NME: Russell Brand discusses ‘rude and hard work’ Morrissey

Russell Brand discusses ‘rude’ and ‘hard work’ Morrissey - NME
Jun 6, 2017

"He's got some sort of gravitas. People are properly affected by him."

Russell Brand has discussed his relationship with Morrissey, saying the Smiths legend can be “rude” and “hard work”.

The comedian is such a big fan of Morrissey that he named his cat after him, and in recent years the duo have become friends too.

Asked by a Q reader if Morrissey is “hard”, Brand replied: “He’s hard work! Everyone that knows him, even the people you think are as famous to him, really kowtow to him.”

“He’s got some sort of gravitas,” Brand added. “People are properly affected by him.”

Brand also shared the story of a witty put-down Morrissey aimed at him after a gig the comedian had played at Hammersmith Apollo.

Brand recalled: “[Morrissey] came to the show with Victoria Wood, God rest her soul, and Chrissie Hynde, and I was with Alain de Botton, the philosopher bloke. He really liked me, Alain de Botton. He was saying, ‘Russell is the most important social commentator of our age, that’s the thing. If he wasn’t a comedian, people would be saying he’s the most significant philosopher of our time. But he is a comedian, there’s no box you can put him in.'”

“And Morrissey went, ‘How about a coffin?’ He’s rude. He’s got these weird puns. He never fails to call Bryan Ferry ‘Bryan Ferret’.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, he spoke more about himself than Morrissey ("ooh aah, Alain de Botton said I am the most important commentator of our age, moi"), but then again Russell Brand is one of the biggest publicity whores of our time. Kind of like a pseudo-marxist Kim Kardashian.

They are both self-obsessed narcissists who think the sun shines out of their behinds. It's no wonder the pair of them get on.

how about a coffin, haha! oh mozzer i love it!

yes, someone please point me in the direction of some of russell brands profound insights or theories please, because thus far all ive seen is a guy with way too much energy who is way too impressed with himself

how about a coffin, haha! oh mozzer i love it!

yes, someone please point me in the direction of some of russell brands profound insights or theories please, because thus far all ive seen is a guy with way too much energy who is way too impressed with himself

Yes, he has too much energy, maybe that's why people end exhausted after watching his videos. I understand why Morrissey made a joke about putting him in a coffin. It's a joke! Nobody can be "the most important comentator of our age", without putting up with a joke.

They are both self-obsessed narcissists who think the sun shines out of their behinds. It's no wonder the pair of them get on.

There is something contradictory in your comment.
I can't quite put my finger on it, well in fact I can but don't bother.

Yes, he has too much energy, maybe that's why people end exhausted after watching his videos. I understand why Morrissey made a joke about putting him in a coffin. It's a joke! Nobody can be "the most important comentator of our age", without putting up with a joke.
yes, but i also think morrissey takes a curious joy in being a wet blanket and snuffing out overly zealous praise such as that. i think perhaps russell brand gets carried away by his own energy into thinking he's more brilliant and witty than he actually is (you watch him in interviews and he and the host seem to be having way too much fun and you wonder what is so funny because nothing funny or clever or novel was actually said. it's just him and the host playing off of each others energies). hopefully morrissey continues to keep him in check.

But it bounces back to him in a way too as he is quite aware of.
It does remind me of this strophe from The Never-played Symphonies:

" I can't see those who tried to love me
Or those who felt they understood me
And I can't see those who
Very patiently
Put up with me
All I can see are the never laid
That's the never played
Symphonies ".

Essential, brilliant and insightful Moz song.
There is no one out there, coming even close to him. :tiphat:

Perfect example of why I always have loved Mr. M's wit! I feel for those who don't get it.

Brand has invested way too much of his own brand in Morrissey to jump ship now, ditto Ross and Walliams. I was there at the Roundhouse when Morrissey had his amusing Diva exit and those clowns took it upon themselves to 'manage the turmoil' to try and get in his good books. As if Morrissey would give a f*** what Brand thinks....very odd how these people claim they are 'friends' with a misfit who claims that friendship, like love, is a fraudulent concept. Perhaps they don't listen to any of the lyrics.."no true friends in modern life". Not for the repulsive Morrissey, as his catastrophic isolation is either a lie or richly deserved karmic comeuppance. Who cares other than to mock his late-career Clown Troll phase. I'm so glad he's making another album, so is everyone else in the music industry. *popcorn* isn't even the half of it.... there's nothing he can do to redeem himself now other than to break down on stage and beg forgiveness for his many crimes against taste and decency: Utoya. Cheesegate. Bataclan. Trying to appropriate rebel blackness to sell t-shirts... and all the rest of it...I will vanish again soon but will be back when this latest LP is released. It will be total nonsense, full of great vocals, 'witty lyrics' and the usual pity party bullshit.

Did Steven go to Noel Gallagher's narco-themed birthday party?.....*thinking*.....

f*** ISIS. f*** Morrissey.

A*** The Angry Anti-Theist
The Shire
Engerland, innit.

Brand has invested way too much of his own brand in Morrissey to jump ship now, ditto Ross and Walliams. I was there at the Roundhouse when Morrissey had his amusing Diva exit and those clowns took it upon themselves to 'manage the turmoil' to try and get in his good books. As if Morrissey would give a f*** what Brand thinks....very odd how these people claim they are 'friends' with a misfit who claims that friendship, like love, is a fraudulent concept. Perhaps they don't listen to any of the lyrics.."no true friends in modern life". Not for the repulsive Morrissey, as his catastrophic isolation is either a lie or richly deserved karmic comeuppance. Who cares other than to mock his late-career Clown Troll phase. I'm so glad he's making another album, so is everyone else in the music industry. *popcorn* isn't even the half of it.... there's nothing he can do to redeem himself now other than to break down on stage and beg forgiveness for his many crimes against taste and decency: Utoya. Cheesegate. Bataclan. Trying to appropriate rebel blackness to sell t-shirts... and all the rest of it...I will vanish again soon but will be back when this latest LP is released. It will be total nonsense, full of great vocals, 'witty lyrics' and the usual pity party bullshit.

Did Steven go to Noel Gallagher's narco-themed birthday party?.....*thinking*.....

The Shire
Engerland, innit.

Larry King: You and Russell Brand…are you friends?

Morrissey: Yes, yes, we’re friends.

Larry King: He’s hysterical.

Morrissey: Well, he’s insane. He’s clinically insane.

Larry King: He might be.

Morrissey: Oh, he is.

Larry King: Because he can’t turn it off, right?

Morrissey: He can’t turn it off. He doesn’t know who turned it on. But he’s a one-off and he has a big heart. He doesn’t actually like to upset anybody, even though he steamrolls in with everybody…but if he upsets somebody, he crumbles. So, he’s nice.

The Shire
Engerland, innit.

NO. You weren't there (Roundhouse). This is Roundhouse MSolow thread (https://www.morrissey-solo.com/comments.pl?sid=27781&threshold=0&commentsort=0&mode=thread&pid=292629#292632) and NO reference of/from you in all [URL='https://www.google.hr/search?client=firefox-b&q=comments&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_n4_qyKzUAhVL7xQKHd95BxcQvwUIHSgA&biw=1366&bih=646']comments section (show us your comment, point it out). [URL='https://www.google.hr/search?client=firefox-b&q=you+are+seventy+years+old+grandpa&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisjsGuyazUAhVCPBQKHVPnBp0QvwUIHSgA&biw=1366&bih=646']You are seventy years old grandpa, so, drink your chamomile tea and straight to bed. Be a good boy.[/URL][/URL]

The Shire
Engerland, innit.

Quite brilliant you already reviewed an album which doesn't even exist, and which might not even be released. And for which nothing has been recorded yet. Possibly a novelty.
You are already enjoying yourself the annoyance and dislike it will give you.
But I like your critical view on all these so-called friends.
You sound mild BB, Moz doesn't iiritate you that much anymore?
Well, I guess there are other priorities!

I was at all the Roundhouse gigs & also in Doncaster, Sunderland and Edinburgh, even if I was pretending to be my childhood enemy at the time. Here's some more evidence for you to choke on, vegan.cro, ya silly bitch...note the astonishing quality of my writing during this period of gently mocking Morrissey:

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/comments.pl?sid=27806&cid=294458#commentwrap

Also Andy, obviously, something hit you hard [URL='https://www.google.hr/search?client=firefox-b&q=psychologically&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM0r2B-KzUAhWLvhQKHQP_Da4QvwUIISgA&biw=1366&bih=646']psychologically (TRAUMA OF SOME SORT) during 2008 to 2017, according to your writing.[/URL]

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom