No Roy's Keen on Maladjusted reissue - confirmed

"Rare Tracks" wasn't rare at the time it came out, at least not on Amazon. I got it twice from there (one to open and one to keep in the packaging), and I also saw it at a store once (back in the olden times, when Cleveland had good record stores) and couldn't resist.

One of the ways I dealt with Moz's hiatus was to buy a lot of his old stuff again. Sometimes you need that nice feeling of walking into a store and buying some Smiths/Moz even if you have it already, ya know? Because you feel like you're voting for Moz (and, at the time, for his return!) when you do that, or something? Or is that just me? Lord knows Moz needs the money. But I also suffered from a mental illness where I thought I might lose or scratch something someday, and I wanna be able to bequeath the whole collection in good condition to someone special when I croak. Wait, I still have that mental illness. But at least I'm not trying to become an EBay power-seller. No, I just hoard. :)

haha understandable i suppose

I swear Moz is off his rocker if Ambitious Outsiders has had it's name changed. Surely it's a type O.

This has already been covered earlier in the thread - it was a typo in the original press release, and is fine on the promo.

I just posted up the promo sleeves which feature the tracklistings, as there does still seem to be a bit of confusion and scepticism about the info I've provided in the last couple of weeks, but I see now that these have been randomly moved to Collectors Corner.

This has already been covered earlier in the thread - it was a typo in the original press release, and is fine on the promo.

I just posted up the promo sleeves which feature the tracklistings, as there does still seem to be a bit of confusion and scepticism about the info I've provided in the last couple of weeks, but I see now that these have been randomly moved to Collectors Corner.
Reissue promo sleeves

Could you tell us about the song Ambitious Lovers, please?
Is it Ambitious Outsiders, but changed the title or completely different new song?
If it's a new song, would you able to provide the details (composer and lyrics)?

Thank you very much for your help. :)

Last edited:
In remastered quality? (Does anyone have any links if so?)

You could of course be ever so kind and just chuck both of them online for our aural pleasure?

[For 'what-a-greedy-b*stard's' sake, I'd like to clear up I'm 67% joking with the above request to share :p]

To be honest, they don't sound like they've been particularly mastered, let alone remastered. All the unreleased songs have a kind of narrow sound, kind of like you hear in decent quality demos. There's a marked different in terms of production between these and the rest of the Southpaw tracks. Put simply, they don't sound produced.

Also, on Honey You Know Where To Find Me, there's bits of his lyric - a word in the first verse and some "ba ba ba" fill ins after the first chorus - where his voice cracks slightly, or he takes a breath that definitely would have been rerecorded if it had been intended for release at the time.

I did read up about removing watermarks, but it's clearly not a wise path to go down, so I'll leave it to someone else.

To be honest, they don't sound like they've been particularly mastered, let alone remastered. All the unreleased songs have a kind of narrow sound, kind of like you hear in decent quality demos. There's a marked different in terms of production between these and the rest of the Southpaw tracks. Put simply, they don't sound produced.

Also, on Honey You Know Where To Find Me, there's bits of his lyric - a word in the first verse and some "ba ba ba" fill ins after the first chorus - where his voice cracks slightly, or he takes a breath that definitely would have been rerecorded if it had been intended for release at the time.

I did read up about removing watermarks, but it's clearly not a wise path to go down, so I'll leave it to someone else.

Well that's rather disappointing. I got the impression this was meant to be 'Southpaw Grammar: As It Should Be' not 'Southpaw Grammar: With Some Other Bits Chucked On'.
I can understand, and enjoy, artists releasing demos as extra tracks, it's very interesting - but to include them within the play of the album and not 'clean them up' seems bonkers, no? Why not tack them on at the end? Or make up a second disc of demos/B-Sides as is more usual?

Well that's rather disappointing. I got the impression this was meant to be 'Southpaw Grammar: As It Should Be' not 'Southpaw Grammar: With Some Other Bits Chucked On'.
I can understand, and enjoy, artists releasing demos as extra tracks, it's very interesting - but to include them within the play of the album and not 'clean them up' seems bonkers, no? Why not tack them on at the end? Or make up a second disc of demos/B-Sides as is more usual?

I completely agree. Fantastic Bird in particular is very jarring. It's VERY raw sounding. It was very obviously not recorded for Southpaw.

You Should Have Been Nice To Me is less noticeably unfinished, but still feels a bit out of keeping with the rest of the album. It sounds almost like a companion piece to I'd Love To if you've not heard it.

My main gripe is Southpaw being moved to the middle of the tracklisting. Absolutely bizarre. It was very obviously an album closer, but now it just seems to meander on for an age before Best Friend On The Payroll charges in.

I completely agree. Fantastic Bird in particular is very jarring. It's VERY raw sounding. It was very obviously not recorded for Southpaw.

You Should Have Been Nice To Me is less noticeably unfinished, but still feels a bit out of keeping with the rest of the album. It sounds almost like a companion piece to I'd Love To if you've not heard it.

My main gripe is Southpaw being moved to the middle of the tracklisting. Absolutely bizarre. It was very obviously an album closer, but now it just seems to meander on for an age before Best Friend On The Payroll charges in.

Looks like it's one I won't be rushing out to buy then.
Might as well just copy the original albums onto iTunes and then shuffle them.

Shame, this seems to have gone from Morrissey having the final word on the album, to it simply being another money-maker.
I had no problems with a re-issue, but mixing up the tracks is simply a rip-off :tears:

The more I think about this whole debacle the more I'm feeling that these reissues are more for Morrissey's ego than to give the fans something different.

He's stated his problems with aspects of both albums so now this is his chance to correct them and make the albums seem perfect. I see very little in it for the fan when it comes to these reissues.

I just reckon that he's really poor at reissues when he's just gotta take a look around to see how to really make a reissue work. For example here's two that I own from recent years:

Bruce Springsteen Born To Run 30th Anniversary Edition
CD - Remastered album
DVD1 - 'Wings For Wheels - The Making Of Born To Run'
DVD2 - 'Live At Hammersmith Odeon'
Booklet of previously unseen pictures and notes
(Can't remember RRP on release but I seem to recall getting it for around £20)

Weezer Blue Album 10th Anniversary Reissue
CD1 - Original album
CD2 - 'Raw Nuggets & Dusty Gems' 14 track bonus CD featuring all B-sides from the album's singles, acoustic session tracks and pre-production demo tracks including songs that didn't make the final cut
Booklet featuring unseen photos, interviews and original drafts of lyrics
(Think this was £16.99 on release)

Seeing as it's only the hardcore fans that'd buy these new Moz reissues, why not give them a proper treat? Why not throw in a DVD of 'Introducing...' with Southpaw - I know it was just before Southpaw but you get the idea. I'm sure we'd all be willing to pay a little more if we felt we were getting something special that some real thought and attention had gone into.

There's so much that can be done with a reissue and I think it's quite telling that the two major talking points on these reissues (original album tracks getting bumped off reissues, shite sleeves) are negatives.

I really can't emphasise 'sigh' enough :(

The more I think about this whole debacle the more I'm feeling that these reissues are more for Morrissey's ego than to give the fans something different.

He's stated his problems with aspects of both albums so now this is his chance to correct them and make the albums seem perfect. I see very little in it for the fan when it comes to these reissues.

I just reckon that he's really poor at reissues when he's just gotta take a look around to see how to really make a reissue work. For example here's two that I own from recent years:

Bruce Springsteen Born To Run 30th Anniversary Edition
CD - Remastered album
DVD1 - 'Wings For Wheels - The Making Of Born To Run'
DVD2 - 'Live At Hammersmith Odeon'
Booklet of previously unseen pictures and notes
(Can't remember RRP on release but I seem to recall getting it for around £20)

Weezer Blue Album 10th Anniversary Reissue
CD1 - Original album
CD2 - 'Raw Nuggets & Dusty Gems' 14 track bonus CD featuring all B-sides from the album's singles, acoustic session tracks and pre-production demo tracks including songs that didn't make the final cut
Booklet featuring unseen photos, interviews and original drafts of lyrics
(Think this was £16.99 on release)

Seeing as it's only the hardcore fans that'd buy these new Moz reissues, why not give them a proper treat? Why not throw in a DVD of 'Introducing...' with Southpaw - I know it was just before Southpaw but you get the idea. I'm sure we'd all be willing to pay a little more if we felt we were getting something special that some real thought and attention had gone into.

There's so much that can be done with a reissue and I think it's quite telling that the two major talking points on these reissues (original album tracks getting bumped off reissues, shite sleeves) are negatives.

I really can't emphasise 'sigh' enough :(

Was thinking something similar yesterday when I saw the tracklistings of the upcoming special editions of Radioheads first 3 albums, each one is 3 discs including original album, around 20 outakes, b sides etc and a dvd including videos, tv appearances etc. A lot more could have been done with Southpaw and Maladjusted, having said that I'm grateful for what I can get so will still buy them both.

The Southpaw reissue is disappointing, but at least there's something new on there.

The Maladjusted reissue is just absolutely pointless though. I like a couple of the B-sides from that era, but you can't just throw these on, take the worst 2 tracks off and expect people to be happy with it.

Should have just left the tracklisting as it was, and added the B-sides at the end. Not that that would've exactly been a must-have purchase either.

I'm looking at a promo now. Definitely No Papa Jack either.

Heir Apparent is down as "Her Apparent", which you have to hope they sort that before it hits the shelves.

moz recently said he regretted recording roy's keen... i think papa jack might fall under that phase too.

Is the version of Honey You Know Where To Find Me the same as the one available from the Download/Bootlegs section of Solo? (in the stickied Born To Hang compilation I think)

Is the version of Honey You Know Where To Find Me the same as the one available from the Download/Bootlegs section of Solo? (in the stickied Born To Hang compilation I think)

If someone sorts me out a yousendit link to just that track, I'll let you know.

Can't be arsed downloading 110mb for the sake of checking it out, if I'm honest.

The Southpaw reissue is disappointing, but at least there's something new on there.

The Maladjusted reissue is just absolutely pointless though. I like a couple of the B-sides from that era, but you can't just throw these on, take the worst 2 tracks off and expect people to be happy with it.

Should have just left the tracklisting as it was, and added the B-sides at the end. Not that that would've exactly been a must-have purchase either.

I don't really think it's pointless.
Maladjusted is the poorest selling of all Moz albums (I think) so there are tons of people out there who are interested in him but haven't bought it. Removing Roy and adding the likes of Lost and The Edges massively improves the quality of the album, turning it from so-so to actually-pretty-good.
Really wish he'd kept Sorrow off it though. I've never heard it and I never want to. Can't stand that side of Morrissey's persona.

Such a shame, Papa Jack is a bloody good song, Roy' s keen too....Nevermind
Cheers Moz

Tags
roy's keen
Back
Top Bottom