NME: "Iggy Pop: “I assumed things would quiet down once I turned 65. That hasn’t been the case”" - Morrissey mentions (December 2, 2022)

NME-HERO-IGGY-POP@2560x1625-696x442.jpg

Excerpt:

"Watt first collided with Pop while working on a yet-to-be-released project for the former frontman of The Smiths. “I was a guest detail on a Morrissey track he produced,” Pop says. “When Morrissey wrote to me about it, he said, ‘The producer on this is extraordinary,’ and he really was.” Following the feature, Watt asked Pop if he could “knock up some tracks” for him. Pop obliged, thanks in part to the producer’s “fine ear” and his “ability to play and sing with exceptional timing, pitch and tonality.”"

Thanks to 🦃
FWD.

Very cool, M introduced him to Andrew. Since we heard RWA, I’m gonna take a guess & say Pop contributes to Ha Ha Harlem, though it would be unexpected/interesting if M put him on a slower number.

It was confirmed somewhere that is indeed the song he guests on.

What a legend. You never quite forget the first time you hear an album like Raw Power. You don't just hear it - you experience it. It's visceral. Iggy brings an energy and a passion to everything he does. And clearly he has never been a fan of political correctness or self-censorship when it come to expression. Long may he go on.

It was confirmed somewhere that is indeed the song he guests on.

Seemed to have missed that. Do you ( or anyone) have a link, or remember where you read it?

What a legend. You never quite forget the first time you hear an album like Raw Power. You don't just hear it - you experience it. It's visceral. Iggy brings an energy and a passion to everything he does. And clearly he has never been a fan of political correctness or self-censorship when it come to expression. Long may he go on.

Fun House is pretty damn raw too….

play LOUD

Great to hear from the irrepressible Iggy Pop. I hope to hear him on the new Moz LP soon. I’ll have his new project to keep me entertained in the meantime.

Seems to be confirmed indirectly that Iggy’s featuring on “Ha Ha Harlem”.

He describes the bassline:

“There was a lot of mystique to the track. I loved the track it had a lot of life to it. There was something really unusual he’d done with the bassline,” Pop added of the Morrissey song.

“With the treatment of the bassline on this particular track, I was like, how did [Watt] do that? What he had done was played the lower two strings of a particular Fender guitar through a strange Japanese amplifier called a Roland instead of playing the bass guitar.”

This matches Mozza’s comments in that interview last year:

“the bass is a ferocious rasp … distorted at times …”.

Intrigued to hear how it turns out…

Pop’s comments shed light on Bonfire and remind us exactly what we crave: music and passionate commentary.

I really enjoyed the chat between Morrissey and Sam where they broke down the songs and shared their perspectives. Can we not have more of this, instead of the psychodrama?

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom