No Roy's Keen on Maladjusted reissue - confirmed

If you mean this one, yes.

maladjusted-200.jpg

No likey.

Id actually go as far as saying its worse than the Viva Hate redux.

Disappointed those two songs are missing from the re-issue, it makes the whole thing seem incomplete, like we still aren't getting the "definitive edition" of the album.

Am I the only person that is reasonably happy about this? There are very very few Morrissey songs that I don’t care for, but Roy’s Keen is certainly one of them. It’s a mix of a trite tribute song to Roy Keane, whilst morphing him into the Neil Morrissey 'Sammy the Chamois' character from Noel’s House Party. Yuk. I’m glad he is (once again) disassociating himself from the song.

However, I am mildly disappointed that Papa Jack is missing.

And I quite like the artwork.

Here to be in the minority.

Wow - lot of anger here. Mozzer isn't going to personally come around to your house and burn all the original copies of Maladjusted, you know. ;)

Exactly. I just look at this project as "for fans only," and fans already own the original version. I'm still getting the reissues personally.

seems Moz is turning into George Lucas with old age...and somehow they managed to make the sleeve just as ugly as the original (if not more)

Why don't people like this sleeve? I think it's a nice black and white picture of 90s Moz, when I think he looked his best. I also prefer pictures of him in real life settings, not just standing against some plain background. The font is nice and plain, much prefer it to the YOR font which was just too... "jazzy".

Wow - lot of anger here. Mozzer isn't going to personally come around to your house and burn all the original copies of Maladjusted, you know. ;)

He would if he could :D

Basically all Moz had to do was post the new sleeve on true to you and tell us all to remove 2 tracks, drag n drop the rare tracks CD into our Maladjusted playlist and there you have it. Done.

Anything else you want to rerelease while I'm at it Moz? Oh yeah Southpaw. Just send me the new track and I'll drop it in.:D

Last edited:
Am I the only person that is reasonably happy about this? There are very very few Morrissey songs that I don’t care for, but Roy’s Keen is certainly one of them. It’s a mix of a trite tribute song to Roy Keane, whilst morphing him into the Neil Morrissey 'Sammy the Chamois' character from Noel’s House Party. Yuk. I’m glad he is (once again) disassociating himself from the song.
However, I am mildly disappointed that Papa Jack is missing.
And I quite like the artwork.
Here to be in the minority.

Nope, I#m with you on this one (you#ll be relived to hear!).
Roys Keen is appalling. In fact, last year, we voted it the second worst of all his 30 odd singles, only narrowly beating the excruciating Dagenham Dave.

Nope, I#m with you on this one (you#ll be relived to hear!).
Roys Keen is appalling. In fact, last year, we voted it the second worst of all his 30 odd singles, only narrowly beating the excruciating Dagenham Dave.

I've never understood the hatred for these two. Both have agreeable melodies and I enjoy their pace and rhythm. OK, the lyrics for DD may be... inane (although I love the line "he'd love to touch, he's afraid that he might self-combust" and I also love what sounds like violins around this point), but I think it's got enough going for it that it's not the worst of all Morrissey singles (and it's certainly not excruciating). In fact I can think of at least half a dozen singles which I think are weaker than either DD or RK.

I'm just happy that I'll finally have the b-sides without shelling out a lot of money for the Rare Tracks CD. I don't care either way about "Roy's Keen" and "Papa Jack". I could take them or leave them. The new sleeves for this and SG aren't any better than the originals but again, I don't really care that much.

I am happy beyond words about this re-issue but I don't understand why ommit songs from the original album release, could it be a CD space issue or someone just full of shit?

I wish they had left songs in, I mean, come on.

Unless Universal has plans to re-issue a remastered edition of the original album without any extra tracks in the future? Questions, questions!

I am happy beyond words about this re-issue but I don't understand why ommit songs from the original album release, could it be a CD space issue or someone just full of shit?

I wish they had left songs in, I mean, come on.

Unless Universal has plans to re-issue a remastered edition of the original album without any extra tracks in the future? Questions, questions!

it would#ve been Morrissey#s decision and an understandable one at that.
both songs are considered (by the majority of fans) to be among his worse.
I don#t mind Papa but Roy is just plain awful.

I'm just happy that I'll finally have the b-sides without shelling out a lot of money for the Rare Tracks CD.

Whoa, I had no idea that EP was so expensive nowadays (Amazon):

Rare Tracks [EP] [IMPORT]
Morrissey

Available from these sellers.

2 new from $99.99 5 used from $56.41

Maybe I should sell one of my 3 copies? Or should I hold out till it hits $200? :)

BTW, as I've stated in previous threads, I am totally opposed to this sort of reissue attempting to change history.

I like "Roy's Keen", but that's beside the point. Even if I hated it, it's still the second single from "Maladjusted". "Papa Jack" should remain as well. It ain't bad, though I admit the final minute is completely annoying (who doesn't skip to the next track there?).

If Moz's issue is that he's opposed to albums running on too long, he could've reissued "Maladjusted" as it was and thrown in a bonus EP of the b-sides to make it a 2-CD set. But maybe it just gnaws at him at night that the album wasn't perfect in his eyes? Oh well. Better to do things better in the future than to try and change the past.

Whatever. I'm glad I have the real "Maladjusted" in multiple copies and formats. This imposter "Maladjusted" will come and go and maybe after Morrissey dies someone at the record label will do a proper reissue that makes things right again.

And why does a 1997 CD need to be remastered? For marketing purposes?

"I love most of [the songs]," said Morrissey. "They're like lice-ridden WWII evacuee children to me: all they ask is to be loved."

But where's the love for poor "Roy's Keen" and "Papa Jack". Kicked to the curb. :(

how did you ever come across 3 of them? :confused:

"Rare Tracks" wasn't rare at the time it came out, at least not on Amazon. I got it twice from there (one to open and one to keep in the packaging), and I also saw it at a store once (back in the olden times, when Cleveland had good record stores) and couldn't resist.

One of the ways I dealt with Moz's hiatus was to buy a lot of his old stuff again. Sometimes you need that nice feeling of walking into a store and buying some Smiths/Moz even if you have it already, ya know? Because you feel like you're voting for Moz (and, at the time, for his return!) when you do that, or something? Or is that just me? Lord knows Moz needs the money. But I also suffered from a mental illness where I thought I might lose or scratch something someday, and I wanna be able to bequeath the whole collection in good condition to someone special when I croak. Wait, I still have that mental illness. But at least I'm not trying to become an EBay power-seller. No, I just hoard. :)

Last edited:
Yeah it was called Rare Tracks while not being rare at all. It was readily available in 1997 and now this reissue/repackage/rerelease makes it even more special that I own a copy :)

I swear Moz is off his rocker if Ambitious Outsiders has had it's name changed. Surely it's a type O.

Tags
roy's keen
Back
Top Bottom