NME - Morrissey Reveals Retirement Plans

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2009 (read-only)' started by mcrickson, Feb 16, 2009.

1. mcrickson

mcrickson Reckless Endangerment

http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/42816\

Oh my... :(

I mean, I know he's going to retire eventually..but hearing an approximation from HIS mouth..it just gives me chills. :tears:

EDIT: Don't shoot the messsenger. Its just something that I came across..

2. jesuisbryony

jesuisbryony ...

Re: Morrissey Reveals Retirement Plans

Well I'm happier that it's in around five years rather than immediately, as it wasn't really clear before. It's sad but it has to happen at some point.

3. someofusisturningnasty

someofusisturningnasty Expired

"I think it’s incredibly slim. For Heaven's sake! Really?"

It depends on how he actually answered this question because on the face of it it would appear that he could be incredulous at the notion.

"I assume most people lose it because they become satisfied and they achieve everything they ever set out to achieve"

Hmmm. I hope he's still bemoaning the world's woes at 70.

4. Irish Budd

Irish Budd Oh well.Enough said.

It must br true because the NME is always reports "the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth." :lbf:

5. sweetness522

sweetness522 My one true love

Sure it is a sad thought, but I'd rather know for sure rather than just wondering when it will happen.

I think that is a good age for him, although I'd like for him to continue on forever, I know it's not realistic. I am happy and elated for another 5 years.

6. Danny_

Danny_ Forgot my login!

I've never thought any of the previous rumours have any substance. None of them ever originated from Morrissey himself and they always seemed to be idle speculation from journalists and fans with too much time on their hands.

However, the fact that he is actually coming out and hinting rather than avoiding such questions makes me think he might be contemplating this as the last big album/tour. BUT you've got to bear in mind the fact that he isn't the sort of artist who plots out his career years in advance so there's plenty of time for him to change his mind.

Does anyone think him singing I Keep Mine Hidden might be significant? The last Smiths song! :popcorn:

7. Kewpie

Kewpie Member Moderator Subscriber

:clap:

Yes, Morrissey can change his mind anytime.
    Possibly at the time he felt too tired of doing promo which made him hinting retirement.

8. LuvMozzy

LuvMozzy it hasn't

Home Page:
    http://lightupvirginmary.blogspot.com/
    I heard him say that on the XFM interview. Morrissey has been banging on about retiring since he was about 22.
    I'll believe it when I see it (mind you, I said that about the one show...!)

9. Dave

Dave Guest

He's not happy and satisfied. And what else would he do? spend money? drink? I think he would get bored, and there would be a song lyric or two that would occur to him. I can't see him retiring.

10. columbula

columbula New Member

I just hope when he does retire from the music industry he'll go on to writing. I'll be all over his memoirs.

11. mcrickson

mcrickson Reckless Endangerment

I can imagine that what might possibly could happen is that he'll release one more album after YoR, retire, and at the end of five years following we'll see a major return like YATQ, except there will be no follow ups. Just a final tour. And then he'll really call it quits. And only after this can I see some project involving himself and Johnny Marr happening. Something grand, and yet, subtle. Hmm...Just what I can see..:blushing:

12. sweet and tender hooligan

sweet and tender hooligan Black cloud

In the NME i read ( i was bored at work i did not buy it i must stress)he has a song called " Your gonna need someone to help on your side"

13. Irish Budd

Irish Budd Oh well.Enough said.

He does it's about someone with a broken hip..

14. Poppy Full

Poppy Full Sycophantic slag

I saw that too! And they misquoted several lyrics from YOR. :mad:

15. One of your children

One of your children New Member

Hes mellowed and hes letting go,hes proved his points and age makes u think "fuck it" let someone eles be the voice of the worlds wrongs ive had my say! he will still do small gigs/privet venues but i got this feeling a smiths farewell is on the cards! it would make so much sense,a full circle.
    Hes made so much money to not even worry about the old court losses! and if its fairwell he will make the deal as sweet as he can for him self! It would be selfish not to reform for a last world tour,as people go crazy for a smiths track at a morrissey gig! Its all about the smiths!

16. David

David Member

Morrissey retiring: not gonna happen. He's being a bit inconsistent. Music is my life, he stresses at all times, but I might retire? I think this is a Morrisseyan attention ploy -- not to say that's a negative or crass thing, just keep that in mind.

17. Riot101

Riot101 New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.myspace.com/riotgrrl101
    How devestating! I know he's going to want to stop eventually - but five years? I can't be satisfied with only five more years. Here's to hoping he'll keep on til he's 60+!!!

18. leedoggpimp

leedoggpimp Member

could you imagine moz talking off his shirt at age 60? eeek :(:(

19. jwizjam

jwizjam New Member

Morrissey will retire when he is no longer relevant. He is a long way from that. He has never been a man to try to impress the media. . . always somewhere beyond their reach. That is what sets him apart from a vast number of musician/writers. He is always true to himself. He doesn't change, but evolves. His roots are still embedded. That is why he and his words and music will live long in everybody's heart and psyche. Hopefully the man himself will also.

20. Jammy Poet

Jammy Poet New Member

"..this is the last song, i'll ever sing....(groaann) no, ive changed my mind again....(hurrrrahh) "