NME to cease print publication after 66 years - shared by Jesse Tobias

42427_tobias_nme.jpg

After 66 years - the end is nigh.
Final edition this Friday.

The Sun (as referenced above):
END OF AN ERA NME magazine to shut down after 66 YEARS – with final edition on Friday.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/57476...-after-65-years-with-final-edition-on-friday/

BBC:
Iconic NME magazine to end its weekly print edition.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-43318898

n603201609_291338_5120.jpg

I don't recognise much in recent editions, but an essential part of my youth.
Some very memorable Morrissey content both good and bad.

Regards,
FWD.

20180307_142250.jpg 84_NME_Cover_L311205.jpg THE_SMITHS_NME+-+7+JUNE+1986-419587.jpg 349fodz.jpg 2012-06-17_nme-8-6-85_opt.jpg mURI_temp_8f49e2db.jpg 51416.jpgflirting.jpg

(apologies about the tenuous link to the main story, it was the first place I saw it).

Last edited:
No big surprise, more a sign of the times. Before the internet there was always a certain amount of excitement in going to the newsagent on a Wednesday morning to buy the NME and Melody Maker. NME was always better for gig adverts and really was a lifeline to what was happening in the indie world. The internet made it redundant and sadly they didn't move with the times. Mid nineties onwards it was a joke mag anyhow.

Completely agree and understand this. Essential purchase on a Wednesday morning on way to school (along with 10 Benson and Hedges)

I vaguely knew its final editor (in a previous life) and think he was on a hiding to nothing.

Lost its way around the time of Britpop, especially as two years earlier they'd castigated Morrissey for waving a Union Jack (Union Flag if you're being pedantic)

Interestingly As this news broke I read that Kerrang magazne is actually expanding its print copy and opening up an office in the USA too.
Obviously they know their market. But proves not every music publication has to wither up and die in the internet age.

I didn't even know it was still alive. I tend to avoid newsagents and even if I'm in one I usually just look at the book section and scoff at how the prices are twice as expensive as ordering online.

Since 2015 it's been a free publication supported entirely by advertising. People would stand around in London trying to pass it out, like The Metro. Quite useful if you're out of toilet paper. I guess I'll have to buy my own bog roll now. :(

Oh well it's just the way of the world isn't it, vinyl made a comeback and apparently milk in glass bottles is now back on the rise due to the battle against plastics, it's a funny old world innit.
The bigger question for me though is what the 4ck has it got to do with the thrash-metal-coming-face-axe-murderer in the first instance ? Absolutely nowt that's what.
4ck off Tobyarsehole :handpointup:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Completely agree and understand this. Essential purchase on a Wednesday morning on way to school (along with 10 Benson and Hedges)

I vaguely knew its final editor (in a previous life) and think he was on a hiding to nothing.

Lost its way around the time of Britpop, especially as two years earlier they'd castigated Morrissey for waving a Union Jack (Union Flag if you're being pedantic)

Interestingly As this news broke I read that Kerrang magazne is actually expanding its print copy and opening up an office in the USA too.
Obviously they know their market. But proves not every music publication has to wither up and die in the internet age.
Kerrangs expanding? I don't see how, heavy metal magazine aimed at teenagers, ?

what are you on about> Have you been living under a rock? Vinyl sales are up like 2000%. Or by records do you mean CDs?
I meant CDs. I used records as a catch all word. I know vinyl is up, but that's a very small fraction of music buyers. Sorry, I was out late last night and my brain isn't firing as quickly as usual.

Indeed it became a pale imitation of the things that made it great.
For those who grew up without an Internet during The Smiths era - Sounds (21 years), Record Mirror (37 years) and, yes, even the NME (66 years) were essential to find out what was going on (hell, even Smash Hits (28 years) served a purpose).
The NME was extremely supportive of The Smiths and early Morrissey solo.
They topped many of their yearly polls and were given a lot of column space.
I would never have gone to Wolverhampton in '88 if not for meeting someone out of their classifieds selling t-shirts :)
Their later behaviour towards Morrissey is beyond biased and the fact he was willing to associate with them again thereafter says more about Morrissey's tolerance than their journalistic integrity.
I think their support in the early days shouldn't go unacknowledged or unremembered - I was grateful at the time.
Regards,
FWD.

Totally agreed. Even picking up a month-old copy in Boston in 1988 was like a godsend, opening up new bands for me. And back then, the writing was hilarious and great. When I was 17 I wanted to be a journalist for NME. Good thing I didn't try it -- I'd be unemployed now! :)

Morrissey really shouldn't laugh. Records are next/already dying.

Yep, just like the vinyl had died... It Will eventually, but first all the 40-something will have to die. Then, it can go and I really don't care as long as mine are safe with my son.

Same for me, saw loads of bands based on their views in the 80’s and loved looking through the what’s on section. I felt they lost their way when they jumped on the Arctic Monkeys bandwagon, for a couple of years it was all about them and anything else from the Sheffield area. I remember asking my wife to cancel the delivery as it stopped as it stopped being relevant to me, or did I just get older?

Same for me, saw loads of bands based on their views in the 80’s and loved looking through the what’s on section. I felt they lost their way when they jumped on the Arctic Monkeys bandwagon, for a couple of years it was all about them and anything else from the Sheffield area. I remember asking my wife to cancel the delivery as it stopped as it stopped being relevant to me, or did I just get older?

I like the arctic monkeys but sorta agree. They never moved on or recovered from the garage rock era bandwagon they jumped on. The razorlight joke above is sums it up for me

It had a tradition of razor sharp, bombastically witty writing (or it did at the time Morrissey was still witty in print), and fostered the careers of Danny Baker, Danny Kelly and Stuart Maconie, to name only three off the top of my head. For that reason alone, I am sad to see its demise.

ahhh my youth,quick look at a nudey mag,quick look at the nme,another quick look at the nudey mag,quick look at melody maker,finally last look at a nudey mag,then kicked out the shop.wonderful days oh how I miss them.

Morrissey is going to be in a great mood tonight, now his enemy is dead. I'm expecting him to be drunk and talkative.

You just got old

Morrissey is going to be in a great mood tonight, now his enemy is dead. I'm expecting him to be drunk and talkative.

Oh Diesel it sounds like your on a dead dirty 5* hotel promise tonight for sure. Enjoy.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

I subscribed to it in the end after buying it at a local kiosk before that. NME always were the most hateful and racist anti gay publication you could ever find, just ask the members of Kitchens of Distinction.

The vent your spleen section was funny at times. I still remember the smell of the paper.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom