NME Song Stories - Johnny Marr talks about Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Also posted by Uncleskinny (original post):

Steve McGarry Cartoons - Johnny Marr Biographic

Syndicated in newspapers around the world, here from his Facebook page...

marr_mcgarry.jpg

docinwestchester originally posted the biographic as it appeared in the New York Daily News on Feb. 10, 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sublime. Thank you for posting.

But Johnny really needs to buy a new badge.
Maybe if this new LP shifts some units...

Jesse Tobias couldn't even get close to that. He's completely incapable of ever playing anything like that.

It's a shame Moz has been foisting an inadequate guitarist like Jesse on us for so many years now.

It's sad and very frustrating.

A Marr biography, I'm on facebook shall look if it's for real, cause Marr has been in the news a lot alst months,
and haven't noticed theres a biography comng out

Also must buy, as Goddard' updated ' Song that Saved Your Life'

Johnny is really good guitarist, but uses a lot of guitars and peddles, at a gig he uses at least 10

The Smiths 1985 or 6 USA tour Johnny got 36 guitars in the Van :) [as I remember vaguely.

Noel Gallagher got one for free, as they were working on Morningglory album

He has his own Fender, but wonder how many guitars he got [me think more than singes The Smiths released:rolleyes:

A Marr biography, I'm on facebook shall look if it's for real, cause Marr has been in the news a lot alst months,
and haven't noticed theres a biography comng out

Also must buy, as Goddard' updated ' Song that Saved Your Life'

Johnny is really good guitarist, but uses a lot of guitars and peddles, at a gig he uses at least 10

The Smiths 1985 or 6 USA tour Johnny got 36 guitars in the Van :) [as I remember vaguely.

He has his own Fender, but wonder how many guitars he got [me think more than singes The Smiths released:rolleyes:

Yeah, you "remember vaguely" because it didn't happen. There's no way Johnny toured with 36 guitars.

Just stop it, already.

So, did they sign to Sire on Jan 2nd 1984 (I know they signed to Sire at some point, just wondering if it was then)? I imagine that Johnny would make the deal with Sire, get the guitar, and then go back to Morrissey who would decide something else...

Dave

Effin' hell. He's like a magician who only brings out his best tricks once in a while, very matter-of-fact, and they never fail to impress.

I get tired of Jesse bashing, but imagine Marr replaces him, Boz and the others stay on, and it becomes "Morrissey & Marr" on tour.
Whoa.

Last edited:
This is a quality story from Johnny about the time he lent a 1960 Gibson Les Paul to Noel...

I Wanna Live Forever...

Dave

Effin' hell. He's like a magician who only brings out his best tricks once in a while, very matter-of-fact, and they never fail to impress.

I get tired of Jesse bashing, but imagine Marr replaces him, Boz and the others stay on, and it becomes "Morrissey & Marr" on tour.
Whoa.

It's not Jesse "bashing". It's telling it like it is.

It's the Truth.

If you're the kind of person who likes to frame magazine pics, then the NME is worth getting, since there's a full-page unblemished pic of Marr in this issue...

n1rltu.jpg

P.

This is a quality story from Johnny about the time he lent a 1960 Gibson Les Paul to Noel...

I Wanna Live Forever...

Dave

Borrowed guitars, borrowed songs.

Holy F***, Can you imagine, Heaven Knows and Girl Afraid in one day? Johnny writes this genius music which Morrissey adds equally genius lyrics to.

These two make me feel like a complete waste of space - talent up the wahzoo.

If you want to feel even more inadequate, JM was barely in his 20s when he wrote these classics. I think back to what I was doing at that age and I want to weep. :)

Holy F***, Can you imagine, Heaven Knows and Girl Afraid in one day? Johnny writes this genius music to which Morrissey adds equally genius lyrics.

These two make me feel like a complete waste of space - talent up the wahzoo.

In an interview, Johnny said that they wrote three tracks over a weekend. First one was 'William, it was really nothing', and then 'Please please please let me get what I want' and third track was 'How soon is Now?'. Staggering...
What f***in incredible geniuses.

Last edited:
"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now"...that song got me through many miserable days in the Army working for a bunch of swollen-headed people.

In an interview, Johnny said that they wrote three tracks over a weekend in 1985. First one was 'William, it was really nothing', and then 'Please please please let me get what I want' and third track was 'How soon is Now?'. Staggering...
What f***in incredible geniuses.

What's really amazing is that all those songs were released in 1984. Time travel?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom