NME Letters page, 10th August

One thing I've always loved about The Cure is, err, help I'm really struggling here!

That they're better than Morrissey and people don't confuse them with Van Morrison all the time?

That they're better than Morrissey and people don't confuse them with Van Morrison all the time?

In a subjective and tribalistic way, I can't flipping stand The Cure. The clothes, the hair, the horrible keyboard sounds, the (frequently) dire lyrics, the irritating singing voice, the whole ludicrous goth thing. Yuck! I read a review which described them as 'the soundtrack for spoilt, middle-class adolescents'. Can't argue with that.
However, in an objective and musical way, they have written some brilliant singles, especially in the mid to late 80's. Just Like Heaven, Close to Me, Catch Her, Lovesong, Pictures of You, In Between Days, Caterpillar Girls etc - genius pop, all. Also, I'm sure their albums from that period (and before) were splendid (if you like that kinda thing), especially Disintegration.
But everything they've released since 1992 has been critically panned, and a huge commercial failure (by their standards). All the singles from this period that I've heard (e.g. Mint Cars, The 13th) have been absolutely dire.
So, although subjectively, I think they're generally awful, objectively I'd say they were putting out much better stuff in their 80's peak than Morrissey has for a long time, but if we were to look at what both 'acts' have released in the last 10 years, Morrissey wins hands down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom