NME: Nicky Wire got a postcard from Morrissey when he was a teenager

Kewpie

Subscriber
Nicky has a really cool mum:

http://www.nme.com/news/manic-street-preachers/53177

Nicky Wire has said that the title track of the band's new album 'Postcards From A Young Man' was partly inspired by Morrissey sending him a postcard when he was a teenager.

The bassist, speaking in a video interview with NME, which you can watch on the right, said he got sent postcards by a variety of rock stars as a child – and it was all down to his mum.

He explained: "My mum used to do this thing where if I couldn't do a gig, say The Smiths were playing St David's Hall [in Cardiff], she'd send a postcard saying, 'Oh, my son's really ill, could you send him a postcard?' Not that I was. So I've got all these brilliant ones from Morrissey, and one from The Jesus And Mary Chain, where Bobby Gillespie wrote, 'Get well soon, from Jesus Christ'."

Wire added: "I was 14 and 15 at the time. I got one off Public Image Ltd., a really nice one from John Lydon. My mum was ahead of the game."

Awesome! What a cool mum :D.

Oh, the ol' "send my sick kid a postcard" scam. What a classic! :lbf:

I'm glad he received some from some quality people. I would love to see those cards from Morrissey.

Nice anecdote.
Has there been any kind of mutual Morrissey/Manics appreciation, mentions, slag offs -- anything over the decades?

I wonder what Morrissey thinks/thought of Richey, who dealt with his depression in much different ways.

Nice anecdote.
Has there been any kind of mutual Morrissey/Manics appreciation, mentions, slag offs -- anything over the decades?

I wonder what Morrissey thinks/thought of Richey, who dealt with his depression in much different ways.

I read somewhere that back in the early 90s at the height of the Madstock thing, Richey and Nicky were scathing about Morrissey, calling him a "sad old man, desperate for publicity" or something.

That really doesn't sound like a nice thing to do. Lie to someone to get them to send a postcard about your son's fake illness? No.

Nice anecdote.

I can recall a 'Melody Maker' interview with Richey and Nicky around 'Gold Against the Soul' time where they stated that they both thought Morrissey was the messiah up until 'Hatful of Hollow' !?! (That was brief) After about 1984 they thought he basically became a cliche and a cartoon. It's a point of view, I suppose. Probably more influenced by the propaganda kick R & N were into at that point of live fast, die young (artistically speaking) - make a couple of great records then bail.
In their decades long career since :)rolleyes:) I haven't heard Nicky change his tune (in any sense ;))
Morrissey on Manics? Peep-less.

Nicky Wire probably has no opinion on Morrissey these days. He's too busy writing songs that slag off all the 'they were shit after The Holy Bible' haters without them noticing.

Seriously, there's at least one on every album.
I'd love the Manics for that even if I didn't like the music.

the smiths never played the st davids hall in cardiff so i reckon the article is nonsence .

they only played cardiff once and that was the students union 1984 . they did play newport centre in 1986 where it made national press when the Mozz was hauled off stage before the show finished !

the manics are pants anyway

the smiths never played the st davids hall in cardiff so i reckon the article is nonsence .

they only played cardiff once and that was the students union 1984 . they did play newport centre in 1986 where it made national press when the Mozz was hauled off stage before the show finished !

the manics are pants anyway

I think he was just saying that as a hypothetical to give people an idea of what he was on about. Probably too busy picking eyeliner to worry about researching where they actually played.

I read somewhere that back in the early 90s at the height of the Madstock thing, Richey and Nicky were scathing about Morrissey, calling him a "sad old man, desperate for publicity" or something.

I remember that too. I think they were the ones craving publicity - why else drag his name through the mud?

I remember that too. I think they were the ones craving publicity - why else drag his name through the mud?

Those comments were in response to Morrissey's supposed support of the BNP. They were asked a question and they answered it. Any 'controversy' was solicited by the interviewer.

I remember some magazine-possibly Mojo-had a Smiths special around the 20th. anniversary of The Queen is Dead in which Nicky fawned over the record.

I can recall a 'Melody Maker' interview with Richey and Nicky around 'Gold Against the Soul' time where they stated that they both thought Morrissey was the messiah up until 'Hatful of Hollow' !?! (That was brief) After about 1984 they thought he basically became a cliche and a cartoon. It's a point of view, I suppose. Probably more influenced by the propaganda kick R & N were into at that point of live fast, die young (artistically speaking) - make a couple of great records then bail.
In their decades long career since :)rolleyes:) I haven't heard Nicky change his tune (in any sense ;))
Morrissey on Manics? Peep-less.

I can remember an interview with Moz in the early 90's when he said "You don't really think anybody cares about the Manic Street Preachers do you?".
"Do anything for fame" is a bit rich coming from that band of student toss pots.
cutting 4 real into your arm is the saddest bit of shock tactics I have ever heard.
The Manics were about as original as soup, they started off being a silly New York Dolls copy band, before then tried to be Joy Division then once Richy (the only interesting one in the band) went, they became dull stadium rockers

What one must always remember about the 90s bands is that its was their job to kick against what ever went before and Morrissey was the looming specter of what went before.
The funny was you could tell they were all fans, Oasis slagged Him (they are fans), Jarvis slagged him (through jealousy, jarvis just saw the gap in the market and created the disco smiths, alas they lacked the power and emotion of The Smiths, Plus, Jarvis is a rent an eccentric rather than the real deal.)
The Verve had a popped then it turned out Richard was a fan etc etc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom