NME: Johnny Marr - 'The Big Interview' (no Morrissey mentions)

Don't know, wouldn't it be fair to say that unlike Morrissey who has carried the Smiths torch (even with LIHS) that Johnny Marr has become a ....

BROKEN MAN ?

<>

No, I don't think it would. In fact, it's trite and insulting. I'd say above all else including musical output Johnny's managed to become a happy and well-adjusted human. Can we honestly say that about Morrissey... especially these last few years? YOU LOVE MORRISSEY ABOVE ALL ELSE!!! Message received loud and clear.

Last edited:
Marrs career is hard to pin down. I was a modest mouse fan before he joined the band and the record he plays on isn’t there best or worst album. At the end of the day it’s just to hard to tell what he really added to the band for me to give him much credit or appreciation. Same with the talking heads and and all of the other established bands he joined. I’m not saying he didn’t add to it just that it’s hard to see. Must have been a blast though so I cant blame him for doing all of it. Electronic was good and so was messenger. The follow up was alright but kinda boring and boomslang while having some neat moments musically didn’t have the best songs and the lyrics were embarrassing at times. Titles like bangin on, you are the magic, headland don’t cut it imo. Maybe it’s not completely fair to judge him and his work because it’s not the smiths and doesn’t sound like he smiths but if he gets his rep and a bunch of praise for said music then I think it somewhat fair to hold it against him to a degree as I really liked the smiths unique sound

Those poor concert goers in "Introducing Morrissey." It was all going so well.
:lbf: Actually, there's a lot of dodgy singing in that concert, just to add further insult to the adoring hordes. Now My Heart is Full is painful, he's all over the shop. Brilliant performances but shocking intonation. There was a time when would wander off pitch regularly but he doesn't do it so much now. Curious.

:lbf: Actually, there's a lot of dodgy singing in that concert, just to add further insult to the adoring hordes. Now My Heart is Full is painful, he's all over the shop. Brilliant performances but shocking intonation. There was a time when would wander off pitch regularly but he doesn't do it so much now. Curious.
I think he would aim for passion over precision. I've always liked how rough around the edges Smiths/Morrissey concerts were back in the day. I half suspect he took some vocal lessons around the turn of the century and learned some techniques he hadn't known prior, not to mention a distinct chilling out on the flailing around the stage. "Something of value may be lost" eh?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his smooth delivery. I just wish he'd use it on a wider variety of songs, given the back catalog he has.

I'm in that video, for some reason (I was drunk) I decided to climb onto the stage at the Sheffield gig.
It happens! The first time I got drunk at a Morrissey show- (I'd previously refused any intoxicants so as to have a clear memory) I ended up in the biggest "hug-in" I've ever been in. It was like a mosh pit made of love.

I think he would aim for passion over precision. I've always liked how rough around the edges Smiths/Morrissey concerts were back in the day. I half suspect he took some vocal lessons around the turn of the century and learned some techniques he hadn't known prior, not to mention a distinct chilling out on the flailing around the stage. "Something of value may be lost" eh?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his smooth delivery. I just wish he'd use it on a wider variety of songs, given the back catalog he has.
I miss the flailing. It seemed to disappear around the Quarry comeback. I'm guessing he looked in the mirror and decided he was too old for all that nonsense. And possibly feared looking ridiculous, since he'd become a smooth LA operator. He seems to have got progressively more inactive ever since. Soon he will be pulling up a comfy chair and getting the dominoes out.

I miss the flailing. It seemed to disappear around the Quarry comeback. I'm guessing he looked in the mirror and decided he was too old for all that nonsense. And possibly feared looking ridiculous, since he'd become a smooth LA operator. He seems to have got progressively more inactive ever since. Soon he will be pulling up a comfy chair and getting the dominoes out.
Hey, I just hit 40 and I flail much less than I used to as well.
Besides, it can turn on you, like wine to vinegar.

I always felt he recognized that his voice had changed during the period around and just after maladjusted and decided to work and adjust it resulting in a smoother less strained delay very

Oh dear! You feel genuinely worried he's going to put his hip joint out.
Morrissey is getting up there, so I'm okay if he just wants to come out and sing. He's doing a great job of that, and I caught him enough during his arse up bent backwards over the stage monitors years.

Marrs career is hard to pin down. I was a modest mouse fan before he joined the band and the record he plays on isn’t there best or worst album. At the end of the day it’s just to hard to tell what he really added to the band for me to give him much credit or appreciation. Same with the talking heads and and all of the other established bands he joined. I’m not saying he didn’t add to it just that it’s hard to see. Must have been a blast though so I cant blame him for doing all of it.

I like Modest Mouse too, and I can see where Johnny's contribution to their album was not that noticeable because for one, their previous guitarist Dann Gallucci was really a player in the same vein as Johnny - jangly rhythms and haunting atmospherics - that's why Isaac Brock sought him out. I'd say that Johnny's aim was to NOT change the Modest Mouse sound, but to live inside it. That being said, I love his playing on songs like "Fire It Up". And I agree that Johnny must have had a lot of fun playing with them - it's just so different from anything he'd done previously - he said it really stretched him as a guitarist.

Have you seen this video of Modest Mouse in Norway? It's got Johnny shouting along with "Bury Me With It" - it's just the greatest thing! It's the first song, although the whole video is amazing.

It is strange how sorry this man can be -->>

You're saltier than the balls of the gentleman on the cover of the "novel" you use as your avatar.

23sbcl.jpg

23q2p6.jpg

Last edited:
There is more energy in the first 2 mins of Playland than any track on Morrissey's last 2 albums!

Back
Top Bottom