. No googling obscure titles you haven't seen.

i wanna answer this!! i'm a pretentious cinephile who likes to judge other people taste in films :thumb:

1) The Face of Another (1966)
2) Taste of Cherry (1997)
3) The Life of Oharu (1952)
4) Memories of Underdevelopment (1968)
5) I am Cuba (1964)

- - - Updated - - -

oh hello! why i though you'd never ask. you really shouldnt have, im not that famous. you must wait a moment, while i search for my list. ah here we go!

1) wiseblood
2) red desert
3) persona
4) empire of the sun
5) heavenly creatures

hmm that wasnt nearly as gratifying as i thought it was going to be. im not sure how i feel about this list anymore, or movies in general.

empire of the suns and heavenly creatures suck tbh!!!! persona is great, but is kinda the basic film for film students who haven't watched a lot of bergman

i wanna answer this!! i'm a pretentious cinephile who likes to judge other people taste in films :thumb:

1) The Face of Another (1966)
2) Taste of Cherry (1997)
3) The Life of Oharu (1952)
4) Memories of Underdevelopment (1968)
5) I am Cuba (1964)

- - - Updated - - -

empire of the suns and heavenly creatures suck tbh!!!! persona is great, but is kinda the basic film for film students who haven't watched a lot of bergman

Empire is just such a treat to look at I could watch it on mute and the intensity of heavenly creatures is right up my Ally as I love stories with intense personal relationships like the novel something dangerous etc. Heavenly creaturss also open exceptoonally well. Eh so it goes

Anne and Anna are both incredible. If I was lucky enough to choose between the two it would be Anna. All I can do is sigh thinking about it. Thank you so much for your great idea about eating leaves. I'm sure I won't like the taste, but to live inside of Italian cinema will make it worthwhile.
it's always worthwhile. all my best ideas come from italian (and french) cinema *smug*

:p

I re-watched The Red Desert like three nights ago! It's stunning! But La Notte is Antonioni at his best (have you seen it? It's heartbreaking). But I haven't seen it in like eight years. I don't dare to re-watch it. Also glad you like Persona. Bergman is my all time favorite director (along with Allen and Tarkovsky). He means the world to me.
yes, ive seen it but i cant really remember it. whats your favourite bergman film?

- - - Updated - - -

i'm a pretentious cinephile who likes to judge other people taste in films :thumb:
really? i couldnt tell :D

Empire is just such a treat to look at I could watch it on mute and the intensity of heavenly creatures is right up my Ally as I love stories with intense personal relationships like the novel something dangerous etc. Heavenly creaturss also open exceptoonally well. Eh so it goes
i love the part in heavenly creatures where kate winslet sings sono andati on the balcony. that has to be my favourite scene ever (favourite song too)

i havent watched empire of the sun in so long, im worried that if i do it will seem really dated

- - - Updated - - -

lmao i know :lbf:

that's okay, you're allowed! i havent watched any of the movies you mentioned, ill have to look them up on imdb (though i am not a pretentious movie watcher, so i dont know if theyll appeal :p)

yes, ive seen it but i cant really remember it. whats your favourite bergman?

Nattvardsgästerna (Winter Light in English). I never get tired of that one. But also Passion of Anna, Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, Persona. He has a ton of films I'd give a 5/5.

i love the part in heavenly creatures where kate winslet sings sono andati on the balcony. that has to be my favourite scene ever (favourite song too)

i havent watched empire of the sun in so long, im worried that if i do it will seem really dated

- - - Updated - - -

that's okay, you're allowed! i havent watched any of the movies you mentioned, ill have to look them up on imdb (though i am not a pretentious movie watcher, so i dont know if theyll appeal :p)

i think it was pretty dated, i guess it depends on what you mean by sated (politically story tropes visual technique etc film shot on), when i first saw it so probably. that sorta resembles my fav scene from mulhulland drive when the woman at the show is singing in italian on stage then collapses while the music and song go on (silencio). funny that film has a spectral wretch as well and is kinda what i think of when i finally read list of the lost. to bad it didnt gross nearly its budget as wasnt that his last film. im not a super big lynch fan as lost highway does nothing for me but that and blue velvet as well as the elephant man were all extremely good. cant remember that one where the guys has spacial temporal flashes. i remember not caring for it

- - - Updated - - -

I can understand you may not enjoy Godard's films (I disagree), but how could you call someone who put Anna Karina in his films overrated? She's fantastic. You might want to check your pulse.

Good god.....yes 'kin please.

Why one song , write an album Noel.......just to show them session musicians how it's done.

If there is a god , let it happen.....( actually that's a good title for a song )

And please........get Stephen street to produce , Andrew Paresi on drums add a new bass player.....get the artwork bang on and it's game on again.

You sir are spot on.

Morrissey screwed up when he jettisoned Stephen Street.

Andrew is great, would he tour?

That said, I think Stephen Street is the person responsible for Morrissey having a musical career after The Smiths. He wrote most of the music in the early years of his solo career and brought out the character of Morrissey I relate to today. I don't think people would love Morrissey like they do today if Stephen Street didn't push him to be so human.

WC

Are ya scared? I'm actually starting to think we like the same kind of films. Unless, of course, it's just a facade for you. An image (I of course can find value in both, let's say, Dreyer AND Ghostbusters because I don't subscribe to any contrived ideology).

"I'm actually starting to think we like the same kind of films"

Well, let's see. These are my absolute favourites; listed in not particular order:

1. Loves of a Blonde
2. The shop on Main Street
3. The Firemen's Ball
4. Closely Watched Trains
5. Empties
6. Tess
8. Knife in the Water
13. Intimate Lighting
14. Raven's End
15. Zappa (not Frank)

I could go on and on. There are hundreds more and I probably forgot to add "a few". Do you still think we have the same taste in films?
To truly appreciate these films you have to be familiar with the political and social climate in that particular time in history of Eastern Europe. I grew up there and when I watch these movies, my north American partner doesn't get them.

Well, let's see. These are my absolute favourites; listed in not particular order:

1. Loves of a Blonde
3. The Firemen's Ball
5. Empties
6. Tess
8. Knife in the Water
13. Intimate Lighting
14. Raven's End
15. Zappa (not Frank)

I could go on and on. There are hundreds more and I probably forgot to add "a few". Do you still think we have the same taste in films?
To truly appreciate these films you have to be familiar with the political and social climate in that particular time in history of Eastern Europe. I grew up there and when I watch these movies, my north American partner doesn't get them.

Love early Milos Forman :thumb:

- - - Updated - - -

I can understand you may not enjoy Godard's films (I disagree), but how could you call someone who put Anna Karina in his films overrated? She's fantastic. You might want to check your pulse.

eh, i just find them overrated!! there are better and more fascinating actresses from the french new wave in my opinion. Francoise Dorleac is my favorite :D

Good god.....yes 'kin please.

Why one song , write an album Noel.......just to show them session musicians how it's done.

If there is a god , let it happen.....( actually that's a good title for a song )

And please........get Stephen street to produce , Andrew Paresi on drums add a new bass player.....get the artwork bang on and it's game on again.

I agree to this... but why not write an album as a trio? Johnny Morrissey & Noel Bird!:D

It could work, y'know! :squiffy:

1. Loves of a Blonde
3. The Firemen's Ball
5. Empties
6. Tess
8. Knife in the Water
13. Intimate Lighting
14. Raven's End
15. Zappa (not Frank)

Hahaha... Wow. Are you really this stuck up, hostile and obnoxious for real? What a deplorable trait. Anyway, I've already mentioned my taste in films, if you skim through the thread. Bergman, Antonioni, Tarkovsky, Woody Allen... I actually have an interest in cinema. Wait, did you think you were the only one?
And I've seen most films on your list, the Forman ones, Knife in the Water, Kvarteret Korpen, The shop on Main Street, and I like them all, except for the ones by Forman, which I found to be too silly. I especially liked Kvarteret Korpen! I waited a lot of years to see it, but when I did it blew me away. I could say you have to be Swedish to get it, but I am not a narrow-minded moron. You do, however, need to be a thinking, feeling human being. This I hope you are.

well pat and he would both have glam in common as queen was his fav band while ziggy was boody pins. i remember in lexicondevil darby telling pat that the meaning of diamond dogs title was that they were a women and a mans best friend which i found very funny. pat, george, learned guitar by learning queen songs though he did just play with mccartney for there nirvana reunion so that might be a turn off. would have the out of place sexuality in common as well i suppose.

i wonder why johnny andy and joyce just dont get back together and set the world on fire with noel on vocals. could show that they dont need morrissey to be relevant

Hahaha... Wow. Are you really this stuck up, hostile and obnoxious for real? What a deplorable trait. Anyway, I've already mentioned my taste in films, if you skim through the thread. Bergman, Antonioni, Tarkovsky, Woody Allen... I actually have an interest in cinema. Wait, did you think you were the only one?
And I've seen most films on your list, the Forman ones, Knife in the Water, Kvarteret Korpen, The shop on Main Street, and I like them all, except for the ones by Forman, which I found to be too silly. I especially liked Kvarteret Korpen! I waited a lot of years to see it, but when I did it blew me away. I could say you have to be Swedish to get it, but I am not a narrow-minded moron. You do, however, need to be a thinking, feeling human being. This I hope you are.

And your claws came out (as I predicted).
I wasn't calling you names or being insulting. You on the other hand, made yourself look like a pathetic little turd, which I hope you are.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom