No Government Action Over Ticket Touts

"We continue to believe that market-led solutions are preferable compared with an outright ban or price-capping. Such measures would drive secondary ticket sales underground, leading to less consumer protection that currently exists in an open and transparent secondary market.

There are existing laws against fraudulent activity and we don’t believe that price capping would do anything to prevent the type of scam described in the petition, where tickets are either fake or do not exist."

:mad: TUT

See, you have "freedom of choice" in an open market. You are free to choose which option you want to be ripped off by. Those who say touts offer a service forget it is possible to offer the service at a reasonable profit, without ripping off the customer or distorting the market. Now we have the situation where Tickets are SOLD OUT minutes after going on sale, a great number of these tickets turning up in the hands of a "secondary agency" which is owned by the primary agency.

If they tried to enforce the existing laws it might make a little difference....

Bloody touts. I just can't be arsed wtih buying tickets anymore. :(

I nearly died laughing when Morrissey was quoted about how pleased he was because his concerts sold out so fast. Bless. If only I could also live in a bubble where there aren't any slimey, shit-smeared tout f***ers ripping everyone off.

If only I could also live in a bubble where there aren't any slimey, shit-smeared tout f***ers ripping everyone off.

slimey, shit-smeared tout f***ers. I'm only gonna call them this from now on.

I had the same..... they simply don't get it..... going on about a free market and secondary sellers etc.......

f*** all that crap...... we want action on knobheads buying tickets and putting them on ebay 3 minutes later....and scum bags standing outside - not paying tax but making a great living out of other peoples misery.....
And promoters should be banned from giving tickets direct to secondary agenices..... just flog em to fans in the first place.....
secondary agencies are just touts with suits.
At least Dick Turpin wore a mask:mad:

Jukebox Jury

What law are they breaking? I think that needs to be explained clearly. If they have connections that they are abusing that may be illegal, but if they are buying tickets through the same channels as everyone else is, then they are not breaking any laws.

What people need to do is skip the show. I know, it is the "last tour ever, this time we swear" but if people don't buy the tickets they will be for sale at the event at less than face value.

Don't buy tickets on ebay. You know you are buying from 'touts' if you do. If you have the money you don't really care, though. So part of this is a resentment that some people can pay the price to get the seat they want, and some people have to get what they can through an automated system.

If you are trying to legislate things until life is fair, that is never going to happen.

Again, if these people are breaking the law to get the tickets that is where you should focus. Reselling tickets should not be illegal or regulated by the government.

What law are they breaking? I think that needs to be explained clearly. If they have connections that they are abusing that may be illegal, but if they are buying tickets through the same channels as everyone else is, then they are not breaking any laws.

What people need to do is skip the show. I know, it is the "last tour ever, this time we swear" but if people don't buy the tickets they will be for sale at the event at less than face value.

Don't buy tickets on ebay. You know you are buying from 'touts' if you do. If you have the money you don't really care, though. So part of this is a resentment that some people can pay the price to get the seat they want, and some people have to get what they can through an automated system.

If you are trying to legislate things until life is fair, that is never going to happen.

Again, if these people are breaking the law to get the tickets that is where you should focus. Reselling tickets should not be illegal or regulated by the government.

Dave
That's the whole point...they are not breaking any laws..... but people want a law to make it illegal!
It is illegal to sell football (soccer:thumb:) tickets...not on any moral grounds but on ''safety'' reasons so rival fans are not mixed together..... so they can do it if they want too......
I agree it shouldn't be regulated by the government but within the industry....but the industry isnt interested....

Jukebox Jury

Dave
That's the whole point...they are not breaking any laws..... but people want a law to make it illegal!
It is illegal to sell football (soccer:thumb:) tickets...not on any moral grounds but on ''safety'' reasons so rival fans are not mixed together..... so they can do it if they want too......
I agree it shouldn't be regulated by the government but within the industry....but the industry isnt interested....

Jukebox Jury

Lets not kid ourselves here. If we leave it to the industry they will come up with a solution of increasing the ticket prices to drive out the touts. The rationale being that currently fans are paying the inflated prices to the touts anyway, and the higher unit price will eat into the touts profit margin.

I think that the industry is interested. If I sold Ice Lollies for a living and some bloke was buying them off me for £1 and then charging £2 under my nose, I would be.

Anyway, I don't sell Ice Lollies for a living, but I do need to go to work...

Dave

Jukebox Jury

Yes, but my point was that you don't want to add extra laws. It really is a problem that should be solved by the marketplace. If I get on the phone or the Internet before you and spend my money on a few extra tickets, I'm taking the risk that they won't turn a profit. I don't do that, but if I did I wouldn't be guilty of a crime.

I might compare the crime to prostitution. It's none of the government's business and it takes (a minimum of) two to tango. No one makes you use their services, but they are out there taking risks, and paying their bills like everyone else.

Your country has bigger problems than someone missing a Morrissey show. He might cancel anyway if someone looks at him the wrong way. ;)

Don't buy from scalpers, and the business of scalping will cease to exist.

If Ebay banned people from selling tickets, that would make it a bit harder for the touts, I imagine. One less platform to sell them from. But then it would be tough on fans who need to sell a ticket because they can't get to a gig.

I was trying to think... you know at Christmas when there's a must-have toy that every whining brat demends to have, and parents punch each other in Toys'R'Us to get them - don't sometimes those end up on Ebay at inflated prices too? I suppose you might call them toy touts?

That's a good example, Helen. Almost every year there is a toy like this. It is made to seem hard to get because it is poorly distributed. Actually it is more desirable only because it is hard to get. Some of the people that get it really want it, but many others just want to be part of the crowd that got it, and they will pay a lot for it. It probably comes down to some childhood need not being met, and we think that Morrissey, I mean, the toy, is going to restore some hole in our psyche and make us fully functioning adults. Isn't that worth the extra $50? ;)

If Ebay banned people from selling tickets, that would make it a bit harder for the touts, I imagine. One less platform to sell them from. But then it would be tough on fans who need to sell a ticket because they can't get to a gig.

I was trying to think... you know at Christmas when there's a must-have toy that every whining brat demends to have, and parents punch each other in Toys'R'Us to get them - don't sometimes those end up on Ebay at inflated prices too? I suppose you might call them toy touts?

You are right Helen
It pisses me off at the sight of the scum Fagin and his Artful Dodgers outside Manchester venues when tickets go on sale..... but at least they got off their arses and queued in the rain for 4 hours to get the tickets. They have always been there and always will. I still see / hear touts at football even though it is illegal.

But now thanks to the internet, some knob from Basingstoke who goes on a website and buys 6 tickets for a Manchester gig can make a nice sum within hours.... cut off their source and we are on the way to change.
There are genuine websites out there that allow fans to buy / sell tickets at face value (+ any fees they have paid) for those fans requiring to sell them months in advance but find themselves unable to attend.
www.scarletmist.com (or .co.uk) is one such site:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom