NME to cease print publication after 66 years - shared by Jesse Tobias

42427_tobias_nme.jpg

After 66 years - the end is nigh.
Final edition this Friday.

The Sun (as referenced above):
END OF AN ERA NME magazine to shut down after 66 YEARS – with final edition on Friday.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/57476...-after-65-years-with-final-edition-on-friday/

BBC:
Iconic NME magazine to end its weekly print edition.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-43318898

n603201609_291338_5120.jpg

I don't recognise much in recent editions, but an essential part of my youth.
Some very memorable Morrissey content both good and bad.

Regards,
FWD.

20180307_142250.jpg 84_NME_Cover_L311205.jpg THE_SMITHS_NME+-+7+JUNE+1986-419587.jpg 349fodz.jpg 2012-06-17_nme-8-6-85_opt.jpg mURI_temp_8f49e2db.jpg 51416.jpgflirting.jpg

(apologies about the tenuous link to the main story, it was the first place I saw it).

Last edited:
Can’t say I’m sorry to see it go. It’s been out of touch and full of itself for a while now

This is great news. The amount of times they trashed Morrissey and what not. Even with his recent album they took it as an opportunity to twist the knife a little bit more. I hope all those flannel shirt wearing millennial hipsters get evicted.
Welcome back to reality you smug middle-class c***s. No more free gigs, no more celebrity interviews with the bassist from Razorlight. You're done. Go f*** yourselves.

I didn't even know it was still alive. I tend to avoid newsagents and even if I'm in one I usually just look at the book section and scoff at how the prices are twice as expensive as ordering online.

Mid-90s Mozzer looking good in a flannel shirt on da cover.

This is great news. The amount of times they trashed Morrissey and what not. Even with his recent album they took it as an opportunity to twist the knife a little bit more. I hope all those flannel shirt wearing millennial hipsters get evicted.
Welcome back to reality you smug middle-class c***s. No more free gigs, no more celebrity interviews with the bassist from Razorlight. You're done. Go f*** yourselves.

I didn't even know it was still alive. I tend to avoid newsagents and even if I'm in one I usually just look at the book section and scoff at how the prices are twice as expensive as ordering online.

You've been taking the avoiding newsagents thing pretty seriously if you think it's normal for them to have a book section.

You've been taking the avoiding newsagents thing pretty seriously if you think it's normal for them to have a book section.
Easons in Ireland has a big book section, but perhaps they are booksellers who also happen to sell newspapers and magazines. I don't know what their business case is. But in Ireland it is fairly typical for large newsagents to sell books, and large bookstores to see newspapers. Of course the corner newsagent (if there are any left) are mainly newspapers/magazines with a bargain bin for books if you are lucky. The smaller newsagents wouldn't even stock the NME or movie magazines. In the good old bad days you could buy boxes of toy soldiers in the corner newsagents, and tobacco, and a book (maybe). You could also buy dinky cars.

Indeed it became a pale imitation of the things that made it great.
For those who grew up without an Internet during The Smiths era - Sounds (21 years), Record Mirror (37 years) and, yes, even the NME (66 years) were essential to find out what was going on (hell, even Smash Hits (28 years) served a purpose).
The NME was extremely supportive of The Smiths and early Morrissey solo.
They topped many of their yearly polls and were given a lot of column space.
I would never have gone to Wolverhampton in '88 if not for meeting someone out of their classifieds selling t-shirts :)
Their later behaviour towards Morrissey is beyond biased and the fact he was willing to associate with them again thereafter says more about Morrissey's tolerance than their journalistic integrity.
I think their support in the early days shouldn't go unacknowledged or unremembered - I was grateful at the time.
Regards,
FWD.

No big surprise, more a sign of the times. Before the internet there was always a certain amount of excitement in going to the newsagent on a Wednesday morning to buy the NME and Melody Maker. NME was always better for gig adverts and really was a lifeline to what was happening in the indie world. The internet made it redundant and sadly they didn't move with the times. Mid nineties onwards it was a joke mag anyhow.

Morrissey really shouldn't laugh. Records are next/already dying.

Moz selling out, NME shutting down.:thumb:
Justice.
Maybe UncSk will put a mimeographed copy.

NMExit LOL, dont let the door hit you on the next to last page.

Indeed it became a pale imitation of the things that made it great.
For those who grew up without an Internet during The Smiths era - Sounds (21 years), Record Mirror (37 years) and, yes, even the NME (66 years) were essential to find out what was going on (hell, even Smash Hits (28 years) served a purpose).
The NME was extremely supportive of The Smiths and early Morrissey solo.
They topped many of their yearly polls and were given a lot of column space.
I would never have gone to Wolverhampton in '88 if not for meeting someone out of their classifieds selling t-shirts :)
Their later behaviour towards Morrissey is beyond biased and the fact he was willing to associate with them again thereafter says more about Morrissey's tolerance than their journalistic integrity.
I think their support in the early days shouldn't go unacknowledged or unremembered - I was grateful at the time.
Regards,
FWD.

My thoughts exactly. In the late 80s / early 90s, before the Internet, they and the Melody Maker were my weekly sources for any good music coming out of the British Isles (and the US) and I read them religiously.

Was known as the New Morrissey Express, probably one of their most featured artists. I also recall an NME T-Shirt with the slogan "Build em up/Knock em down", but just a sign of the times, all newspapers will eventually stop circulation. Was good in its time.

My thoughts exactly. In the late 80s / early 90s, before the Internet, they and the Melody Maker were my weekly sources for any good music coming out of the British Isles (and the US) and I read them religiously.
I completely forgot about Melody Maker (74 years) - which was 'absorbed' by the NME in 2000!
Regards,
FWD.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom